Anyone for Riddles?

grondmaster

Anyone for Riddles?

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to our forum Beowulf. :happyelf:
At night they come without being fetched,
And by day they are lost without being stolen.
Me thinks they be celestial twinklers, the stars.
'Share and enjoy'

valedhelgwath

Anyone for Riddles?

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That was wierd. Did you move this topic, Grondy? I could have sworn I entered it in the Writer's Guild and stepped out of it in the Forsaken Inn.

Beowulf

Anyone for Riddles?

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi Valedhelgwath (bit of a mouthful!) :)

Yeh, I'm wondering whether the game would work best on an existing forum or on a new site. An existing forum obviously has got the user base already, while in a new site I could do more fancy stuff.

In terms of the riddles... Shadows isn't far away, but you still get shadows in the daytime. Right with the second. The answer to the third is much more down to earth than 'history' or 'time'. Keep guessing!

Beowulf

Anyone for Riddles?

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yep, the celestial twinklers it is! :smoke:

I asked for my own thread to be moved after finding out the taverns were for more general discussion.

Any other riddle writers out there?

ProgHead777

Anyone for Riddles?

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes, welcome to PT, Beowulf!

I'm not sure if this belongs here since I'm not sure if it's actually a riddle. More of a math problem I suppose. Anyway...

I saw this on a website a few weeks ago and it totally stumped me. I'm an entirely right brain thinker so that's not really surprising. And of course, the answer wasn't on the site :mad: Perhaps some bright left brainer could offer some insight?

Three men go hunting away from home, and they are out much later than they expected. So they go to the nearest hotel, and the clerk says a room is $30.00. So each man pays $10.00, and the men go to their room.

Then the manager comes up to the clerk and says: " How much did you charge those men for thier room? "

The clerk says: " $30.00 "

The manager says: " Well the new rate is $25.00. " He pulls 5 one dollar bills from his pocket and tells the clerk to give them back their $5.00.

As the clerk heads back to thier room, he thinks to himself: " It would be easier if I just gave each hunter $1.00, and kept the other $2.00 for myself as a tip". So he gives each hunter $1.00, and pockets the $2.00.

If each hunter paid $10.00 and got $1.00 back, that makes it so each man paid $9.00. 3 times $9.00 is $27.00, and the clerk had $2.00, added together that makes $29.00, so where is the other dollar?

I know the answer is going to make me feel really, really stupid, but that's ok.... I already KNOW I'm stupid :funnylaugh:
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

Beowulf

Anyone for Riddles?

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi ProgHead,

The tricky bit in your riddle happens at the end when you add what the clerk has to what each man paid. The clerks $2 is part of what each man paid and should be taken away to give the price of the room: 27 - 2 = $25.

If you want to know what happened to the original $30: well the hunters have $3, the hotel has $25 and the clerk has $2. ;)

It seems my third riddle is a bit too hard, so here's an easier wording:

I tell who is wanted, and who is lost.
I never lie, but don't trust me.
I won't take your soul, but I'll hold your past.

TomBombadillo

Anyone for Riddles?

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Your memory? :orchuh:

Prog: your little riddle puzzled me too, but I'm not a mathematics genie, so I couldn't figure it out. And besides, I'm tired. :orcgin: But I think Beowulf just solved it for you.
Denial is not a river in Africa.

rednell

Anyone for Riddles?

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

posted on 13/1/2003 at 00:40 by Einar in another thread:

Here are some riddles that I found in the Hobbit. Can you answer them without looking into the book

Voiceless it cries, wingless flutters,
Toothless bites, Mouthless mutters.

(moved by Rednell)

grondmaster

Anyone for Riddles?

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

A photograph maybe Beowulf?

Voiceless it cries, wingless flutters,
Toothless bites, Mouthless mutters.
I don't remember Einar's Hobbit riddle, but the wind fits some of the clues: the wind cries (howls) when it goes through a tight place;the wind flutters a flag; when the wind is cold it bits, and I'm not sure when it mutters, maybe when it is gusty?

The only riddles I know are so old their beards are white.

What is black and white and red (read) all over? This one works better orally.

What's black and white and red and black and white and red, and black ... and white and red? (I think I stole this from Ross)
'Share and enjoy'

ProgHead777

Anyone for Riddles?

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A photograph maybe Beowulf?

I haven't seen Beowulf around in quite a while, but I'm willing to bet your right on the money, Grondy :thumbup:
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

Return to “The Ivy Bush”