PT for sale....

floyd_n_milan

PT for sale....

Post#1 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:43 pm

Excuse me?

My bad, for never reading the homepage of the site.... But, it's come to me as a real shock. Anyways. What I did find interesting though, was this from Ebay:

#1) What is the memberships reaction to you selling the site?

There hasn't been one, yet. However the members understand that it won't change anything as such, but instead mean they will have a webmaster in charge who can give them the time they deserve.

rue auburn

PT for sale....

Post#2 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:49 pm

What's this all about?

floyd_n_milan

PT for sale....

Post#3 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:13 pm

Hmmm. Not exactly the point I wanted to make. What I really meant was, that I have two sides on this. First is that we should have been notified more openly (this can be argued upon, but oh well, I do think that) and I do feel bad about PT being sold.

The other side is, we don't know who the webmaster is going to be, so we cannot say if this is for good or bad. But, wouldn't it be nice to hope that we do get another person like Taz, who does care about this site, as much as we do? And not to mention, I think we should thank Taz for giving us this website in the first place and then, its the matter of supporting the site, which we love. No use going all crazy over the changing of the webmaster. I figure we can just wait and see.....

rue auburn

PT for sale....

Post#4 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:16 pm

Well this is something I wasn't expecting,and don't like it very much.

virumor

PT for sale....

Post#5 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:26 pm

No worries there Floyd, I am going to buy it!
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

GrevBukMcJern

PT for sale....

Post#6 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:17 pm

Floyd: linky is borked.

Why is selling bad? He's selling, not selling out.

PT ruled by Taz:

PT ruled by Vir:

Edit:
*sigh* Given that pretty much everything I post on this site is taken as an insult by someone, even, and particulary, when no offence is intended, I should make it painstakenly obvious: Don't get offended!! What is the point anyway? A gift, when not accepted, stays with the giver. An insult likewise. *sigh* What a world.... :(

No smileys were harmed in the production of this post.
Support your local charter of the RPCS today!
What are you looking down here for?

floyd_n_milan

PT for sale....

Post#7 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:20 pm

Link to Ebay

Ok. Help yourself with the copy paste :P ...... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3873042469

(Edited by floyd_n_milan to add the link)

floyd_n_milan

PT for sale....

Post#8 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:24 pm

Why is selling bad? He's selling, not selling out.

But, but.......

rhapsody

PT for sale....

Post#9 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:21 am

Well.. Aule told me that the site is on sale. I never check the front page for news, for that I have TORN. It isn't listed on the personal page as local news. I think my first reaction was that Aule was making a joke. Until I say the e-bay page.

I have several things that are big on my mind. I can understand why Taz is selling the site. I am responsible for some sites myself and it is sometime a balancing act between updating that and work or other real life things. Having your customers reminding you for updates is sometimes a bit embarrassing. Anyway, he is making that clear on the e-bay site. But as Floyd said: no mention of it here at all. Maybe he discussed it with his CM's. The thing is, if the member base is that big, why didn't he ask around here first.

I always thought of this site as being in one big fellowship, always willing to help each other, lending a hand wherever you can. I am certain there would be people who would have volunteered some of their free time by sharing their knowledge and helping out in matters as site management, putting things online in several sections. This simply could have been done without elevating them to a CM status (if that was an objection for the current CM's). But is all said and done, a decision has been made.

Another thing though is that as a member I pay for 3 supported memberships... what will happen to my financial details? I currently feel very uncomfortable that my details will be sold off to someone else. What will the new owner do with the information the current member database holds? Currently nobody has to pay to become a member, but as the information on ebay says: it is a possibility.

I am a bit worried how the Tolkien Estate will react on this, as far as I know, the lawsuit is not over from yet and I am worried how this might be used against Taz as wanting to make a profit out of it.

The bottom line is: I feel a bit put on auction currently without being consulted first. As I said above, I know why, but in a way I feel a bit disappointed that if the site promotes: Join us in a fellowship like no other.. I absolutely hate to see that Taz feels like he has to let go of his baby and I know that he will do everything that is in his power to make a transferral go smoothly. After so many years of dedication, letting go is very hard. It just saddens me that a person who made a fellowship possible, (seemingly) never thought that the fellowship of 5000 members would love to lend a hand and help him out.

Vee

PT for sale....

Post#10 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:09 am

We all know taz as creator/originator of this site and we all feel a little disconcerted by the prospect of a new 'boss' but that is normal.

I can't see anyone being willing to buy this site and then change it all. After all they are buying the website, design, facilities and membership. To me it is the community created by our members that matters and whether any changes will be made or not the community remains. We are here to share, learn, enjoy Tolkien as well as general chitchat, games etc and I see no reason why we cannot carry on doing that regardless of who owns the site.

Don't worry, wait and see. A new webmaster with more time and enthusiasm could do a lot for this site. As taz said, there are a lot of things waiting to be implemented that he simply hasn't had the time to do. At least he didn't inlcude his boxers in the sale.

In a few weeks' time we'll be saying taz who? Nooooo, never! There'll always be a place for taz in this community and the next round is on him.

Return to “Website General Discussion”