Tolkien life story

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

forgot :(

*by Michael White...

grondmaster

Tolkien life story

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Amon: Welcome to our forum. :happyelf:

If you use the Edit Button at the bottom of your post you can go back and modify your original post to the way you wished to had written it, rather than having to apologise for adding another post with the missing info. :teacher:

And no, I have not read that book; however, I expect someone here has.
'Share and enjoy'

Stonehelm

Tolkien life story

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I've read his life story, I don't know who wrote it though.

Did you all hear that J.R.R Tolkien's son John has died? He was 85.
I will never raise the white flag.

MelliotSandybanks

Tolkien life story

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Did you all hear that J.R.R Tolkien's son John has died? He was 85.

I have done a search on the web, and could find nothing to confirm that. nn[Edited on 2/3/2003 by MelliotSandybanks]

chikakat

Tolkien life story

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I found a bunch of newspaper articles using my school's news database that mentioned his death, but they also had some disturbing rumors about Fr Tolkien's career as a priest...I don't know if any of it is reputable, and I'm inclined to think that it's not...does anybody know anything about a paper called the "Sunday Mercury"? I've never heard of it, and I can't find mention of John Tolkien's death or anything else in any more major papers.

MelliotSandybanks

Tolkien life story

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I found a lot of things talking about Father John's career. Sounds like it was pretty bad. That is a shame, however, I am not sure how reputable the articles are either, that is why I didn't say anthing either

Thanks for looking chikakat.

MelliotSandybanks

Tolkien life story

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ok, I went to the TolkienSociety web site and asked them what they knew about the death of Tolkien's oldest son. I got a response today. Here it is.

Thank you for asking. There has been no announcement or obituary yet, and
the news-source of the announcement has not yet told us where he heard it.

Fr. John has we understand been very unwell for some time, but the news report is at present unsubstantiated.

That is the best answer that I can come up with about Tolkien's son John's death.nn[Edited on 2/3/2003 by MelliotSandybanks]

grondmaster

Tolkien life story

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Last week I found a few of news reports while looking for articles to post on our home page, but decided the antics of a famous person's grown children, whether reputable or not, should not be fodder for the fans of that person. Just as I would not discuss the drinking/drug habits of any sitting president's children on a site dedicated to his works. We can safely leave such things to the tabloids as they have no bearings on the creative works of the postAuthorID. :elfroleeyes:
'Share and enjoy'

MelliotSandybanks

Tolkien life story

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Grondy, we would never place anything bad about Tolkien's son, however I did think it was of interest wheather or not his son had passed on or not. I thought it might be nice to pay our respects to him if he had. However, since that is not the case. I think you are correct, and the subject does need to be changed.

celtavhc

Tolkien life story

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hey, if you know something about John's death, please, tell me, I wanna know if it's true?

Return to “The Author”