There are XX People Online!

beren

Post#1 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:21 am

There are 22 People Online! Wow, amazing!? Yet i do not understand how come it sometimes takes hours to see new posts in the Forums. How does the XX People Online work? Does it show the amount of people who are on line right at this moment, or of the last hour? Or is there something i'm missing besides the Forums where i can have fun? I'm wondering because sometimes i see like 50 people on line but the last posts always stay the same...

miruvor

Post#2 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:24 am

Not everyone who's online, posts.

Not to mention, I think that most ppl who are online aren't even members of the site.

beren

Post#3 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:07 am

Hmm... sounds interesting. Like fe. now there are 51 People Online and most of them are just visiting as i understand. Could there not be a way to get them posting, after all they are spending there time here, so they are looking for something. Planet-Tolkien is very attractive and the Forums are full of fun and interesting topics. Is there something we could do to get them join up?

valedhelgwath

Post#4 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:57 am

I'm not sure whether it means there are X number of people on line, here at PT (members or not), or whether it is tapping into the membership list and finding how many members are online, but not necessarily here. For instance, I've spent several hours today playing Freelancer online, but may have been adding to the number of PT members who were online. We've several thousand members, but the vast majority are not actually active most of the time.

Grep

Post#5 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:31 pm

Actually the truth is a bit disappointing, what it's actully showing you is the number of people that the database thinks are logged in, this doesn't often bear any relation to the number of people who are actually using the site at any one time.

Beren if you're using internet explorer i think the problem is with brower cacheing. To begin with i'd suggest you beign using firefox! But you can solve the problem in the following way:

Open internet explorer go to the tools menu and choose 'internet options' click 'settings' under 'temporary internet files' and check the option 'every visit to the page' under 'check for newer versions of stored pages' then set your cache option to '20Mb'. Click 'ok' then choose 'Delete Files' check 'Delete all offline content' and click 'Ok' then 'Ok' again to close the remaining dialog box.

This ensures that internet explorer won't keep reloading the same cached information over and over again.

beren

Post#6 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:45 pm

I'm actually using Camino... aka the firefox for mac users. But i understand a bit what is going on. I was testing loggin in and out at a time no-one seemed to be on. I succeeded to raise the number of People online dramatically by doing this. Guess it counts every time someone logs in, yet has a sort of timelap before counting down again. Still always nice to see there are others on line... like now there are 187 People!! Ain't that just great!!

Grep

Post#7 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:51 pm

Ahh so you're the Camino user, i was wondering who it was! Have you tried firefox for the mac? Is it any good?

grondmaster

Post#8 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:59 pm

There are currently 334 members logged in up there now at six minutes to midnight GMT this Wednesday afternoon pushing 4 pm my time.
'Share and enjoy'

mellon

Post#9 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:10 pm

2948 people Online ?!!!!?????????? You must be joking:)

Thorin Oakenshield

Post#10 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:52 am

It says currently 118 people online. I've never seen it go beyond 300. And even with 118 people i seem to be the only one active in the forums.
The Old that is Strong does not Wither.

Return to “Website Help”