No more avatars?

Stonehelm

No more avatars?

Post#1 » Tue May 25, 2004 9:07 am

It's cool, mate. I fully understand.

I would be a supporter, but I have no plastic, if you know what I mean. But I plan to open a account at my local bank sometime in the future. When I do I can join up to help support te site. ;)
I will never raise the white flag.

Vee

No more avatars?

Post#2 » Tue May 25, 2004 9:08 am

Yep, taz, hard as it may seem I can see the point. Some things have to be earned one way or another. Posting is far more important than having an avatar so it stands to reason that this is something that Supporters get that others don't.

And it is only £1 a month, and well worth it.

Come on you lot, get Community Supporting!

Snape

No more avatars?

Post#3 » Tue May 25, 2004 9:12 am

Yes, avatars are still available for those members who want to use them. However, it has since been decided by myself to make this feature available to community supporters only. I hope our existing member base can understand and respect my reasons for this. For the five years now that Planet-Tolkien.com has been running we have simply 'asked' for donations or that users who could afford to become supporters do so, unfortunately, we have never had more than ten people sign-up out of our 4000 members. This just isn't enough.

Planet-Tolkien costs a lot of money each month to keep it going and it's a strain, in honesty. I toyed with limiting the other features instead of the avatars, but in truth, the avatars are popular and I know that if anything could maybe get some more members to sign-up, this is it.

I appreciate that some people don't have credit cards, and maybe that some people can't even find £1 a month (which is very cheap). So, if you can't, I am sorry for that. I hope however that those members who are too young to have a credit card will annoy, bug, and persuade anyone in their family that does have one, to come up trumps and support the site.

I apologise to those that are annoyed by this change, but trust me, it could be a lot worse and we could have limited a lot more features than just the avatars, like some of the other popular tolkien websites do.

As usual, this isn't open to debate, blah blah blah. It's done and just blame me.

P.S. Click here to become a community supporter and have your avatar returned.

tommie

No more avatars?

Post#4 » Tue May 25, 2004 10:45 am

It's hard, but I can understand. :wink:

I'll try to persuade my parents. Honestly, I'm working on it. And I do want my avatar back. *sigh* lol

Nilgaerien

No more avatars?

Post#5 » Tue May 25, 2004 11:17 am

I agree with you, Taz and it's cool. I'm actually doing the same as Stoney right now and as soon as I get my act together and get my piece of plastic, I'm gonna support. :D

Amarië

No more avatars?

Post#6 » Tue May 25, 2004 12:10 pm

Ahh... my beloved blue bat winged darling is back. Missed you! *hugs avatar*
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Etharion

No more avatars?

Post#7 » Tue May 25, 2004 1:42 pm

Cool. I too totaly understand Taz about the avatars, its just a pity there arent going to be so much familiar faces looking at us anymore. I dont think my mom would let me give away even 1pound , because she thinks its stupid. But ill try anyway. :elfbiggrin:

Stonehelm

No more avatars?

Post#8 » Tue May 25, 2004 3:32 pm

I though it might be a good idea to give the conversion from British Pounds or other currencies.

1GBP = 1.81 US

1 GBP = 1.50 EURO

1 GBP = 2.56 Australian Dollar

1 GBP = 2.50 Canadian Dollar

Remember, currencies change their value against each other.
I will never raise the white flag.

cerridwen

No more avatars?

Post#9 » Tue May 25, 2004 5:00 pm

I was wondering if it were at all possible to have somewhere to send money orders??? Maybe pay for the entire year so that some could perhaps have the chance to have their avatar back? I am one of the less unfortunate to not have plastic. I'm just trying to think of other ways. My avatar actually intrigued someone enough to inspire an email and perhaps lead to a friendship. Just a thought anyway. Thanks :)
Blessed Be!
Cerridwen

virumor

No more avatars?

Post#10 » Tue May 25, 2004 5:16 pm

There is another way... making a seperate account at a local bank for the site. if you give up the account number on the site, then ppl who are willing to support could easily make their banks put a monthly sums of 1.50 € on that account.

Makes it easier for ppl who don't have VISA or Mastercard.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Return to “Website News”