author vs. authority

turinturumart

author vs. authority

Post#1 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:15 pm

I expect everyone's first impression of this notion to be that "turinturumart's completely lost his mind" (and I'm not sayin' I haven't; could you blame me), but then just try to look at it from a derranged Sil-atic's perspective (try it; you'll like it).

Obviously, the word "authority" seems to be related to the word "author." I do not dispute that Tolkien was the (at least original) author of all things Middle-earth. However, should we accept Tolkien's own words, first hand (as first as it can get for us), as the ultimate authority on the nature of Middle-earth, superceding all other accounts? Can we not allow for the possibility that perhaps Middle-earth has taken on a life of its own, and like a child that finally grows up and leaves home to start his/her own life, the only thing that Tolkien has to say about it is, "I hope that I brought Middle-earth up right."?

(I hope no one takes this as blashpemy.)

Etharion

author vs. authority

Post#2 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:00 am

Noo...to tell you the truth i dont know >how< to take it at all..

virumor

author vs. authority

Post#3 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:24 am

Tolkien Enterprises and Addleshaw-Goddard will love this..
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Sian

author vs. authority

Post#4 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:12 pm

A very interesting thought...! and not one that had occured to me. I think I like the idea, though, that Middle Earth is something living and breathing that could grow and change and adapt. Maybe it has taken on new life through all the fan fiction that's been written. But who then will be the authority? If we as fans give new life to Middle Earth how will we avoid conflicting realities and events?

Lord Of All

author vs. authority

Post#5 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

I modestly offer to be leader of the new Middle-earth creations. You lot may address me as Sir Lord of All.

Amarië

author vs. authority

Post#6 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Tolkien Enterprises and Addleshaw-Goddard will love this..

Yeah, ME is a locked up in his/it's room and is not allowed out to play.

(I don't think too many of our current members know who this lovely fellow we named Addershark is. *grrrr* Addleshaw Goddard Threaten Planet-Tolkien.com
Tarrant (Taz) is the creator and previous owner of PT.)
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

grondmaster

author vs. authority

Post#7 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:54 pm

:moderator: This site is based on the works of Tolkien: alternate, parallel, or modified Middle-earths are limited to the Writers Guild, our Roleplaying Guilds, and our Fan Fiction section.

We do not wish to confuse anyone with non-authorized material; there is enough to speculate about in Tolkien's differing accounts of the same subject which he wrote at various stages of his life.
'Share and enjoy'

Túrin Turambar

author vs. authority

Post#8 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:03 pm

Tolkien will always have authority over any single author or persons take on M-E.

turinturumart

author vs. authority

Post#9 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:19 pm

I think you bring up a good point, Grondmaster, albeit ambivalently supporting and opposing my crazy notion. I will defer to one of the appropriate netherregions of these forums that you suggested if I choose to indulge in any more of this heresy.

BTW, council members, I won't be offended if this thread gets moved to a forum that you deem more appropriate. Perhaps "Reading Discussion Groups" ... ? I don't know. I just thought that this topic seemed very much concerned with "The Author", so I put it here. I certainly don't think it should go in the "Roleplaying Guild", and I didn't think it would get the kind of attention that I wanted (and that it has already received) in the "Fan Fiction" forum.

Amarië

author vs. authority

Post#10 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:18 am

I think it can stay here. I feel that Tolkien's universe lived in the Professor's mind and it lives between the book covers. You can always find it there, wast and filled with wonderful creatures and many many unanswered questions. But it is Tolkien who triggers our imagination, it is Tolkien's words that makes us cry, laugh, wonder and think. ME can't live without him, because it started with him and his spirit will always be part of it.

On a different note. The difference between Turinturumart's idea of ME being alive and well on its own and LoA's wish to own it if it does, is quite interesting.

:wiggle:
"Don't complain under the stars

about the lack of bright spots in you life."

Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Return to “The Author”