Stage 1: Locations

Huan

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Taz - nice idea which will become a mammoth task. Problem is "commitment" from the "poster". I'd like to help...but...we'll lets give it a bash. Whatever. To tackle the place names it might be an idea to follow the journeys as above - but that would end up leaving a lot of stuff out (yep in the end it would!)

However, if, with Grondmaster's help and a few good bokks, we did things like ordonnace surveyors - take the maps and go through each area, in detail. Of course then you would have to cross reference the differnet geography according to the different ages etc.

For starter though a complete geography (scientific stuff) oif Hobbit and LOTR would be a good task
Well thats my feeling
Problem is - anyone know anything about topography or geography anymore?

Snape

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ok, who wants to make a complete list then of the locations?

Boring

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thats like mega a lot of work going trough all locations alphabetically.. I've a ME-atlas and well there are a lot of pages (trough the ages) okay there are some maps concerning the same places...

Another but I want to ad is most ppl don't know what Nargothrond or menegroth is or even gondolin, because they have only read LotR maybe even read The Hobbit or only have seen the movie.
I think that they will be recognising the places and want to read up.
and you can always ad more places after you have done the journeys.
And if you are just ram trough the maps and do it alphabetically you might be ending up a till g because it was so much work ppl were tired of it and wanted a break..?
Or if you are working the maps like in order of the ages you would maybe end with the 2nd age and a lot off ppl would know what it is al about and maybe wouldn't be so interested as recognising sites they allready have read about.

But it's all fine with me, I will help and wouldn't mind beginnen with the 1st age coz the places were so interesting (utumno).

Snape

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That's a good idea Huan!

Why don't we just do it alphabetically throughout the maps?

PlasticSquirrel

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

You should tackle them in the order that they appear in the books, begin with the Void, head on through the first bits of Arda to Beleriand and end up at Mount Doom. I think.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Boring

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Or you could do the Journey which frodo & co took? like first the shire, then bree, weathertop (amon sul :) ) rivendell and so on

Snape

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I am with Boring on that, Plastic and anyone else?

PlasticSquirrel

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

yeah, that was going to be my grand finale!
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

chikakat

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

RotK has, at the back, an index of places...I think the Sil has another...that might be helpful in figuring out who does what places...

question, though: are we doing every single location, even the very obscure?

Snape

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think that settles it, let's start with the hobbit and index every location by order of each one they come across first, agreed?

Benefits: This way if we do it like this through all of J.R.R. Tolkien's books, people will be able to just lookup information as there reading them.

Return to “The 'Guide' Project”