LOTR Prequel

virumor

LOTR Prequel

Post#1 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:45 pm

Heh, suddenly my nightmare of a movie with Kevin Sorbo as Beren and Lucy Lawless as Lúthien rings truer...
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Túrin Turambar

LOTR Prequel

Post#2 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:33 pm

I believe The Hobbit is a simple enough plot they can basically take the exact story to screen play and it'd be almost impossible to mess it up, but i don't wanna jinx anything so i won't say anymore on that matter.

I couldn't possibly seeing them make a 2 hour cinema based on the time period between The Hobbit and LOTR.

A LOTR prequel sounds very sketchy to me... First I have no clue exactly what Ages and events (I'm presuming the 2nd Age would have much influence on the film) they would include in this prequel and even the key point events which they should include, will only cause the story to be very complex for your average film viewer and average LOTR movie fan. I say movie fan because basically all of us here and especially the more 'hardcore' Tolkien fans whom love the books will have no problem following the plot.

However, we need to be honest and admit that there are much more average Tolkien fans who have only seen the movies or barely glanced at The Hobbit and/or LOTR and will find this prequel very confusing... That's even with Peter Jackson directing it, which it sounds like that won't be the case.

I'm thinking unless you've already read The Silmarillion you're going to be lost for this prequel.

Túrin Turambar

LOTR Prequel

Post#3 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:33 pm

Virumor
Heh, suddenly my nightmare of a movie with Kevin Sorbo as Beren and Lucy Lawless as Lúthien rings truer...

GAhh!! We're doomed!

Grep

LOTR Prequel

Post#4 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:04 pm

If there is a prequel what do you think the best bits to cover would be?

I think my nightmare would be a quentin tarrantino LOTR movie!

sorongil sulandune

LOTR Prequel

Post#5 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:07 pm

from the things I have read about the famous prequel I have come to a conclusion that the movie should be exactly what Grep has sad that it will not be .....by that I mean it should be the movie that covers the period from the end of The Hobbit to the beggining of the LOTR .... ona our Croatuian forum I have even come to a imaginarx nemae for that kind of a movie ......."The Adventures Of a Lone Ranger Called Stider." :lol:

Túrin Turambar

LOTR Prequel

Post#6 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:24 pm

Sorongil sulanduneby that I mean it should be the movie that covers the period from the end of The Hobbit to the beginning of the LOTR ....

You're joking right? Like i mentioned my previous post on this topic, that's exactly what it should NOT be! Talk about boring.... What is the movie going to be based on? 120 minutes of Bilbo mumbling sweet endearments to his precious? Face the facts, if you're having a prequel to LOTR and within the period span of 70 years from The Hobbit to LOTR the ring sits in Bilbo's pocket in The Shire... sorry but that is boring.

They should start off the movie by quickly glancing at the end of the 1st Age and showing the rise of the Numenorians, the creating of the magic rings, The Last Alliance battle, when the white council discovers Sauron in Mirkwood and removes him from there. (That takes place during The Hobbit but is never actually mentioned in The Hobbit. There for it'd be a great way to tie The Hobbit and prequel together too!) They could briefly show Aragorn as a child and such. Don't ask me how they should end the movie i'm just throwing out ideas what the movie should be based on.

sorongil sulandune

LOTR Prequel

Post#7 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:33 pm

Nope I was'nt joking , kidding or anything of that sort I will try and find where I have read that ridicolous idea then I shall post a link so u can see for yourself .... and ur ideas are not bad at all ....but that would be the prequel to The Hobbit and not to the LOTR ....but if they try to do that wich u are suggesting then they should make the entire Silmarillion into a movie ((( OK now I'm joking ))......

Túrin Turambar

LOTR Prequel

Post#8 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:07 pm

ya i understand what you're saying about the movie being a prequel to the hobbit instead of LOTR. However if you take some ideas i threw out there and also (very loosely) touch bases on the hobbit, it could become a prequel for LOTR.

I just don't see the movie having much point and action if you base it on the 70 years that take place in between The hobbit and LOTR. They already loosely touched bases on that with the prologue during FOTR and also ROTK.

valedhelgwath

LOTR Prequel

Post#9 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:18 am

I think the prequel will concentrate on the events leading up to the forging of the Rings of Power... ie the second age.

Like LotR started by giving a glimpse of the War of the Last Alliance, this one may show the battle at the end of the First Age and the fall of Morgoth. It may then show the Elves of Ost-in-edhel and the Dwarves of Moria during their golden age, and the coming of Annatar. Hopefully they won't reveal that Annatar is Sauron until he places the One Ring on his finger and is revealed to the Elves.

I think it may then merge the war of 1693-1701 with the war of the Last Alliance and the defeat of Sauron. Most likely it will end with Isidur losing the ring at the Battle of Gladden Field.

The Love Theme... Maybe Elrond and Celebrian

Personally, I don't think they will venture into the First Age.

arath

LOTR Prequel

Post#10 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:26 am

A movie about the first age would be facinating.
I would love to see how they would have made the Valar......

(When is the hobbit coming out!?)

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien”