Dog Language

Delidia

Dog Language

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Woofedy Woof! lol. j/k. i think they have a language. kinda like 101 Dalmations when Pongo and Perdita start the gossip chain! So i guess[to me] they have a language. all animals have a language, we just dont know it and dont understand it.

Sheryl

Dog Language

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think the same. It`s wierd how some dogs e.t.c can understand some of what we say, but, we don`t understand anything what they say. I get confused. :funnylaugh:
I love you! I love you!
I must say it with all my heart!
I love you! I love you!
I wish we weren`t apart!
You know who I am
I know who you r
I have told u this sweet sumthin
even tho u r afar!

valedhelgwath

Dog Language

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Quite why this thread was started in Website General Discussion and not a Tavern, I don't know, hence it's been moved.

Similar to ourselves, dogs have a language that is universal and which can be understood by other dogs throughout the world. It is a language they are born with and instictively use and understand, just as humans do with ours.

The language I am talking about is of course body language, a means of comunication that is often overlooked, even though it is used almost everytime two people or two dogs, or any other animal, encounter each other.

As for dogs understanding their masters... I think they learn certain commands which they recognise, but often more important than the actual word is the tone of voice it is delivered in.nn[Edited on 18/3/2003 by Valedhelgwath]

PlasticSquirrel

Dog Language

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

As for dogs understanding their masters... I think they learn certain commands which they recognise, but often more important than the actual word is the tone of voice it is delivered in.

I wish mine would, well I think he understands it, he just doesn't really care. I think the ears raised quizzical look means, "If you wanted the stick back so badly why did you throw it away in the first place?" and many other things, like "but I thought it was MY chocolate cake!" and this morning it meant "But if the dear little girl really wanted those biscuits she wouldn't have hidden them under her bad where nobody could find them except me, for my nose is supreme, and these are MY biscuits now."
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Delidia

Dog Language

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

"If you wanted the stick so badly why did you throw it away in the first place?"

Lol, cute Plastic. I dont have a dog, but i did, and he bit my upper lip. dumb dog, i always hated him, but i guess there he was saying "Hey, dont show your fangs at me or il..." :D

Ross

Dog Language

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

My Guinea Pigs have language, squeak means feed me, squeaking repeatedly whilst you open the fridge means I know you're in the fridge just bring me the food, Purring means I'm randy I'm going to hump something, Nutting means stroke me harder I like that, licking you means I like you, now feed me something!

My Rabbit however, grunting means I'm going to attack you, grunting whilst charging at you means I am attacking you, humping my dads arm means I'm a confused female rabbit, carrying a pair of socks around for a week means I'm a stupid rabbit who want's babies so badly I'm mothering a pair of socks, Bouncing on the floor/couch, I'm stupid, Inspecting a plate means is there anything like yorkshire puddings on there I can steal and run behind the couch to eat!
Sod off I'm busy!

Sheryl

Dog Language

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh:

Okay, that was disgusting crossed with funny! :funnylaugh: HUMPING YOUR DADS ARM!!! :funnylaugh: Cool! :funnylaugh: That would have been funny to watch, is what I mean.

My dog sleeps most of the time, so, he doesn`t have many actions. :boring: :dead: nn[Edited on 19/3/2003 by Sheryl]
I love you! I love you!

I love you! I love you!

I wish we weren`t apart!

You know who I am

I know who you r

even tho u r afar!

Aulë

Dog Language

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

, "If you wanted the stick back so badly why did you throw it away in the first place?" hghahahahaha :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: :funnylaugh: I liked that one Mr. Squirrel......hahahahhaa
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

Sheryl

Dog Language

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Luckily, for you Plastic, your jokes actually make sense. :funnylaugh: A prime example, all the jokes you`ve ever told. :funnylaugh:
I love you! I love you!

I love you! I love you!

I wish we weren`t apart!

You know who I am

I know who you r

even tho u r afar!

Luthien79

Dog Language

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes, dog language is universal. Puppies learn many aspects of that language from their mother when very young, hence a puppy who is hand reared and not with other dogs whilst young can grow up with communication problems and behavioural problems.

Dogs do communicate mainly by body language. They notice human body language that even that human doesn't notice.
When learning commands, a dog learns to associate a particular sound with praise if it performs a certain action. It doesn't know the sound as an actual word with a meaning like we do.
I get our Jess to fetch the leads and stuff when we are going for a walk. She gets no vocal commands. I might point to where the leads are and she goes to get them.
When I want them to stand for their grooming, it's all as subtle as to body positioning. It's so subtle, I can't even describe what I do and the dogs stand sidewards from me so that I can groom them. They know straight away. I can tilt my head to the side and they roll over so that I can comb their bellies. I don't have to say a word to them.

Dogs communicate mainly with body language in the wild so it is more effective when training them. I do use vocal commands but I tend to convert over to silent body signals as the dog comes to learn the new task.

Dogs are clever in that they can learn the differences between their own language and ours. For example, if another dog shows it's teeth at them, it is showing aggression, whereas if a person shows their teeth at them, they are smiling which is a friendly gesture. Dogs often learn to smile back. A couple of my own dogs have tried it on occasion, it looks so odd.
I can smile at my dogs and they put their ears down and wag their tails at me in response. If another dog showed it's teeth at them, they would react aggressively in response. Dogs are really clever when figuring us out. It's humans who are normally the ignorant one when it comes to dog language. I'm so glad that I understand my dogs, it means I can make myself more understood by them and you can get anything you want out of them once that happens.

Return to “The Green Dragon”