Today is Friday the Thirteenth

Post#1 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:29 pm

Oh Dear! Friday the 13th fell on a Friday this month. Are you superstitious? Are you planning on staying in bed today? Do you have any thing in this vein to share with us?

Personally I'm not superstitious; however, I won't walk under a ladder just because. :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

laurelindhe ilmarin

Post#2 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:47 pm

A wise policy, Grondmaster.

Friday the Thirteenth is no more harmful than any given Monday, the Dreaded day, or than any major holiday that includes the tradition of drinking alcohol, it just sounds evil because someone decided to give it a stigma-perhaps someone got dumped that day and cursed it? In the Wiccan religion, which in itself connotates witchcraft and shady things, Friday the Thirteenth has no significance whatsoever. What is the big deal? Can't we make Tuesday the Third more dreadful?

Post#3 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:13 pm

By all acounts, Friday the 13th was the day the Knights Templar where all rounded up and assainated in france a thousand years ago or so. The Knights Templar where searching and perhaps protecting a great secret, with that came a lot of power and some king(or perhapes one of the popes, I can't remember, pretty sure it was a pope actually) or another decided to charge them with false crimes against the crown/church in order to get rid of them. But since politics and religion is out of bounds here I shall not devulge this great secret :P aparently friday the 13th has been considered a day of bad luck ever since.

Post#4 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:28 am

I don't think Friday the 13th is so bad, just found out my boyfriend will be home at 10 pm at the nearby bust stop rather than midnight at the ferry. So I'll have him home 2 hours and.... 25 minutes earler than expected! Wohooo!! :D :orcgin: :juggleemot:
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Post#5 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:49 am

Interesting post, Rhodry. I always wondered where the dread of Friday the 13th came from. You've peaked my curiosity to research the Knights of Templar story more. Personally I have no superstitions about the day myself and seldom notice when this event happens. But I am sure there are those afraid to get out of bed today. I'm just looking forward to the weekend!

Post#6 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:22 am

I've got no qualms with Friday the 13th. Though I do hate it when it falls on a full moon night - people just get weird then, in my neighborhood, playing pranks and doing really stupid stuff. But I'll pet a black cat and walk around a ladder (I never walk under it any day since one tried to fall on me...on a Saturday! ;) ) with no worries. :D

Post#7 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:12 pm

Further to the Knights Templar story.....

King Philip IV took refuge from an angry mob one day in one of the Templar buildings. While there, he was astounded to see how much treasure the Knights had stored there (for the industrious souls had spent the past decade or so trading with the Saracens rather than fighting them). Seeing this treasure, Philip realised he could kill two birds with one stone. His royal treasury was empty, and taking the Templar gold would help refill it. Also, at that time, countries did not keep large regular armies. They tended to conscript troops at times of war to save money. With the Holy Wars at an end, the Templars actually had the largest standing army in Europe. As most of them were camped out in France, Philip felt threatened by this.

Having decided to do away with the Templars and take their gold, he gave sealed orders to his secret police etc, with specific orders that they were not to be opened until dawn, Friday 13th (cannot remember which month) 1307. The templars must have got wind of the surprise attack, however, for as Philip's secret police and soldiers made their surprise attacks simultaneously on buildings throughout France, they managed to arrest just seven Templars. All the rest had disappeared, along with most of their gold and weapons, plus the largest fleet in Europe.

The mystery remains to this day, however, of where they all disappeared to. They just seemed to melt away, and never reappeared as the Templars. Strangely, it is said that a few years later at the Battle of Bannockburn, in which Robert the Bruce of Scotland was fighting the English, a small fresh army appeared on the field at the end of the day's fighting. The English appeared to recognise this army, and though it was only small, they fled the field rather than fight it. It is said that this army was composed of Templar Knights, a rumour reinforced by a grave yard found on a small Scotish island containing six Templar graves dating from this period.

Whatever, the Templars seemed to disappear into an underground organisation, most likely becoming years later the foundation of British Freemasonary.

So, Friday 13th. I kind of shy away from it normally, but don't go to great lengths to not do things or worry about it. I spent the day at sea, and we all survived without anything going wrong. I'd call that a good day.

Post#8 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:37 pm

I had a reasonably good day today.
A mind full of fire and a fistful of steel.

Post#9 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:53 pm

The mystery remains to this day, however, of where they all disappeared to. They just seemed to melt away, and never reappeared as the Templars.

if ur wondering most theorize and have evidence that the remaining templar knights fled to the Americas.

Post#10 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:54 pm

I have a book somewhere about the Knights Templar...... Holy Blood, Holy Grail...... read it once but I don't remember much about it.

Perhaps I should find it.

Return to “The Green Dragon”