Humorous poem, posted separately with permission

Allyssa

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Great poem, Chathol! I can just imagine them singing it in The Prancing Pony on a festive evening.
"May the Angels Guide"

Airecristiel

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Omg! I bow before thee, Chathol-linn!

Without doubt one of the best poems I've ever read! I am impressed! I'd love to hear it to music, and ever more: I'd LOVE to sing it myself, this is the type of song that I could sing over and over again! Woaw!

Have you got tunes to this or is it supposed to be a poem? It is just.. fantastic!

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
/Oscar Wilde

Celebrian

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That is a really good poem Chathol-linn, you have a gift of writing. I can see where you got the inspiration, but I'm curious how you manage to compose them so well. How do you start?

Chathol-linn

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks for your kind words! I can’t compose music, so there is no song unless someone else makes one. I’d love it if you did.

A picture comes into my head and a story suggests itself. I can tell if it’s a poem or prose by the subject matter, length, and type of emotion. For poems, I select the rhyme scheme. I write the first verses establishing the setting. Then I tell the story. The metaphors, internal structures, etc., are from a data base built mostly from lots of reading. Example: “an arrow black as Sauron’s crack” was inspired unconsciously by a line from a book that Stephen King recommended. I didn’t notice that until later. E-mail me off-line and I’ll tell you what it was.

Well, that’s probably more than you wanted to know. Thanks so much for your comments! Best regards - Chathol-linn

Peredhil

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well done Chathol, that poem is brilliant. :D
A mind full of fire and a fistful of steel.

Andrea

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It was Chathol! I loved it, and as Allyssa said, I too could just picture this happening. That's really neat! :D
Reach high, for the stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream preceeds that goal.

Airecristiel

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hum. acctually, a melody got stuck in my head as I was reading this. If I am allowed I would much like to put music to this song. I am not a that gifted musician, but I can play the piano somewhat and I can atleast write down the notes and the rythm.
It would be really cool if I got to do this, I can already hear the music, the drums that goes: "taram tam tam, taram tam tam, taram tam tam tam tam". The comp by a single flute and then the choir of men singing it.
Ah, maybe it's not that good, I don't know. It's your opinion that matters, since it's your poem, but I'd sure like to try!
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."

/Oscar Wilde

Chathol-linn

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi, Airecristiel. I'd be delighted for you to set Song-Fight to music. Your ideas sound fine to me. No one has ever asked that before, so I'm looking forward to hearing it. Best regards from a non-musician - Chathol-linn

grondmaster

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:alchaholic: Yes, Well done Chathol-linn. It's a great drinking song.
(I'm glad we finally got it posted with all its warts intact.) :alchaholic:
'Share and enjoy'

Chathol-linn

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hello, Grondy It's the nature of drinking songs to be rowdy (or so I hear), so many thanks to you and the Council for letting me post it as-is. Much obliged! - Chathol-linn

Return to “Writers Guild”