Lord Of All

Post#1 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:43 pm

Forgive me if there is another topic for this.

I just noticed that the avatar file size you are allowed to upload is VERY small. Is it not possible that you could increase the size to 70 00 or 80 000. Otherwise you don't have enough size for animated avatars.

cloveress

Post#2 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:17 pm

Hmmm... that has been a question, but from what I've been reading in the history of this site, I think we're lucky to have avatars at all. It used to be only a privilege for those who were community supporters, correct?

But still, I'm sure someone will give you a response to this request of yours. In fact, I'm a bit surprised no CM has said anything on this subject at all.

Lord Of All

Post#3 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:50 pm

I think I know why.

Amarië

Post#4 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:07 pm

(some of us have been away and missed out on a lot of stuff, you see)

Indeed avatars were limited to community supportert only, but when Ant took over he wanted them to be avilable to all. The size is fine, I see no reason to change them. We have some animated avatars already, I myself have made two. The last time we talked about animated avatars and D-rob showed of his owl, D-rob or Finderato (I think) mentioned a site which helped resize animated gif files. Maybe if you do a search, LOA, you will find that thread? I have to run again, I was just passing by and stumbled upon this thread at all. :)
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Lord Of All

Post#5 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:21 pm

8KB is VERY small. I notice how grep's avatar is far more than 8kb, so I assume for CT members its a different size allowed.

Take this avatar for example:

Witchking

gandalf-olorin

Post#6 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:20 pm

I agree, the size of the avatars is fine. "When it ain't broken, don't fix it."

Amarië

Post#7 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:44 am

so I assume for CT members its a different size allowed.

Well, you are very wrong there. Grep is the owner, he spends a lot of time and money to run this site. He can have as big an .gif file as he wants. Everybody else have the same limits. You must make the .gif the right size or find something else to use, just like the rest of us.

(The one with the animated owl changed his name to LostAndAlone. That should help you in your search I believe. :searching: )
"Don't complain under the stars

about the lack of bright spots in you life."

Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Lord Of All

Post#8 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:39 am

Thats fine. I was just commenting that it doesn't really allow for animated avatars. Still I am not going to make any fuss.

cloveress

Post#9 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:15 am

That was nicely settled, wasn't it? And besides, I personally think that all the avatars here look becoming beside their respectable names.

D-Rob

Post#10 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:35 pm

I've been thinking for a long time now, and I've thought of something. Why can't we host a picture elsewhere and link to it? I have my own website and therefore have available space (quite a lot actually) where I could host some images and then we link to them. Of course, they would have to abide by all PT rules except disk size, which should limited to about 18kb I think. This way I could have an avatar that is good quality (not amazing, and 18kb still renders quickly), and abides by all PT rules. What does everyone else think?

Return to “Website Suggestions”