Chatroom Closed for Duration

grondmaster

Post#1 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:39 pm

Notice: The Planet-Tolkien Council can no longer provide a safe haven in our chatroom for our membership to converse; therefore the chatroom link has been removed for the duration. Our irc server(s) are playing politics; we've lost our channel ops and their bot; and most importantly we have no responsible adults who can spare the time 24/7 to properly monitor the chatroom up to the standard we require for the safety of the participants.

When we say for the duration, we mean it may be temporary, but we don't know if it is a matter of days, weeks, or months; and maybe not even until someone decides to film The Hobbit.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.
'Share and enjoy'

beren

Post#2 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:26 am

Ah, that explains why I can't get in. Personally, I hope no-one decides to film The Hobbit. Not after the complete horlicks Peter Jackson made out of LOTR.

gandalf-olorin

Post#3 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:49 pm

Grondy, would Grep be considering some other venue by which we might eventually get a different/better chatroom? I admit I haven't been to chat lately. But when I used to, I did enjoy being able to talk with other members of PT. So perhaps it might be something to look at.

rednell

Post#4 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:58 am

Gandalf,
We are looking at all our options. Since it is not possible to moderate the chatroom 24/7 a bot would be necessary. We need a programmer for that. We do realize the value in having the chatroom, however, we have to be sure that we can provide a comfortable environment for our members. Of course applying the word 'safe' to an Internet chatroom is a relative term, as many have discovered, safety can never be guaranteed.

During the 4 years of the PJ era the chatroom was a happening place and I have many very happy memories. I would love to see it return to its full glory someday, but it takes manpower, committment and a lot of interest from members.

tuesday

Post#5 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:16 am

hello to d ppl i used to lov b4

i MISS the chat

Post#6 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:02 pm

Ah, that is sad, the chatroom was in the past a very friendly place. I hope this gets sorted out!

rafael

Post#7 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:18 pm

Can anyone tell us how far away a chatroom really are?

grondmaster

Post#8 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:39 pm

I think only Grep could do that and his answer might be: 'quite distant, but not nearly as far as the ends of the Earth'.
'Share and enjoy'

MelliotSandybanks

Post#9 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:44 pm

I wish we still had the chat room. I miss it terribly. That was where all the good/bad stuff came out and was really fun.

Post#10 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:44 am

When we say for the duration, we mean it may be temporary, but we don't know if it is a matter of days, weeks, or months; and maybe not even until someone decides to film The Hobbit.

So this would be looking closer then? (Assuming PJ and newline don't actually go to war over LotR) Even if we can't get it up 24/7 we used to have that other room that was only open at certain times - would the council be able to volunteer time each week to have it open? The you could post when it would be open on here, and those of us that wanted to could attend.... Even a trial of this?

The chatroom was a great place, I'd love to see it back even in a limited way. I find the forum a lot harder to use these days, it's bigger and the amount of threads is crazy, you can't see the names of the people who are online so you know who you are talking to... The immediacy of it is definitely missing.

Return to “Website News”