colors, colours, whatever you call it

valedhelgwath

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I believe many insects have their visual spectrum shifted further towards the violet - ultra-violet end of the spectrum and so do percieve colours differently to humans. Many flowers that are pollenated by insects take advantage of this and actually have colours beyond the range that humans can see (some of them have markings almost like runways leading the insects to the nectar and thus also the pollen).

Do girls actually prefer pink, or is it just ingrained from childhood that they should?

ProgHead777

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I know what your saying Gimli and I've thought about that myself. While all colors are of a fixed wavelength, our perception of color is a function of the brain, meaning that it very well could vary widely among people. Since there is no way to see through someone elses eyes and process information through their brain, there's no way we could ever know. In theory, this could be the case with all of the senses, meaning that we all might have very different perceptions of reality. If you could actually trade minds with another person and perceive the world through them, using their brain, you might find yourself in a very bizarre world indeed. Like Morpheus said in The Matrix, "What is real ?"
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

grondmaster

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Gimli: Yes, for many years I used to worry about the answer to your question, and then I decided that because we can't see through the eyes of others, the problem was academic; not worth the effort of further contemplation. Until such time that some of our sci-fi equipment becomes a reality we will probably never know the answer. :)
'Share and enjoy'

gimli_axe_wielder

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

True True.... but its till fun to contemplate i think!

and there are dogs that see in Black and White.... another difference of perception..

Indeed.. What is real?????
GRONDY WORSHIPER

PlasticSquirrel

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

This is a spot the stonehead conversation isn't it? ;)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Allyssa

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Stoneheads? I dont think any of the great philosphers and scientists though history - who have contemplated this very question - would take too kindly to being called stoneheads.

If reality is nothing more than a perception, how can we even be sure that we actually exist at all? It is possible that we are completely mistaken about everything. Other people may not exist. The world may not exist. The internet may not exist. PT (oh horror or horrors!) may not exist. What is the one thing that we cannot possbily be mistaken about?

We are all, to varying degrees, thinking. The fact that you are wondering if you are thinking, means that you are thinking! It is a very old philosophical concept.

Descartes: "I think, therefore I am." - sometime early this century? - if I am not mistaken! :hahaha: :funnylaugh:

nn[Edited on 29/8/2002 by Allyssa]
"May the Angels Guide"

grondmaster

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

René Descartes (1596-1650) said it, I think; however, it was better said by Douglas Adams who wrote something like:
" I think; therefore, I am" and went on to prove black is white and white is black, and got run over in a zebra crossing.
I looked for, but couldn't find his actual quote, so the above will have to do. I don't even remember about whom Dougy was writing. :P:
'Share and enjoy'

PlasticSquirrel

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I've usually found that philosophy only ever really comes up in conversation in a very smoky room, if you get my drift. Most people of sound mind, tend to tire of it very quickly and move on to something less abstract.
But I may be wrong, it's just my experience that dictates that to me.
:smoke:
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

ProgHead777

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

"I...I'm Not und'r th' alfluence of incahol! I only had tee martuni's!" :dunce:
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

chikakat

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I guess this is sort of related...I wanted to share this because I think it's kind of interesting...there's this girl I know, and when you say a letter to her, she sees a color - her senses are crossed over and sort of mix together. (There's a word for it - synsomething - but I can't think of it off the top of my head.) Granted, that sounds more like she's on acid than that she's got a condition of some sort, but it almost adds a whole new dimension to her perception.

Return to “The Green Dragon”