PT DOWN

Grep

PT DOWN

Post#1 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:26 pm

That was a sticky few moments there! I moved banks a couple of months back and the direct debit that pays for the PT hosting didn't get carried over. I also didn't realise that I hadn't changed the email address that the ISP had for me so I didn't get the alerts. But I won't deny that there are financial problems since i've been unemployed for three months (starting new job with BT on friday tho) and had to choose between paying the phone and gas bill and getting PT back online.

Taz, without my knowlege and against my express wishes has been collecting the money from the PT supporter payment scheme since i took over the site, which is the reason we have stopped all the payments!

So i would like to start a simple donation scheme using paypal. In the last 12 months PT has cost 2500 GBP to run. We have generated $500 USD (200 GBP) in advertising revenue and to continue the development of the site we could do with a few quid in the bank! I don't need to make a profit but i would like to cover the costs incurred in running the site.

So we'll run the scheme as follows:

- Donate any amount from 2 GBP to 10 GBP and you'll earn my eternal thanks and a mention on the forthcoming PT supporters page.

- Donate 24 GBP (2 GBP Per Month) and you'll get the PT supporter badge in your profile, my eternal thanks, a special mention on the PT supporter page and access to a secret forum area of PT.

- Donate more than than 35 GBP you'll get all of the above plus a unique PT T-Shirt and access to an extra special list of tolkien characters which will appear in your profile and be unique only to you. This feature will take a month to get online and doubtless there will be a long que but there can only be one Gandalf!

All donations are one off, please send any donations using paypal to ant@planet-tolkien.com and then send me an email with your contact information to the same address.

(Sorry to have to ask for money, and whatever you can afford is very much appreciated) Grep

floyd_n_milan

PT DOWN

Post#2 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:08 pm

Gosh. This is one of those occasions where I would want to forget about the site being Family Friendly.

Anyway, *sigh* I cannot donate money, because I do not earn right now. I can't ask my parents for the money either.

Anyway, here's a suggestion. I don't know what the current host costs, but, have you checked out Dreamhost yet? They appeared to be quite cheap to me. I found them via Humorix and they seem to be quite happy.

If you need any help with computers and all, I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Gosh I don't want PT to go down.

Grep

PT DOWN

Post#3 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:47 pm

If you can't help don't worry - it's really a question of having a tier one host, the cheap hosts can't cut it unfortunately. Most of the money this year went on paying a DBA to sort out the messy database. PT won't go down! But i could do with some help on the costs front.

cloveress

PT DOWN

Post#4 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:38 pm

this is just one of the times when i also feel really bad i can't do anything to help. Financial problems are not in an area I can do anything to ease up the tension. I am very reassured that PT won't go down, but also very very sorry about my helplessness and a bit guilty about letting Grep and Taz carry all the pressure on their shoulders.

floyd_n_milan

PT DOWN

Post#5 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:39 am

Grep and Taz carry all the pressure on their shoulders.

I really wonder! Grep must be pulling his hair out by now...

rhapsody

PT DOWN

Post#6 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:48 am

OK, when I signed up to contribute, it was said that the payment could only be stopped by Taz. In the mean time, every time of the month, money got transferred, so how can this be stopped then?

Vee

PT DOWN

Post#7 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:09 am

Hi Rhapsody! Long time no see.

All the payments have been stopped now. However, if you, or anyone else, finds that money is still being taken from your accounts under the old PT subscription scheme then please email the Council.

I think the situation was made worse by the complexity of the payment scheme which made it near impossible to differentiate payments between PT members and other sources. Hopefully nothing similar will happen with the new scheme.

rhapsody

PT DOWN

Post#8 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:19 am

Hi Rhapsody! Long time no see.

Hey honey, I am trying to be around as much as possible, just going through the final weeks before this little dunadan is born. But thanks, I ask my SO to have a look at it and thanks so much for all the efforts you guys have done. Once our son is born, I see what I can do to become a contributing member again.

Amarië

PT DOWN

Post#9 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:16 am

Hopefully nothing similar will happen with the new scheme.

I don't think it will. I use Paypal to pay for my shiremail address. I don't know how it looks in the recieving end, but I can cancel my payments when I want to.
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Vee

PT DOWN

Post#10 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:30 pm

WOW! A baybeeeeeeeeeeeee! Wonderful. When?

Return to “Website News”