LOTR vs. Star Wars

jedi marhwini

LOTR vs. Star Wars

Post#1 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:26 pm

This thread was done on the Star Wars website forum with a lot of feedback, though some got a little hot under the collar. I hope you can give both the respect they deserve (unlike some in the SW forum). To answer my own question, I like Star Wars a little better, but only because I saw them first. Though Lord of the Rings is coming up fast in my list of favorite things.

LOTR vs. Star Wars

Post#2 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:15 pm

I like both equally well. I used to compare them when I first saw LOTR in theatres, but now I don't. In some ways, they're too far apart to compare. Suffice it to say Star Wars is my fave sci-fi and LOTR is my fave fantasy. :D

LOTR vs. Star Wars

Post#3 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:31 pm

Great question, I think everyone holds whichever trilogy they saw first in slight higher esteem. The only difference was that after reading the books, LoTR took a new form for me. I have to say that the books breathe new life into the movies and just expand so much on an already incredible world. You have to love this trilogy

Túrin Turambar

LOTR vs. Star Wars

Post#4 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:40 pm

oo000oooo000oo i'm soooo mad about this!

naw just kidding. As you'll probably learn in due time most people here are fairly laid back and won't flame you out, unlike some forums you go to that start with a 'S' and end in 'Wars' I'm gonna leave it anonymous...

HOwever considering your question, i'll answer you with a question, and then i'll reply... DO you mean LOTR movies, or can you consider the books? Also which starwars are you talking about the original 3 including the new ones? Or just the original 3?

LOTR vs. Star Wars

Post#5 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:47 pm

I vote for LOTR, but just because I have never really liked Star Wars. My favorit Space related Sci-Fi would defenitly be Star Trek! So really I can't compare LOTR with star Wars!

LOTR vs. Star Wars

Post#6 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:06 am

Star Wars is a tribute to LOTR be Lucas. He said so in an interview. C'mon the storylines almost match. Yes, yes, there is no ring and all. But how if you compare Death star to Barad Dur and the reactors in the centre to the Mount Doom. Instead of dropping the ring, they just shot a few lasers into it and KABOOM!!! Its difficult to visualise but the essence is the same! Black bad, white good!
I am nobody.....and nobody is perfect.......therefore I am perfect.

LOTR vs. Star Wars

Post#7 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:22 pm

Areas where they aren't comparable IMHO are: the LOTR books are better than the LOTR movies; while, the SW movies (well maybe just the first three) are better than the SW books (those that I've read anyway).
'Share and enjoy'

Túrin Turambar

LOTR vs. Star Wars

Post#8 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:15 pm

ya i never read the SW books, but i really enjoyed the original 3 movies growing up. Return of the Jedi was released before my time started. I've decided my answer for your question.....

Comparing the movies I say the original 3 Star Wars movies take the cake.

Comparing the SW movie to the LOTR books... No competition LOTR wins hands down.

Can't really compare the SW books to LOTR books, because i never read SW books. But i'm sure i'd choose LOTR any day.

LOTR vs. Star Wars

Post#9 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:58 am

Digressing slightly it seems to me that films made from books suffer almost the same tragedy as books written after the films.

I've glanced at a few SW books and they seem one dimensional. The first few SW films are classics but the books lack depth whereas with LotR the books are magnificent and the films less so because they lack so much.

Could it be that each idea works best within whichever medium it originated in? Anything that comes afterwards is a mere shadow?

LOTR vs. Star Wars

Post#10 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:38 am

Oh Star Wars! There's a new sequel "The Revenge of The Sith" was that right? I just love reading books, watching movies, and play and create games in the computer! Watching them go all over all of those makes my stressful life happier! Star Wars is great ! And so is Lord of The Rings!
I had two best friends, Harry Potter Fan and Star Wars Fan and me LOTR Fan, how amazing :shocked: ! Star Wars is really great not because of my S.W. friend is beside me right now playing a Star War game. But I think I like LOTR more because the way it was created was very fantastic, it seems to be very real! It was like they were never created as if they were really there!Star Wars well seems to happen in future someday but I just can't find myself in there. Althought I'm more of the future because of my failures but I still found myself in the hobbit hole in peace. And Peace is such a complicated word and maybe I should not use it.But if I was given a wish I would like to both of them real. I never lie when it comes to feelings and wishes!
Oops I forgot something! :teacher: Star Wars vs LOTR thing is just made to attract more viewers and more people!

Return to “The Green Dragon”