Symptoms of Being a Writer

Ungoliant

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think that is only because he got tired of the underclassmen snickering at his mis-matched pairs. To solve that problem, he merely eliminated the common denominator; thus, arriving at the simplest solution

I never understood the purpose of matching socks. Freaky rule, if you ask me - try finding a matching pair in your sock drawer on a cold winter morning when you're late for class/work.

My rule is: if it's hot outside, don't wear 'em, and use sandals instead. If it's cold, then who cares if they are mismatched?

Allyssa

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yay! I like your philosophy Ungoliant! :D I propose odd socks as the unnofficial uniform of the Writer's Guild :D

And that we call ourselves the "Children of Tolkien" (kinda like mariners being called the Sons of Earendil).

I do so detest being called a "Tolkie" or worse yet - a "Ringer"! :shakehead:

:hahaha: :D

nn[Edited on 25/5/2002 by Allyssa]
"May the Angels Guide"

valedhelgwath

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Wow Allyssa. Apart from the bit about cats and wrist watches, that list about sums me up. I cannot sit still for more than a few minutes without having something to read, and the bit about pens and stationary. I once had a friend describe my room as a fire hazard because there was so much of it lying around. My jokes are never funny.
I thought the paper fetish was just me... Thanks, you've just cheered me up no end.
Wow, I'm no longer strange... Baggins's, I hates them. They steal my paper. Wow, I'm normal.

Whenever I come across a particularly long word somewhere, I feel an unnatural urge to count how many letters it contains. Is this another symptom, or still me just being strange?

Allyssa

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

More symptoms of being a writer:

11) Fascination with the number of letters in very long and interesting words.

12) You carry around a little note book and scribble down notes everywhere you go. Even in public places, like shopping centres.

13) Your house is habitually unpostThreadIDy, since you are too busy with all of the above to clean up. :)

Anyone with any of the above 13 symptoms should join the Writer's Guild immediately! Which is to say, come on in and make youreslf at home.:read:nn[Edited on 18/5/2002 by Allyssa]
"May the Angels Guide"

PlasticSquirrel

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Okay, a lot of these don't apply to me at all. I like taking my PC apart and fidling about with it, I can never ever find a pen when I need one, so no collection of them at all. I have a dog (who I claim I'm talking to when I am accused of talking to nobody.) and hate cats. Stationary gets on my nerves, and I have as little of it as possible. But other than that, oh, and the fact that I freak out completely when I don't wear a watch, then yeah, not far off.
I thought it was just me who kept a notebook everywhere, and unnerves his friends by writing down notes in the middle of a pub crawl. Maybe this is why I never get any writing done?
I think you may find that never paying any attention to anything anyone else says to you ever is another symptom, as well as grinning to yourself and laughing out loud in public for no apparent reason.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Eryan

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

How very funny!
MY symptopms ar 1. 1a. 2. 3. 4. 7. 8, 9, 10, 12, 13,
I do not have 5, 6, 11. I am simply mad without a watch!!!
Additional symptoms:
14. Keeping papers unpostThreadIDy, but getting furious when unable to find something, even if it is not really important.
15. Drawing faces of my heroes & maps of my imaginary world during professional meetings and congresses
16. Keeping a lot of my belongings in neat cartoon boxes with clear and precise labels (once my friends almost died of laughter when they saw a small box with a label "Less freqeuntly worn pants")
17. Preferring a shabby flat with a beautiful view friom the window to a nice flat with an ugly window view.
18. Contacts with friends via Internet exchanges and/or phone talks provide almost as much pleasure as "real life" meetings.

Allyssa

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:hahaha: Yes, I definately suffer from 14. I have finally organised my novel into one folder, with the hand drawn map pinned to the notice board so that I will not loose it. Can you imagine loosing the one and only map to your world? Davastating, since I can never quite reproduce it exactly and am quite pleased with the latest version. Loosing it would make me scream and cry hysterically.
:disturbed

I am not obliged to attend meetings, but do classes count? I have been known to be doing almost anything other than editing in my editing class. :) Including doodling, and homework for other subjects. Almost have 15 then.

16. I keep a lot of my childrens toys sorted with plastic boxes, but my wardrobe is a complete mess.

17 My house almost has a view. It is on top of a hill, but all I can see are more houses and rooves. It is quite a pretty cottage, seriously overgardened (more than 30 roses), but is quite small. So it almost falls into the shabby but pretty catagory.

18. Am totally adicted to the internet. :disturbed:

Good ones Eryan!

19) Grinning foolishly to yourself for no apparent reason, and even suddenly laughing out loud.

Definately a symptom! I notice a lot of my writer friends do it and I occasionally do it myself. I have tried to curb this habbit since I giggled when a friend told a group of us that her husband had severe emphysima (not sure about spelling). Serious social blunder!nn[Edited on 20/5/2002 by Allyssa]
"May the Angels Guide"

Eryan

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes! I have Number 19, too!!!

Allyssa

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Almost scary isn't it? That there could be so many of us who have these little eccentricities? :)
"May the Angels Guide"

PlasticSquirrel

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Man, I live in a scabby damp-ridden flat that has a fantastic view! And keeps me away from civilisation as well, woohoo!
But I've never organised anything into boxes, in fact I've never organised anything in my life, which is why I can never find anything and getting a computer saved my writing career as it's a lot harder to lose than a pile of scabby, coffee-stained, fag burned papers.
Less Frequently worn Pants? ROFLMFAO!!
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Return to “Writers Guild”