anilorak

Post#1 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:21 pm

I once belonged to a forum called HephaestusNetwork. I lost interest in it because of the uncontrol of avatars. There were many that were offensive and unatractive to me.

Planet-Tolkien is a family website, and therefore there should be more control.

I realize that an avatar represents ones choice and personality, and in no way intend to inhibit or restrict that.

What I propose is a kind of [hide menu] or minimize option so that one can choose which avatars they do not want to look at on a regular basis.

I don't know if this is practical, or even possible, but I would like it if the council would take this into concideration.

I just hope noone will be ofended with this, It is not personal. I just want Planet-Tolkien to continue to be a site where people could be on without worrying who is looking over your shoulder.
iSaAc M.d.

valedhelgwath

Post#2 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:02 pm

Are there any avatars that are causing offense? As a Family Friendy Site, we will only allow images that are suitable for young children to view. I haven't been around for the past week and half due to a nasty virus which jumped through my firewall, but I haven't come across anything untoward since coming here this evening.

anilorak

Post#3 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:31 pm

I don't have a problem with any of them really. I am just seeing it in a family perspective.

For example, I forget who's avatar it is, but there is one of a vampire with blood all over his/her face.

It might offend some people, that is why I brought it up.

Again, I mean no personal offense :)
iSaAc M.d.

loni

Post#4 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:38 pm

I've seen the vampire one around. I think it's Vapyr's or VAmpire's or something like that. No offence, whoever you are. But I agree. I agree entirely. What could you do about it, Val?

Vee

Post#5 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:49 am

I don't agree. This may be a family site but there are far scarier things in Tolkien's writings than Vampires and blood so if someone is old enough to read Tolkien they are old enough to deal with Vampr's avatar.

I find the anime type avatars offensive. So nyer.

lord aelric

Post#6 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:10 am

Yes Anime avatars have a tenuous linkto paedophilic desires; i.e. the Big eyes, the overt reference to child sexuality, and exaggerated form...hmmm now i would ordinarily find that offensive if i was aware that the images being displayed were for exploitative purposes...

But i like to think that folk chose them b/c they are actually young people and ignorant of this fact!

:shocked:

lord aelric

Post#7 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:20 am

I dont seem to have an avatar myself, any links to some decent non-anime, family friendly, politically correct, parentally locked, high security clearanced... i digress, but appreciate some help here!

Vee

Post#8 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:23 am

I don't link them to anything in particular except they remind me of awful japanese cartoons which I find offensive to the intellect.

But thanks for putting those images in my head, Lord Aelric.

lord aelric

Post#9 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:02 am

Well i do apologise, but it was in a research paper i read awhile ago...

To be honest i used to like the Manga stuff, legend of the overfiend (badass film) and akira stand out as classics... but that whole Pokamon thing , OUCH, why did the japanese have to do that to us??? There's Chinese water-torture, then there's the Japanese Manga Mind-melter - revenge i suppose is sweet!

:rolleyes:

Vee

Post#10 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:13 am

And all the Toonami stuff..... and Beyblade rubbish.............. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Return to “Website Suggestions”