Tolkien the Illustrator

galin

Tolkien the Illustrator

Post#1 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:30 pm

Surely there are some Alan Lee fans out there?

I am one. I might have noted this before, but I think his pencils to the new Children of Húrin are wonderful. His website has been in the making for some time now (it appears)... but I think it's on the way still.

virumor

Tolkien the Illustrator

Post#2 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:48 am

My favourite Tolkien artist is Katherine Carina Chmiel.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

galin

Tolkien the Illustrator

Post#3 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:57 am

I googled the name... some nice stuff! thanks Virumor. And anyone with a liking for depicting Maedros has got my vote.

About her Maedhros, Armrod and Amras for example: though it's tough to capture that 'flame-eyed' quality I think she did very well with the eyes -- I don't picture the hair quite so red maybe, but the grey eyes are handled quite nicely there.

Loss

Tolkien the Illustrator

Post#4 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:39 pm

Her work is excellent, no wonder she is your favourite... I always like it when artists give their impression of what Morgoth and Sauron would look like in their pyhsical form, like the one of Morgoth holding the throat of some poor guy... Really well done. Thanks for the name Vir :orcthumbs:

cloveress

Tolkien the Illustrator

Post#5 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:44 am

Tolkien ahd some wonderful designs of the hobbit holes, but I really wasn't satisfied with his design of Finrod Felagund's house emblem, you know, the one with the quiver of arrows and a bow?

galin

Tolkien the Illustrator

Post#6 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:30 am

Here's a thread for discussion of Tolkien's paintings, drawings, illustrations, art related tidbits, or discuss various other artists and their depictions of Middle-earth and its peoples. Sorry if there's a similar thread somewhere already.

I think Tolkien himself was a very good illustrator (though not great at depicting people perhaps, as he seems to agree sometimes), but today I'll start off with a humorous tidbit concerning another favorite Tolkien artist of mine, Pauline Baynes. Tolkien liked her art, but not, it seems, every single depiction.

I wondered if Tolkien saw PB's depiction of the Fellowship, and if so, if he had any commentary. Recently Hammond and Scull suggested (at least) that he did, and now in the new book on The Hobbit, note 14 to The Bladorthin Typescript, Rateliff notes (concerning the art for a poster map by P. Baynes)...

'... In addition to ten vignettes on the map itself, Baynes added a headpiece at top showing all nine members of the Fellowship of the Ring (plus Bill the pony) and a tailpiece at bottom showing the Black Riders, Gollum, Shelob, and a horde of orcs. Although Tolkien greatly admired Baynes' work on the whole, he disliked this particular piece so much that, in addition to writing this essay he had the top and bottom cropped off the original painting when he had it framed for presentation to his longtime secretary, Joy Hill (personal communication, May 1987).'

:)

galin

Tolkien the Illustrator

Post#7 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:57 pm

The device (for Finrod) I'm thinking of includes a harp and a torch; or looks like these things to me anyway.

H&S describe: 'Tolkien may have meant to suggest that this device was created for Finrod by Men, as it is closer in design to the devices of Men he described in The Lord of the Rings and drew in the early 1960s, than it is to the other, geometrical Elvish devices he created at the same time. The latter are usually symmetrical on every axis, which often imparts a sense of perpetual rotation, perhaps intended to suggest the immortality of the Elves within the circles of the world.'

'In contrast, the devices of Men tend to be symmetrical only on either side of the vertical axis, and often have a strong horizontal axis as well. In these the movement is not circular, but extends from the centre outward towards the frame with an impetus to thrust beyond it.'

Interesting, never thought of that.

virumor

Tolkien the Illustrator

Post#8 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:16 pm

like the one of Morgoth holding the throat of some poor guy...

I think that was rather a depiction of Maedhros being captured by a Balrog.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

galin

Tolkien the Illustrator

Post#9 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:03 am

Tolkien was also an outstanding calligrapher in my opinion. Recently I noted an odd thing: for those who have a copy of The Peoples of Middle-Earth, the introduction to Dangweth Pengoloð refers to a 'superb illuminated manuscript of which the first page is reproduced as the frontispiece of this book.'

Hmmm, my Peoples of Middle-Earth has no frontispiece! despite that it's a first edition HMCO hardback. If you have JRR Tolkien Artist and Illustrator however, a page for Dangweth Pengoloð can be found in the Appendix on Calligraphy. Or, if you own a copy of Morgoth's Ring, there's a similar looking piece (at least) for The Tale of Years.

Superb again!

cloveress

Tolkien the Illustrator

Post#10 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:24 am

Nice bit of info on the house emblems, Galin!
I had never really noticed that whole vertical/horizontal axes stuff about the emblems of Men, but the circular patterns of the Eldar are definitely obvious, esp. in those of the Finwe and his sons'.

Return to “The Author”