Narnia: Another Literary World

grondmaster

Post#1 » Wed May 11, 2005 6:22 pm

Tolkien's friend C.S.Lewis also imagined a world and filled it with lands and diverse beings, which he described in The Chronicles of Narnia.

The movie of the second book (in chronological order rather than order of publication) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is coming out soon (Est. 09 December 2005). Disney is making it and it is supposed to be live action rather than animated. They are trying to keep it accurate to Lewis's text so as not to meet the hostility that PJ and New Line encountered with LotR. Let us hope they can keep to the written story.

Anyway, Grep, the Council, and I thought we should have a thread(s) where we can also have discussions about the books and the forthcoming movie.

What does the membership think of the books? Have you read any of them, or all of them? Which were your favorites? Why?

I have read all of them multiple times and presently my favorites are A Horse and His Boy and The Silver Chair, the former because of how each of the characters had to suffer hardship and in doing so became better for it, the latter because of Puddleglum the Marshwiggle, who was so glum he was comic, yet he proved to be there for the children in the pinch.
'Share and enjoy'

Rhodry*of*Aberwyn

Post#2 » Wed May 11, 2005 10:17 pm

yuppers, saw some shots of the new movie a few weeks ago, looks pretty good, also saw a short trailer of HP 5, looks fantastic, but I shall say no more.

inwé

Post#3 » Thu May 12, 2005 3:11 pm

They have a movie already made of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, an older one, I don't know if you knew that. I've seen it multiple times. It's a two tape movie, so it's pretty lengthy. I have read the book and i have the complete series but I have only read that one. I have also seen the play, very entertaining. Was C.S. Lewis a religous man, because my dad always related that book (The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe) to religous terms. Was this a purposeful choice of Lewis', or was it mere coincidence. Which [u]many[/u] books can be seen as related religously because it all has to do with good and evil. But this book has specific events that seem so close POSSIBLE SPOILER!!!!(the sacrifice of the lion king). Although I think were not supposed to get into religous arguments here I was just curious if he was a religous man and if he purposelly related this to God. Something inside my head keeps telling me he didnt believe in God at all though. And now something else popped into my head that J.R.R. Tolkien helped make him believe in God. I don't know I cant really remember from the biography of J.R.R. Tolkien I read and I hope some of you could back up my faulty memory. :dead: ;) :D

Heres a link to a page about the old movie:
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
You should check out the movie, it's worth it (at least I liked it).

(Grondy merely added the word "old" preceding "movie" prior to the link)

grondmaster

Post#4 » Thu May 12, 2005 3:27 pm

Here is a link to the new movie: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

The link in Inwe's above post is for the old made for TV Mini-series movie. They also made a combined Mini-series of Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which was followed by The Silver Chair starring Tom Baker (my favorite Dr. Who) as Puddleglum. I don't remember them making any of the other books into movies.

I recently purchased Family Radio Theatre's 'The Chronicles on Narnia' box set of the seven audio dramas on nineteen CDs. I also have a set of the leather bound books published by Easton Press.

'Share and enjoy'

inwé

Post#5 » Thu May 12, 2005 4:32 pm

oh really, I didnt know it was a TV miniseries, I guess I wouldn't know I wasn't around then. hehe. I told my dad about the new movie because he really liked that one. He told me he really liked that book when he was young but hasn't read any of the others.

If you haven't read the book it's not very long and it's not too difficult. I highly recomend it, it's a quick read, and [u]very[/u] good. Full of good action and there arent any parts that drag on and are boring.

Stonehelm

Post#6 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:11 am

I have been a huge fan of C.S Lewis for a long time. I read his books before I discovered Tolkien. It was Lewis that introduced me to the realm of fantasy writing.

I am really looking forward to the movie coming out in December. Hopefully it will be a good one.

HP4 and then LWW. A nice selection of movies to look forward to, eh?

I will never raise the white flag.

miruvor

Post#7 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:14 am

HP4 and then LWW. A nice selection of movies to look forward to, eh?

Perhaps. I'm saving up for Legally Blonde, part 2.

grondmaster

Post#8 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:40 pm

For reviews of The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe movie, see Review L W and W Movie Here.
'Share and enjoy'

Allyssa

Post#9 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:22 am

I read the Narnia books when I was about eleven, like a lot of eleven year olds. I loved them. Kept them in a pile next to my bed for years.

Yes, Inwe, there are very definite religious allegories in the books, but I don't think we can discuss them here.

My personal favourite of the books was Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I'm not sure if it was the romance of ocean travel or the fact that Caspian was now a bit of a hunk (in the books anyway). I still have the whole set, so I might give them another read. My copy of LWW is even one of the editions with the original Pauline Baynes illustration on the cover.

I have some of the BBC versions of the books on DVD. As far as I can remember, they are fairly true to the books, which is always nice to see. I think CS Lewis would have approved. They are great, and the kids love them, but I have to admit that some of the old special effects look a bit ordinary by today's standards.
"May the Angels Guide"

elanorraine

Post#10 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:18 pm

Yes, Inwe, there are very definite religious allegories in the books, but I don't think we can discuss them here.

Rest assured I'm not going to "discuss" them here, only a comment! Lewis did say (or write in a letter somewhere) that all of his Narnia books -- and indeed his Space Trilogy books as well -- were not written in order to be religious allegories. Like Tolkien, he didn't like "allegories" very much. Rather, he made a clear distinction between his stories and allegory (in which each thing or person in a story represents or correlates directly to another thing, often very obviously, and often in order to teach some point, and in fact the author may go to great pains to UN-disguise the allegory as much as possible). I'll have to look it up, but the gist of it is that Lewis said he imagined what might happen if his God had actually created other worlds.... whereas he thinks of allegory as merely a thinly disguised way to talk about our own real world. In this sense, you will find Lewis's idea of God in his books, but the rest of the worlds he imagines are NOT meant to correspond directely to things in "our" world.

It's possible to say that Lewis wrote "theology fiction" where his books are related to theology in the same sense that "science fiction" is related to science. (That is to say, both genres imagine what might happen IF certain imaginary things were true in addition to most of what we already know or believe about either discipline).

I hope mentioning this isn't breaking the "rules", (I didn't think so, since it's about what Lewis' process of writing)

Return to “The Author”