Who do you feel influenced you the most?

PlasticSquirrel

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Personally, I started writing cos of Stephen King. Though I soon discovered that it was really dull writing like that, and gave up until I discovered Robert Rankin and found out that you can be as stupid and funny as you like, and still keep a good plot going. Then I got a Pratchett book and my own fate was set.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Snape

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I always wanted to write until one miserable day when I read a series of the most badly written books ever to have graced a book shelf, yes I am ashamed to admit it but I read one of.... Pratchett's book!!! :verysad:

PlasticSquirrel

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Oh very good Taz. :P: I can't see why you don't like them, or have you had a sense of humour bypass operation?
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Eryan

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

"My" writers (just a few...)
(1) English - writing
J. R. R. Tolkien
Arthur Conan-Doyle
William Morris
Bram Stoker
Mary Shelley
Charles Dickens
Patricia D. James (an postAuthorID of stories about a poet-detective Dalglielsh)
Lucy Maud Montogomery
Ursula Le Guin (but not all)

(2) Other
Andrzej Sapkowski (a Polish contemporary fantasy writer, his stories and novels are deeply romantic, dark, cruel and extremely funny - all at once!)
Maria Rodziewiczowna (a Polish lady writer; her book "The summer of wood people" is a delight!)
Mikhail Bulgakov
Fiodor Dostoievsky
Le Clezio
Astrid Lindgren
anonymous postAuthorIDs of Icelandiic sagas

TomBombadillo

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't know if a writer influenced my writing (it's just crap anyway :P) but if any did, I think it must have been Tolkien. He got me into the fantasy world, and I started writing more about surreal stuff.
Denial is not a river in Africa.

valedhelgwath

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't think anyone will ever knock Tolkien from his pedistal but Katharine Kerr's Deverry series comes close. Raymond E Feist's Magician does a lot for me too.

Chathol-linn

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi, readers. The postAuthorIDs who influenced me had these traits in common: wild imaginations and a northern-England pagan/celltic streak. So - Shakespeare (AMidsummer Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet), Stephen King, esp. the Dark Tower Series, Marion Zimmer Bradley's The MIsts of Avalon (a life-changing event for me), Rovert Jordan's The Wheel of Time books, and in the place of honor, JRR Tolkien's works. He captured me when I was 16. - Chathol-linn- Plus Robin Hood, the King Arthur legneds,

PS What does your name mean, Chicka?

Ar-Edain

Post#8 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:55 pm

Tolkien has got to be my main influencel. My second influence isnt an author. Its my own stubborn nature.HA!

lord aelric

Post#9 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:20 am

John Steinbeck
Aldous Huxley
Douglas Adams
Tolstoy
HP Lovecraft
Edgar Allen Poe
Voltaire
Michael Moorcock(i was young)
Kahlil Gibran
The Mabinogion(anonymous Welsh Bards)
Homer (not Simpson!?!)

Tolkien, m'spose... although it maybe heresy to suggest that i dont rate his writing as highly as some of the above, he is master in his Genre, however.
:lightening:

asteroth

Post#10 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:43 am

Homer (not Simpson!?!)

:funnylaugh:

I just finished Ilyada and d@mn , the war isn't over after 400 pages. Where am i supposed to know what will be next?

Return to “Writers Guild”