Profiles for members

Loss

Profiles for members

Post#1 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:32 pm

I dont know if there has been a thread for this yet but i wondering if there could be a page for us to have our details all on one page like our real names, age, location, gender, oh and their middle-earth location. this could be incorporated with the members list, click on their name and you can see thier profile. I hope dat this is a good idea and i hope that ppl could tell me wot they think and a council members views on this

Grep

Profiles for members

Post#2 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:21 pm

It's on the list, we'll be moving to new fourm software in the early part of next year (i'm not fixed on a date yet) which will have this functionality included along with a host of others but it's going to take a lot of time to get the database sorted out. If there are any good DBA's out there who would like to lend a hand I very much need the help, at the moment i'm fully engaged in dragging the site kicking and screaming into the world of xHTML and cleaning up the old dreamweavered to death code.

I should add that i've created a kind of mini-profile at the top of each post which goes some way towards this feature.

elrose

Profiles for members

Post#3 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:21 pm

can we get signatuers? well, mayb not sig.s but what about some little thing that is random and appears on every post we make. like a ranking! or something....

Grep

Profiles for members

Post#4 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:06 pm

I'm not sure about sigs - but i'll have a think about it!

Any other suggestions?

miruvor

Profiles for members

Post#5 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:15 pm

A search-function would come in handy.

floyd_n_milan

Profiles for members

Post#6 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:42 pm

I echo Miruvor.

Grep, I am not a DBA, but I can help you with testing the site. You won't have to test it on this live site that way...

About the signatures... I have seen a lot of other forums looking really bad due to peoples' signatures. I don't really like them. People put up some idiotic, big and ugly signatures..

Grep

Profiles for members

Post#7 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:49 pm

I agree on the signatures, and i'm working on some sort of search functionality. The problem is the database won't be copied. I've tried and i've had smarter coders than me try to get a local copy of it working but there's a layer of code in the site that just acts up. I know roughly what it does but can't figure out the spesifics of it and Taz hasn't been very helpful on this front so I basicly have to rebulid the site from scratch.

Loss

Profiles for members

Post#8 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:35 pm

i dnt really like sigs they take too much space and im glad that u like the idea although it was already in here! i do like the idea of ratings though i dnt know what they would be for for but ok!

grondmaster

Profiles for members

Post#9 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:34 pm

When we had signatures in the past on our pre 2004 Forum, we only allowed three lines of plain text (bold, italics, and underlined okay) with no html, url, smilies, or images; nor blank lines in between the allowable text lines, We were always having to email/PM people to get into compliance or quit. If I ran the zoo, I'd limit the signature to one line if even that. :badsmiley:
'Share and enjoy'

cloveress

Profiles for members

Post#10 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:07 am

Oh yes, CoE has got signatures and they look okay, only some people put too many pictures in it. I don't like or hate signatures, I only think they are unnecessary. We already have our Avatars, don't we?

Return to “Website Suggestions”