Messages from Celeborn in Aman

Amarië

Post#1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:20 am

Here are the writings of Celeborn, first posted in the thread Celeborn Appreciation Society.

Celeborn, feel free to re-post your writings in this thread, that way you can edit your text as you please. I will just remove the quotes from this post if you do. :happyelf:

The original posts that were edited 8th november, have also been updated here.. 

Thank you, my friends, for caring. Galadriel and I are happier than ever in Aman, reunited with our family and friends. The unpleasant events in Middle Earth put a strain on our relationship, we're just fine now. I have become fast friends with Manwe, he gives me stories of the Ainur I can't find anywhere else. And I recently met an Old Being near the Halls of Mandos who gave me philosophical Food For Thought. Been doing some gardening recently, the Entwives are helping out. Galadriel's been on me to write my memoirs, I'm trying to get in the mood. All the Ents are here, all the Dwarves, even all the Hobbits are here now, in a special place in Aman that doesn't tax their health. Of course, almost all of the Elves are here now, except for some Avari who opted to become Finns. I hear they have a good healthcare system in Finland. I think Tolkien and the Movie both gave me short-shrift, but I'm used to that. The little dust-up with Gimli was greatly exaggerated, we were fast friends before he finally went to the Halls of Mandos. I am so pleased and happy there's an appreciation society for me. About bloody time, I say! Oh well, that's it for now. Aman is pure bliss, what can I say? Galadriel says hi! The internet is all the rage in Aman now, I'll be communicating again soon. Cheers. Sent by Celeborn from Valmar on 31 Narquelie, Eighth Age 2006. The blessings of Eru upon you.Thank you, my friends, for caring. Galadriel and I are happier than ever in Aman, reunited with our family and friends. The unpleasant events in Middle Earth put a strain on our relationship, we're just fine now. I have become fast friends with Manwe, he gives me stories of the Ainur I can't find anywhere else. And I recently met an Old Being near the Halls of Mandos who gave me philosophical Food For Thought. Been doing some gardening recently, the Entwives are helping out. Galadriel's been on me to write my memoirs, I'm trying to get in the mood. All the Ents are here, all the Dwarves, even all the Hobbits are here now, in a special place in Aman that doesn't tax their health. Of course, almost all of the Elves are here now, except for some Avari who opted to become Finns. I hear they have a good healthcare system in Finland. I think Tolkien and the Movie both gave me short-shrift, but I'm used to that. The little dust-up with Gimli was greatly exaggerated, we were fast friends before he finally went to the Halls of Mandos. I am so pleased and happy there's an appreciation society for me. About bloody time, I say! Oh well, that's it for now. Aman is pure bliss, what can I say? Galadriel says hi! The internet is all the rage in Aman now, I'll be communicating again soon. Cheers. Sent by Celeborn from Valmar on 31 Narquelie, Eighth Age 2006. The blessings of Eru upon you.

Both of my lineages mentioned by Tolkien are correct, he just got confused. It is my father's lineage and my mother's lineage. Of course they're different, I should hope so!

Well, I went back and checked on what is recorded about my family in the Writings of Men, and it is very badly muddled. So now I will set the record straight. First off the bat, Elmo was Elwe and Olwe's cousin, not their brother; he was also Elwe's best friend. He was Cirdan's younger brother. Elmo married Gilwen, the daughter of Ina, the son of Tata, an Original Elf.  Finwe and Elwe and Olwe were NOT Original Elves, their grandfathers were. Finwe was the son of Ingold, the son of Tata, an Original Elf. Elwe and Olwe were the sons of Nelwe, the son of Kyalpa, an Original Elf. Elmo and Cirdan were the sons of Nelmo, the son of Kyalpa. In 1075 AT (Age of the Trees), Mina, Vanwe, Tata, Ingold, Kyalpa, Nelwe and Nelmo went to treat with Melkor. Of course they never came back. We fear that we had many Orc relatives at one time. My mother, rest her fea, was Telperien, daughter of  Oropher, son of Lenwe, son of Kyalpa, an Original Elf; she was Thranduil's sister. Galadhon, the son of Elmo, was my father. My father met my mother in Ossiriand and fell in love. Galadhon and Telperien accompanied Cirdan to Eressea on a visit and decided to stay. Later they moved to Alqualonde, and I grew up in that fair city. There I also met Galadriel when she came on a visit, and we were married in that same place. Shortly after the Kinstrife, my parents, Galadriel and I all emigrated to Doriath, where we lived in peace for many years. Tragically, my parents were killed in the storming of Doriath by Morgoth's forces. We then lived at Lake Nenuial in Eriador. After helping Gil-Galad set up his kingdom in Lindon, Galadriel and I moved to Eregion. After that, we relocated to Lothlorien. And the rest, as they say, is History! Tolkien meant well, but he was much better with Mannish genealogies than he was with Elvish ones. I hope this has cleared up some of the confusion.

The War to Save the Elves took place specifically because the Valar learned that Melkor was using the Avari as genetic material to create the Orcs. The first Orcs were conceived in vitro and brought to term in the wombs of their biological mothers, Talking Apes of the Dark Lands. The most important Elves captured by Melkor were Mina, Tata, Kyalpa, and their sons. Kyalpa was my ancestor. The Valar learned that it was Melkor's intent to use all of the Elves for this purpose. This was deemed a great and vile blasphemy, and led to Melkor's capture and imprisonment by the Valar. In the previous note, I forgot to mention my beloved daughter Celebrian, who lives next door to me now. She married Elrond, and her children were Elladan, Elrohir, and Arwen. Elladan and Elrohir are here; Arwen became mortal when she married Aragorn and has passed away. This was very painful to our entire family, but I guess it was necessary. After the Last Change, the Children of Eldarion mixed with the Children of Adam to produce the Proto Indo-Europeans, among others. As I recollect, Galadriel did not go to Lindon, she moved to Lothlorien when Celebrimbor took over in Eregion. It was I who took two of the Three Rings to Gil-Galad in Lindon. I returned with Elrond to fight Sauron at the Fords of the Glanduin. The First Council was held at Imladris after Sauron's defeat; Elrond received a Ring. 

My father Galadhon, rest his fea, always stubbornly maintained that Elwe and Olwe were Original Elves. I did not learn the truth until I talked to Manwe in Aman. He explained that the early Elves were furious with their forebears for being stupid enough to trust Melkor, and struck their names off their records entirely. They also did not want to acknowledge that they were in any way related to certain high-placed Orcs, albeit distantly. My father and mother were second cousins, and eyebrows were raised when they were married; but this was not forbidden, although rare. I suppose my father became embarrassed, and sought to cover it up in his later years.

I did not begin as a particularly influential or high-placed Elf. Just the son of Cirdan's nephew, that's all, and the first cousin twice removed of Elwe. Galadriel loves me for my Mind!

My parents were not killed by Orcs, though they might well have been. During the Invasion of Doriath, a Dragon crashed into a row of houses. My parents were struck by flying masonry and killed; I saw it happen. My grandfather Elmo, on the other hand, was killed by Orcs. My father was raised by his uncle Cirdan.

Cirdan recently told me that the worst thing about fighting Orcs in the earliest days was that you would quite frequently see ones who looked related to you. They were no less ugly and vicious than the other Orcs, and showed no signs of recognition, but Cirdan said he had to steel himself to kill them. After Melkor's capture, Sauron carried on his work in Angband. He continued to use captured Elves for breeding for a while, but the Orcs proliferated fearsomely. Sauron lost interest in Elves, and became a fanatic of crossing Dwarves with Orcs. He mainly used Elves as food after that. Sauron single-handedly drove many of the Dwarf Kindreds into practical extinction with his ardent passion for breeding Dwarves and Orcs. Cirdan says that no one can have any idea how terrible those days were. He looks young now, but he was prematurely aged in Middle Earth.

I also had a brother, Galathil, who was killed in the Beleriand Wars. He was the father of Nimloth, who was the mother of Elwing. Legolas is my first cousin on my mother's side.

I did not care at all that I never got one of the Three Rings, by the way. I am a Telerin Elf, and that was Noldor nonsense! I never liked those Three Rings, though they were supposed to be good. That perfect fool Celebrimbor used lore obtained from Sauron to make them, so how good could they be? Celebrimbor was a brilliant craftsman, the best since Feanor, but he was a naive idiot about most things else. He had a distressing crush on my wife. He fawned all over "Annatar" when he was there; my wife was smart enough to suspect he was Sauron from the word get-go. "No, no, Sauron is dead!" said Annnatar. Yeah, right! I was all for throwing those things away, but my wife said no. Instead I had to hike across Eriador and give them to Gil-Galad. I was very uncomfortable having them in my pouch, I gave them to Gil-Galad with great relief. I told him to throw them into the Sea, he said no. Eriador was full of thorns in those days. When I passed through what later became the Shire, I was pricked unmercifully when I tried to gather blackberries. Why should I like Celebrimbor? He defeated me in the King Elections, but I didn't care at that point. Things were going to Utumno anyways. He ended up being carried around on a stick by Orcs.

I am part Noldorin, by the way; I suppose that's why I have always been able to talk to Those People!  The mother of my father was a Noldo; she was Gilwen, daughter of Ina, son of Tata, an Original Elf.  Galadriel is my second cousin, by the way; Gilwen and Finwe were first cousins.  But Galadriel and I didn't care, and no one else does these days either.  My parents were also second cousins from different Teleri branches, they did catch a bit of Utumno over it.  My father tried to cover it up in Doriath, though no one cared but him.  I was fed misinformation when I was young.  But no one said a word when Galadriel and I were married; my dad looked a bit green, that's all.  Just look at the English Royal Family, second cousin marriages are almost the norm!  So what's the big deal?

The silliest story of all, and I don't know how this one got started, is that Amroth was my son. He was my mother's first cousin, he was older than me! He often told me that I was like a son to him. Now knock it off about my family, folks! So annoying!

Here's some interesting history that I deem you're unaware of.  Remember those two missing Blue Wizards, Alatar and Pallando?  Well, they showed up in Fourth Age 3333 and occupied Gorgoroth (the big copy-cats!).  They began to cause serious trouble for Gondor; they had to use Talking Apes for their Army, because the Orcs wouldn't play any more.  Olorin himself had to come back to Middle Earth to save the day. He broke the staffs of Alatar and Pallando, and placed them under arrest.  When King Berak of Gondor asked him what would happen if Gilthrang showed up, Olorin gave him a dark look and said: "In that case, Eru Himself will come. You better hope that doesn't happen! I'm not coming back for a while." Then Top Elder Entwistle of the Knowers asked him if he was the Son of Iluvatar. Olorin said "Uh, no, no! Of course not! What an idea!" and hurried off. But some think he was just protecting his Secret Identity

"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

...telerin-l0ver...

Post#2 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:38 am

wow lol.....:D I like his idea on Celeborn's lineage. Up till now I have never thought of accepting both.

celeborn

Post#3 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:34 pm

CELEBORN AND GALADRIEL TIMELINE PART THREE:  Second Age 1703-Third Age 109: Celeborn and Galadriel dwell in Edhellond.  Second Age 2250: Ringwraiths first appear.  2280: Umbar built.  2350: Pelargir built.  3255: Ar-Pharazon usurps the Crown of Numenor.  3262: Sauron taken as prisoner to Numenor.  3319: Numenor destroyed.  3320: Arnor and Gondor founded; Sauron returns to Mordor.  3429: Sauron takes Minas Ithil.  3434: Battle of Dagorlad.  3434-3441: The Siege of Barad-dur.  3441: Sauron passes away temporarily; Isuldur takes the One Ring.  Third Age 2: The Battle of Gladden Fields: Isuldur is killed and the One Ring is lost.  109: Elrond marries Celebrian.  109-1981: Celeborn and Galadriel dwell in Rivendell (Imladris).  1981: Amroth drowns. Celeborn and Galadriel begin to rule in Lothlorien.

celeborn

Post#4 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:53 pm

ANCIENT DAYS PART TWO:  The slave-ship sailed south for many days.  Off the mouth of the Brandywine, it was fired upon and boarded by Dunlending pirates.  In an instant the slavers had become slaves, and were chained up with the rest in the hold of the pirate ship.  "Where are you taking us?" cried Jehan to the pirate who chained him.  But the pirate just laughed and walked away.  Then began a voyage that seemed to have no end.  Jehan's four friends died and were thrown overboard.  Jehan sickened, but did not die.  After a long hellish time, the pirate ship hove to at the labyrinthine docks of Umbar in the far south.  There Jehan was delivered into the hands of a slave merchant.  "What is your name?" the bald black man asked him.  "I can't remember," said Jehan in a daze.  The pirate master glanced at the Lossoth ship's manifest and said "His name is Himling."  But the pirate read wrong, for the Forocheli slaver had merely noted the place of capture.  So it befell that Jehan went by this name in the south, for he had no desire to tell the strangers of his real origins.  Burly stevedores now muscled him to a small cell in a warehouse, and he was given mouldy bread and water for his supper.  He fell into a dark, dreamless sleep.  The next day, he was put on the auction block in the main bazaar of Umbar City.

celeborn

Post#5 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:55 pm

A TALE OF ANCIENT DAYS:  In the Fourth Age of Arda, there lived a fisherman who bore the name of Jehan Ramonion.  He lived in the fishing village of Lighthouse, on the shores of Minhiriath.  He was descended from a younger son of Top Elder Eremon, who had had many wives.  All in his family were fishermen, and had been for Ages.  One cloudy day, Jehan and four friends went sailing up to the North Banks, where the codfishing was good.  They had caught a goodly amount of fish, when a sudden storm sprang up.  Their ship struck a rock, and the fishermen found themselves stranded on the lonely isle of Himling.  When the weather cleared up they built a fire, hoping the smoke would attract rescuers.  It wasn't too long before a large brig hove to, and a boat came ashore.  But the fishermen's joy turned to horror when they realized they had been picked up by a Lossoth slave-ship.  They were brought in front of the captain, who inspected their teeth.  "You are going to be sold in Enedwaith," he announced in atrocious Westron.  When he came up to Jehan, he saw the godkin hanging from the leather thong on his neck.  He snatched it off rudely.  "A Knower!" he sneered.  "Well, you'll not be spreading that nonsense amongst my cargo!  You'll be beaten if you try!"  Then the fishermen were chained below-decks with the other slaves, of whom there were many.

celeborn

Post#6 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:12 pm

ANCIENT DAYS PART THREE:  He was bought by a wealthy planter of Near Harad and taken to his vast estates outside the city of Sham.  "Work hard!" shouted Bub Yusud. "Or I shall sell you to the Variags, and they will turn you inside out!"  Himling toiled with energy in the sorghum fields, but got no pay.  Every fifth day he rested, for the Faith of the Living Stone decreed so.  On one of these rest days he met a slave-woman named Sheena, who had been a princess in Minas Timbuc in the Heats of the South.  He took her to wife, and she bore him a daughter named Zali.  While they worked in the fields, Himling told Zali about his life in Minhiriath.  He taught her about the Knowers and about the Wide World.  But one day a strange fly bit Himling; he fell asleep and never woke up again.  Sheena and Zali were sold to a rich man in the city of Sham; Zali was twenty years of age at this time.  They worked in the man's household.  On a certain day, the rich man tried to take liberties with Zali; she picked up a vase and knocked him unconscious.  The next day, she was loaded onto an oxcart and taken to the market of Umbar.  Zali hoped that she would be sold to a kind new master, but fate took a strange twist.  As luck would have it, Orc Ambassadors from Orcadia were in the market that day, looking for slaves to present as a gift to the King of Gondor.

celeborn

Post#7 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:31 pm

ANCIENT DAYS PART FOUR:  The rich man's overseer cruelly sold her to the Orcs, thinking she would surely be eaten; and so Zali thought as well.  "Will you eat me?" she demanded of the leering, sallow Orc manhandling her to the black-sailed ship.  "Nay!" laughed the Orc. "You are to be a gift for Gonda royalty.  Perhaps they will eat you!"  The foul-smelling Orc ship sailed for a number of days.  Zali said little to the other forty-nine slaves huddled in the grisly hold.  Then one day, they docked at Pelargir.  King Arbiter of Gondor recoiled in horror when he saw what the Orcs had brought him.  "Slavery has been outlawed in Gondor since the days of Elessar and before!" he said sternly.  "These slaves are free.  We will not treat with thee; thy embassy is rejected. Now get thee hence!"  The Orcs departed in great anger, screaming imprecations and threats of war; but they lived on the other side of the world, so Arbiter feared not much.  With him that day as a guest was Agaric the Impulsive, King of Eriador and a recent widower.  He marked Zali  amongst the cheering ex-slaves and approached her.  "I am King Agaric of Eriador," he told her. "What is thy name?"  "I am Zali of Near Harad," she replied, curtseying nicely.  "Pleased to meet you." 

celeborn

Post#8 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:07 pm

ANCIENT DAYS PART SIX:  Zali took her mother Sheena out from that place, and they lived a life of great serenity and bliss in the palace at Umbar.  Himling was reinterred under a splendid marble monument.  When Bottle became a man, King Jebus conferred upon him the Lordship of Provincetown.  Bottle had twelve sons, the eldest of whom was Bob, the general of great fame.  And descended from Bob in future generations was that Balthazzar Butterbur who sailed north in a great fleet and wrested the throne of Eriador from Abel of Andrast, in days of yore.  And from that seed also came Berak, who was King of Gondor in the Latter Days.  Here now is the Lesson of the Tale: The cold winds may blow an acorn hither and thither, but at length it will grow into a mighty oak.

celeborn

Post#9 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Here is a Chronicle of the Doings of Galadriel and myself in Middle Earth for the Curious:  Year of the Sun 506: Sons of Feanor sack Menegroth.  507: Celeborn and Galadriel take Elwing to the Mouths of the Sirion, then return. Galadhon becomes the Last King of Doriath.  512: The forces of Morgoth occupy Doriath and enter the Menegroth area. Galadhon shoots a Dragon with a crossbow; but the Dragon collapses on the building containing Galadhon and Telperien, killing them both. Celeborn and Galadriel flee to Lake Nenuial in Eriador.  545: The Host of the Valar arrives in Beleriand; Morgoth withdraws his forces from Doriath to Dor-Daedeloth.  545-587: The War of Wrath; during this time period, Beleriand is completely destroyed and sinks under the Sea.  545-548: All Elves in Beleriand join Celeborn and Galadriel at Nenuial.  550: All Atani move to Nenuial.  587: Morgoth captured by the Valar.  590: Morgoth cast into the Void.  Second Age 1: The deaths of Maedhros and Maglor. The Elves move into Lindon; Gil-Galad becomes King of that place.  2: Sauron meets Eonwe at Grey Havens; when asked to surrender, he escapes.  3: The last of the Valar Host departs; Sauron in the northernmost reaches of the Blue Mountains.  4: Sauron goes to Forodwaith until SA 500.  5: Celeborn and Galadriel return to Nenuial.  32: Atani leave Lindon and go to Numenor.  40: Many Dwarves leave the Blue Mountains and go to Moria.  375: Celebrian born at Nenuial.  442: Elros dies in Numenor.  500: Sauron awakens; after a visit to Gundabad, he goes to Amon Lanc (later known as Dol Guldur).  600: Veantur of Numenor visits the coasts of Middle Earth.

celeborn

Post#10 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:27 am

ANCIENT DAYS PART FIVE:  Agaric fell to his knee and said "Marry me and I will shower you with gold and precious jewels!"  Zali thought for a moment, and answered "Eh, why not!"  They were married that day in Pelargir, and Agaric forthwith conveyed her to his palace in Bree-Town, amidst great pomp and splendor.  There Zali met Asphodel, Agaric's daughter from his previous marriage, with whom she did not get along.  After a year had passed, Zali delivered to Agaric a son who was named Bottle; this was from the Haradi word "botul," which meant "warrior."  Things seemed idyllic; but it wasn't too long before Agaric and Zali quarreled, whereupon he impulsively divorced her.  She was given a treasure chest filled with gold and precious gems, and a pleasure yacht.  Straightaway and with joy Zali took her leave of King Agaric, taking Bottle with her.  She sailed with the south wind to the old port of Umbar.  Prince Jebus, the son of the king of that land, saw her fair ship docking.  "Who is it that comes in such glory from the Inscrutable North?" he exclaimed.  He invited Zali back to the palace, and they were married that day.  Zali went forthwith to the house of the rich man in Sham.  "Who are you?" he said.  Zali struck him on the head with a vase, and he said "Ah!"

Return to “Writers Guild”