Information for Newbies!

PlasticSquirrel

Information for Newbies!

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'd just like to second what Val just said really, especially to Mellie, thanks ever so for doing that, saved us another job. :)

Welcome all, and enjoy.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

MelliotSandybanks

Information for Newbies!

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Mellie *blushes* thanks guys. I just like to help people out when I can.

MelliotSandybanks

Information for Newbies!

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

ok, I now have a couple of questions. When you go to My Account, can anyone explaing the Comments Configuration to me? What scores or whatever? I am confused.

Also, on the signature, is there a list of differnt quotes that you can put there or do you just make up your own and type it in.?

valedhelgwath

Information for Newbies!

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The way I understand it, which isn't very well, is that the Comments Configuration is a means by which each member can personally filter the amount of comments he/she sees after various news items etc. You set the score (0 to +5) that you wish and any comment scoring less will be filtered out. Comments are scored on factors depending on whether the person who commented was a member etc, and importance to a comment can be increased or decreased by a moderator.
Feel free to correct me Taz, Grondy, Plastic etc, because I'm only attempting an educated guess here.

As for your signature, I believe you just type in whatever you want (unless it's something terribly rude, in which case you'll find all of your posts getting the chop from a friendly moderator).

Hopefully someone soon will come along with a better answer and hopefully make mine disappear :)

grondmaster

Information for Newbies!

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

About the "Comments Configuration", I actually don't know having never played with them. Val is right about the signature, though in [u]The Ivy Bush[/u] Tavern is a thread called [u]Quotes[/u] which is full of them.

Also see Tolkien related quote thread called [u]Best Quote ever![/u] under [u]The Author[/u]nn[Edited on 5/9/2002 by Grondmaster]
'Share and enjoy'

MelliotSandybanks

Information for Newbies!

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks guys, you are so helpful. I really do appreciate it. :kiss:

MelliotSandybanks

Information for Newbies!

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ok, here I go again. While reading some older posts, I noticed some things that might be helpful over here for the Newbies. So, I did some cutting and pasting. I hope the info is still correct. If not Taz or one of the other council members can correct me.

Well here it is.

It's now possible for everyone to comment on news articles so... lets seem some people!!!

Wasn't that possible in the past too?

For members yes, guests no. And as I have been making extra effort to add comments, yes it's new :-)

To post comments about an article, you have to be logged out in order to have the Comment link on the home page operational and also to even see the active Post Comment Button on the Read More Page.

When you are logged in, you just can't get there from here

I hope this helps someone.

MelliotSandybanks

Information for Newbies!

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ok, now I have another question.

What does the topped mean after a topic of a thread :question:

For example:
Information for Newbies! (Topped)

Maybe I should stop playing around on PT, because the more I am here, the more questions I have. Just call me nosey.

What exactly is the mailing list for :question: What kind of discussions :question:

nn[Edited on 6/9/2002 by MelliotSandybanks]

rednell

Information for Newbies!

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Good question Mel, I hve wondered about (topped) as well. I kind of made an assumption that happens when someone bumps the topic thread to the top of the discussion area. That is just an assumption, I really do not know.
Mailing List:
You can submit your e-mail to the mailing list and anyone on the list can start a discussion topic in which the participants use their e-mail accounts to post their discussions. We have had a few. For instance, I am on the mailing list, so I could send out a question like, "Was Sam more help or hinderance to Frodo?". Everyone would get the e-mail and respond by replying to all. Then it gets interesting as everyone puts their 2 bits in. Have I confused you? ;)

ProgHead777

Information for Newbies!

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Normally, when you enter a category from the board index, the topics are organized with the most recently active threads at the top of the list. When a thread is "topped", it is stuck at the top of the list regardless of how long it's been since it was last active. This is generally only done with threads that contain important information and, if I'm not mistaken, only council members can top threads.

Now, I have a question. What is a "sticky thread", what use are they, and why don't we have them here at PT? I see them on other forums but I can't for the life of me figure out what it means.
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

Return to “Website Help”