Opening words

Glorfinel

Opening words

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks for the comments Lady and Gent. Actually the **** out words are just the harsh form of darn and they only show up at the beginning. The cool thing is the story really impressed a buddy that does TV production starring me (Yay!!!) and we just started this evening to translate it into a script. We hope to make a film short of it by mid February.

Your post is wacky, Mr. Plastic Squirrel. I liked it! May we all get published!!!
Glor... fin... el? Darn... Well, I can accept my flaw with spell check, now... But whacking orcs still makes me feel good! BAM! BAM! BAMBAMBAM!!! Yeah... Take that, Orc-face.

PlasticSquirrel

Opening words

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It was the day my grandmother exploded. I sat in the crematorium, listening to my Uncle Hamish quietly snoring in harmony to Bach's Mas in B minor, and I reflected that it always seemed to be death that drew me back to Gallanach.

Iain Banks- The Crow Road.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

valedhelgwath

Opening words

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Kurgan sat on the old wooden chest as the lantern above him swung to and fro with the motion of the boat. He glanced at his companions a moment and growled, "I say f**k the king and take the gold!"
Sorry, it's one of mine from the first thing I wrote, but one of my mates keeps reminding me of it because he loved the opening paragraph so much. The character concerned was one he had played himself in a game of AD&D, by the way, which possibly explains why the line was so memorable for him.

Eryan

Opening words

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

ROFLMAO VAl!!! :D :D :D

grondmaster

Opening words

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
'Share and enjoy'

Glorfinel

Opening words

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It was starting to end, after what seemed most of eternity to me.
I attemped to wiggle my toes, succeeded. I was sprawled there in a hospital bed and my legs were done up in plaster casts, but they were still mine.
I squeezed my eyes shut, and opened them, three times.
The room grew steady.
Where the hell was I?

Roger Zelazny, Nine Princes in Amber
High quality, highly philosophical fantasy about the nature of reality.
Glor... fin... el? Darn... Well, I can accept my flaw with spell check, now... But whacking orcs still makes me feel good! BAM! BAM! BAMBAMBAM!!! Yeah... Take that, Orc-face.

Allyssa

Opening words

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Kerridon the Mage was not what anyone would call a typical wizard. He had long despaired of ever looking the part of a mighty sorcerer. While he made every attempt at observing correct wizard etiquette and dress, by carrying the requisite gnarled wooden staff and wearing the long purple robes, he lacked the matching physical attributes in his person. Instead of long silver hair and beard, the best Kerridon could manage was short bristly gray hair and a wiry goatee. Still, at least increasing age was slowly but surely giving him the elderly venerable look, and forcing him to walk with a distinctive arthritic hobble, the latter feature meaning Kerridon was finding it more and more difficult to climb the winding stone staircase to his study.

Okay guys, what do you think of this one then? :D
"May the Angels Guide"

Glorfinel

Opening words

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well, If it's good enough for Val...
Another millennium and another one of these damned "Ring in the New Millennium with a Bang" parties. Oh, by the River Styx, how I hate these things. Hmmm, seems that this one is going to be held in the Norse Realm, Asgard. Heh, they sent the invitation inscribed in their Futhark Runes. Well, when we held it last at Mount Olympus, I am sure Hera had all of the invitations written in our ancient Greek script. At least they didn't send it on one of their huge menhirs, just parchment. Though, it would have been funny to make Sisyphus have to role the damn thing up the hill.

Party at Valhalla

Start of a short story that I wrote from the POV of Hades, Greek God of the Underworld. Contrary to popular belief, he's not such a rotter.

As far as they usually go, I had seen better days... or nights for that matter, since it actually was night when the people that I was trying to find got jumped on the haunted moors by 3 big, ugly and mean lookin' Formori... What? What is a Formori? Oh... ummm... well, they're a dark and shaggy breed of troll, about 8 to 9 feet tall. They're native to Tir Na Nog, which was recently know as Ireland before its ancient name was brought back. Formori generally like to live in the moors, which is why those of us native here generally avoid the moors, particularly the haunted ones. I don't think that these guys were all that native.

Enter Silvershade
I wrote this based off of my own RPG experiences. It takes place in the Shadowrun world. Sci-Fantasy.

valedhelgwath

Opening words

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Nice piece, Allyssa. It left me wanting to know what was in his room at the top of the long winding staircase.

grondmaster

Opening words

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

And who Kerridon was going to con into doing his leg-work on the (I assume) forth coming quest.
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “Writers Guild”