A strange JRRT related event from my life

grondmaster

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes, probably just your subconscious, but given your relaxed state of mind and the peaceful surroundings, you may have been channeling, probably not; however, it is a very nice quotation, whatever its source.
"It's nice of you, to come here, but I am not here. Here are only my last footsteps of this Earth". -- possibly by JRR Tolkien via Eryan during a visit to his gravesite.
:)

(Grondy feels dabbling in spiritualism is silly, if not dangerous, and what Eryan was sensing was neither.)
'Share and enjoy'

Eryan

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thank you Grondy for understanding! :)
Actually I hesitated a long time whentehr I should tell you this, but finally I thought, why not? And suddenly I wished to share that feeling with you - serious, intelligent, sensitive & romantic Tolkien fans from PT...

Allyssa

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Eryan, that is one of the most romantic and wonderful things I have ever heard. :sad:
"May the Angels Guide"

TomBombadillo

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It really is wonderful! The mystery of human life and death and the world. I don't think we'll ever be able to understand, but perhaps that's just as well.
Denial is not a river in Africa.

MelliotSandybanks

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Eryan, I am glad that you shared that with us. It was very interesting. I agree with Grondy.
but given your relaxed state of mind and the peaceful surroundings, you may have been channeling, probably not; however, it is a very nice quotation, whatever its source.

celtavhc

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Wow, I always wanted to go to Tolkien's grave, see at least his last "place" in this earth... How is Tolkien's grave? What do you feel when you are close to it?

Florian

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

You bet!!! If I had ever been there , to Tolkien's grave!!!my mind would have been mmixed up and all sorts of voices in my head would have , just like you , made me really weird... You were very lucky to live next to him. I think I would have felt the exact same way you did. Don't worry, everyone is abnormal here, :P: me for start...

LadyFeawen

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Eryan,thanks for sharing that with us,very intresting :D
Yes, probably just your subconscious, but given your relaxed state of mind and the peaceful surroundings, you may have been channeling, probably not; however, it is a very nice quotation, whatever its source.

I agree with that Grondy.
I was born to catch dragons in their dens
And pick flowers
To tell tales and laugh away the morning
To drift and dream like a lazy stream
And walk barefoot across sunshine days.

Andrea

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I have no doubt that you were just imagining it, I really believe in what the others are saying, that you might have been channeling or something.
That's really neat too, that you have the chance to visit his final resting place... very sweet of you
Reach high, for the stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream preceeds that goal.

Eryan

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well, it was quite a long time ago (in 1985) and his grave looked different than it looks now. It was then very simple, just a vertical stone board at the head and a stone frame around the grave, with the empty space inside where flowers could be planted. But on several occasions I found only withered, very sad looking flowers there, and I even dared to remove them, they looked so sad, as if he were already forgotten and if nobody cared for him enough to keep his grave postThreadIDy...
On the board there were only the names of Tolkien and of his wife Edith, and also the names Beren and Luthien.
Now I have seen on TV that two other vertical stone boards have been added on two sides of the original board, adorned with a pattern of Numenorean tiles designed by Tolkien himself.
Returning to those old times, I was astonished that I never ever met anyone else there. I supposed that his grave will be visited by crowds of admirers of his work.
Another touching point for me, as a Pole. Tolkien was a Roman Catholic and so his grave is located in a relatively small Roman Catholic part of the cemetery. And it is surrounded mainly by graves of Polish exiles after the 2nf World War, when Poland fell under the dominion of Soviet Union.
It was so strange, to be able to visit his grave - unbearably poignant, almost like to be in Lorien!
I must have somewhere a photo of his grave, perhaps one day I will scan it and send to Taz to show everybody...

Return to “The Author”