Tolkien Fanfic contest: deadline May 24th

valedhelgwath

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

How do you go about entering something, Sepdet?

sepdet

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Now that I look more closely at it, I think that you don't. I think you have to be nominated by someone. Oog.

Could someone good at reading fine print please check the site and see if I've got that right?

valedhelgwath

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I could not find any way to send a submission myself. They do not explain how pieces of work get nominated.

I've sent them an email in the hope of finding out, and also highlighted PT to them in case they actually scour the net themselves looking for the material.

valedhelgwath

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I have received the following reply from Mithril Awards.
Dear Ron,

Thank you for the enquiry.

Nominations for the awards are public, so anyone can nominate any piece of work - whether they have written it or not. Nominations open on Thursday 24 April and there will be an online form on the site from that date. We will not be hosting nominated stories, so submissions need a valid URL.

I hope that helps and we look forward to receiving lots of nominations from Planet-Tolkien!

The Awards Committee.
http://www.viragene.com/tolkien
Anyone going for it?

valedhelgwath

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi Chathol-linn.

From what I've read on the site, there are a number of different catagories that stories are nominated into. The judges then make shortlists for each catagory containing five or six stories. Some of these, they then choose the winners from, while I think other catagories are then thrown open to the public to vote on.

I'm not certain, but I think the public will only ever see the winners or those shortlisted.

Are you entering your Legolas stories?

Chathol-linn

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi, Valedhelgwath. Thanks for the response. I would like your permission to enter your "Watcher in the Water" in the category of Best Story Focusing on Other Races. Is that okay?

The rules say we can only nominate one work per category. I'm nominating several works by other postAuthorIDs. I'm going to nominate one of my poems (From Fangorn Forest to Helm's Deep Canto the Forest). Maybe someone else will nominate my other pieces.

And I hope Watcher in the Water wins! Regards - Chathol-linn

Chathol-linn

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hello. Can the public, or the PT members, see the list of nominations? Regards - Chathol-linn

valedhelgwath

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks for the thought Chathol. To be honest, though, I entered my Balin's Folly story into that same catagory myself. I couldn't decide whether to use it, the Watcher in the Water or Grud. Maybe I went for the wrong one.

I haven't heard of these awards before, but if they span the whole net, I think there will be some stiff competition. Best of luck... I hope your work does well. It would be nice if someone from PT could win something in it...

You up for the humour section Plastic?

Chathol-linn

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hey, V. The postAuthorID should know which is best. I respect that.

The rules do not say one postAuthorID can have one entry per category. They only say that each nominator can only nominate one work per category. I think "Watcher" is a good piece of writing but will abide by your wishes!

Regards - Chathol-linn

valedhelgwath

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It's both actually Chathol... Rule 7 stops you nominating more than once into each catagory, while rule 11 prevents an postAuthorID having more than one story nominated in each.

Do you have any new stories? I hoped you had sent me one today, but I was unable to open the attachment.

Return to “Writers Guild”