Cures for Writer's Block

Cures for Writer's Block

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

If you can find a decent cure, I really need it.
I tend to use Vodka, or banging my head really hard into a wall. Though a better suggestion is to go to your local park and watch people doing peopley things, never fails to inspire.
(Though I admit, I do do it just to watch the kids falling over and crying :wink:) for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Cures for Writer's Block

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

For me the best thing is to do what I am supposed to do to earn my salary.
I like to feel that writing is my pleasure and not my duty and above all not the grim matter of money!
I could never be a professional writer - I would have a block all the time!

Cures for Writer's Block

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I just easy off, let things be the things for a week and start from scrap again. Just forget about the block, don't write for a week, and start again. Read a lot in the meantime, to fill up your empty moments. It works fine with me.
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Cures for Writer's Block

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Finding yourself miles away from anything to write on usually works for me.
Also, just after you've got really warm and comfortable in bed... you know the moment when you're drifting between being awake and asleep (and the last thing you want to do is get up and scribble down your thoughts)

I used to base all of my writing on roleplaying games I had played. I was never short of ideas, just how to best word them.

Cures for Writer's Block

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I have found the best cures for writers block are

A: reading a great book - this implies that the book being read is one you have read before (or how can you tell it's a great book). I can re-read books faster than first reads so it's not more time consuming.

B: Long drives without the radio on. This forces me to think... and I'm always thinking about plots.

Cures for Writer's Block

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I find school is a great cure for writer's block...I've had some fabulous ideas while ignoring my calculus teacher...;)

B: Long drives without the radio on. This forces me to think... and I'm always thinking about plots.

hehe...I definitely get lost if I think too hard while I'm driving...:P:

Cures for Writer's Block

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Just clear your mind and don't think about anything. It really helps when you're thinking too hard about a storyline, or plot, or whatever. I hope this helps someone :D

Cures for Writer's Block

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I agree with Plastic. I've often found myself hitting my head against a wall trying to get rid of writter's block. Nasty little bugger, that one. Well, my advice is as my father said: "Wait it out. Don't think about it. It'll come to you when you least expect it. Or, when you're furthest away from a piece of paper to write the idea on." Well, I hope that helps! It's saved me from going stark-raving mad....ooops! I mean it's saved me from gettin worse. I'm already Stark-raving mad...hee hee.

Cures for Writer's Block

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I, too, often have writer's block and sometimes the best thing is to back off. I try working on my artwork (like painting and drawing; they offer good ideas), but when I get artist block, I go back to writting! You could try looking around your surroundings for inspiration.

Cures for Writer's Block

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi! Aki Hana, welcome to our forum and the Writers Guild. :happyelf:

Your advice to backoff and let a different muse come to you makes sense, especially if you are multi-talented.

'Share and enjoy'

Return to “Writers Guild”