a moment of pondering

Tinúviel

a moment of pondering

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I know exactly how you feel Ringfacwen, some of my friends can ramble on for ages about nothing and when I do have something to say it's as if nobody can hear me. :mad: I'm actually better at writing stuff down.
I'm not really a writer but i am an artist and I sometimes get a creative block when I just don't feel inspired and nothing I draw/create looks good enough to me.

grondmaster

a moment of pondering

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

QueenPippin: What you are writing about is called writers' block and there are more words about it under [u]The Writers' Guild[/u]. I also have trouble coming up with something from scratch.

Ringfacwen: Your conversation deficiency or whatever it is called sounds just like mine. I can join in but can't start one and can't keep one going. Even here I more often stop a conversation rather than help it along. But I mean well. :lookar:
'Share and enjoy'

Allyssa

a moment of pondering

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Aw, Grondy, but some of the threads you started have gone on for more than ten pages!

As for writers block, you wouldn't be a writer (or an artist) if you had never suffered from it. One of my teachers had a theory for a cure: The creative side of your brain occasionally gets tired from overwork (block), so you need to give it a rest by using the other side of your brain. To do this, you need to do something un-creative, like cleaning, re-organising your desk, check your spelling, clean out your fridge or whatever. Works for me. :D
"May the Angels Guide"

valedhelgwath

a moment of pondering

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I find this site is really good because there are so many topics that I can respond to without having to create my own. It is so much easier to join in than start something. Some days though, I only feel like reading what others have written and so make very few posts, while other days I feel like writing more.

I do a bit of writing too and often get writers block. At the moment, though, I am suffering from something else. The last piece I wrote (Rangers of the North), although it is not perfect by any degree, is in my opinion the best piece I have ever written. I'm not really a writer, but just toy with stories every now and again, and now after writing the Ranger's story, I feel I have reached my own personal pinnacle. Because I don't think I can improve on that story, and am unwilling to write something that is not as good, I feel really reluctant to write anything else.

It's a really wierd feeling, and hopefully one day I'll feel the urge to write again, but at the moment I just cannot draw myself to begin anything. :(

PlasticSquirrel

a moment of pondering

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Happens all the time, my masterwork (dumb comedy sci-fi novel) has been on hold for the last two years because of this. Though oddly enough, when I was trying to finish my last CD it got worked on quite a bit cos it wasn't what Iwas meant to be doing. Hopefully, when June starts peering around again and I'm meant to be finishing my new CD I'll get some more writing done. I often say nothing in conversations, and in fact say relatively little round here anymore, but I'm always listening, so don't think you can talk about me behind my back, okay? ;) Nothing wrong with it, it's just some people find it a little creepy when I listen so very intently to what they're saying and then merely reply with a raised eyebrow and vaguely interested "Hmmm?" Try it, it's loads of fun.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

QueenPippin

a moment of pondering

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Val, I think I know what you're talking about with feeling like you're stuck and so forth. My problem is that I write a chapter and then realise I can't go anywhere else, or that I don't really have much of plot or anything for that matter, just one fab chapter. :(

Also, with what you said...
Some days though, I only feel like reading what others have written and so make very few posts
I always find these really great topics and I really want to say something, but by the time I'll get through the pages upon pages of threadwork, I'll find that the people are so far off topic that I can't really say anything anymore, and then I weep silently in a corner :duck:

Elfstone

a moment of pondering

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Okay, I’ll throw in my two cents worth here also. I’m not a writer, but I’m a musician, and a songwriter. I’ve been writing songs for about 17 years, and I have always found that I seem to go through spurts. Sometimes I’ll go through periods where I’m extremely productive, and things just seem to be flowing out of me effortlessly, and sometimes I go through periods where I just don’t write anything at all. I’ve got tons of friends who are also musicians, and artists, and we have all sat around and discussed this sort of thing from time to time. As others have already stated here, if you are a creative person, you will inevitably suffer from this on occasion no matter what your artistic medium. My advice to you Queen Pippin is to keep at it, stay patient, try not to get frustrated, and don’t try to force something that’s not there. You will always do your best work when you are truly inspired!
:elfwink:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

valedhelgwath

a moment of pondering

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I always find these really great topics and I really want to say something, but by the time I'll get through the pages upon pages of threadwork, I'll find that the people are so far off topic that I can't really say anything anymore.
If a thread has gone off topic, QueenPippin, and you wish to reply to an earlier post, use the Quote function. Copy the bit of the post that you are replying to, slip it between the brackets of the quote BBCode, and then make your reply. This way, readers will know what you are talking about (if the quote was from a long way back in the thread, it would also help to mention who posted it and when)

If you have something relevant to say, don't worry about pulling a thread back on topic.

Return to “The Green Dragon”