tolkein recipes

tolkein recipes

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Sheryl dont knock anything until you have tried it. This was intended to be a not too serious subject but not for being nip-picked or ridiculed which I feel you have done. As a matter of fact I have been cooking for over 50 years and take cooking seriously and believe it or not still have a family alive to prove it!!

tolkein recipes

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Bilbo's Pie
Line a pie dish with shortcrust pastry. Fill with a layer of sliced onion, then a layer of sliced sausage , then a layer of eggs (hardboiled or as they come,) then a layer of bacon, repeat until the dish is full, season with salt, pepper, powdered thyme , then cover with a top of
pastry, sprinkled with cheese, bake in the over for about 40 mins or so, until cooked.
Seriously, I think I'd replace the egg layer with cooked flat pasta, or thin sliced potatoes painting each of the layers with whipped raw egg.

However, it is your recipe and you may make it as you wish. Please take the comments of our eleven year old Sheryl with a grain of salt, for she is still learning how to be polite.

How about Oliphaunt Stew

Take one Oliphaunt, dice into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
place in a large pot
add sixteen bunches of carrots, sliced into 3/16 inch disks
add seven heads of cellary choped
add two bushels of pared potatoes, each cut into about 16 pieces
add eighteen onions cut into each eight pieces
add two gallons of peas or green beans
add two skinned and boned rabbits
finally, cover with water and let boil for 1 hour, salt and pepper to taste.

You may wish to delete the rabbit, as some people don't appreciate hare in their stew. :elfbiggrin: nn[Edited on 20/3/2003 by Grondmaster]
'Share and enjoy'

tolkein recipes

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Okay...not to judge a book by its cover but...EEEEEWWWW. ok. i would never ever make[nor try] that. *shudders* yuck. I will leave that for you to eat. Il pass!

tolkein recipes

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

You may wish to delete the rabbit, as some people don't appreciate hare in their stew. :elfbiggrin:

LOL Grondy, (hair, hare- ha ha)

It sounds pretty interesting Grondy, only one problem, i haven't found Oliphaunt anywhere, i searched throught about 10 stores!
Could you please notify me, where could i get it?

But same as Delidia, i would probobly *shudder*. But i think you would need a pretty big pot to make that ;)

tolkein recipes

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Mellie, deleted both of Sheryl's very rude and inconsiderate posts to Nerwen. That kind of behavior will not be tolerated at Planet-Tolkien.

Nerwen, I appologize for Sheryl's behavior.

I thought your receipe sounded wonderful, but i do have to agree with Grondy on a variation on it, using the pasta. My son, would eat it much better that way, but either way he would at least try it.

tolkein recipes

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

your recipe is aptly named as it sounds very much like something Bilbo would serve. One I must try sometime.

Grondy, I think we could easily feed all of Rohan with your Oliphant Stew, if we could just find some oliphant.

I think I shall dig into my recipe book. I am sure I can find something fit for a hobbit.

tolkein recipes

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

What a fun thread!

Well, I have always had good luck finding really fresh oliphaunt meat at the Biggly-Wiggly. You may find it canned or frozen in smaller portions at the Pick and Save. I tried Sam's and other warehouse stores but it always seems gamey to me. :P: Happy cooking everyone!

I would never let Pippen cook for me. He likes mushrooms.

tolkein recipes

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I`m really sorry Nerwen, I was only joking around. Pulling a leg even. I`ll keep my mouth shut from now on. :( :sad:
I love you! I love you!
I must say it with all my heart!
I love you! I love you!
I wish we weren`t apart!
You know who I am
I know who you r
I have told u this sweet sumthin
even tho u r afar!

tolkein recipes

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I like the sound of the pasta instesad of the egg. Thing is that is the kind of food my family like, they are typical hobbits!! I thought it was just the thng that Bilbo would eat, I'll give you a sticky cake recipe next.

Sheryl, thanks for your post, accepted.

Cant get oliphants here in Devon, would dartmoor sheep do instead do you think.

Pudding recipe,

take a quantity of meringes, lay in the bottom of a dish, cover with ice cream, then another layer of meringue, then more ice cream, cover this with soft fruit, ie rasps or straws, pour over double cream, whipped or not, decorate with more fruit, or glace cherried etc. eat immediately before the ie cream melts.

Summer drink

Ice cream soda, or lemonade, red wine, or white, mix together, serve in tall glasses with a dollop of ice cream on the top, decorate with mint leaves.

Return to “The Green Dragon”