We've moved web hosts

Snape

We've moved web hosts

Post#1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:24 am

Hi everyone,

In the last hour we moved web hosts, so please keep an eye out for any [new] bugs you see around the website. I did a snapshot of the database just before moving so that should all be fine, the main thing I have left to do is install the SSL certificate so we can get back to forcing https around the site.

Thanks

Snape

We've moved web hosts

Post#2 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:55 pm

The private messaging system is broken, I'm looking into it.

Snape

We've moved web hosts

Post#3 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:42 am

Private messages are now fixed.

Snape

We've moved web hosts

Post#4 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:39 am

https:// (SSL) is now back

Snape

We've moved web hosts

Post#5 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:43 am

You can now see who is online, and who isn't again (it's been broken for some time, and always showed people as offline).

curufinwe

We've moved web hosts

Post#6 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:02 am

Right now it says

Taz

has made billions upon billions of posts and is an Uruk-Hai from Isengard and is online.

Posted Wednesday 6th August 2014 (08:43am)

But you aren't showing up at the bottom right...

Snape

We've moved web hosts

Post#7 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:06 am

That's because I'm not logged-in to the chat.

Oerath Windsoul

We've moved web hosts

Post#8 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:32 am

Awesome, Taz. Good to see people online once more. :)

'Come explore the astral heights of the gallery of imagination and time.'

Snape

We've moved web hosts

Post#9 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:53 pm

Curufinwe, I was thinking about your question and wanted to explain...

The chat program we use at  the bottom right is by a third party called envolve – it's not very good and I'm looking to replace it – but separately to that, it uses a different way of detecting who is online and how many users are online at any given time.

The forum (which I wrote), where it says "and is online" above each user's post, uses the "session" store of our web server. Basically, every time a user visits the website a session cookie is created which I store in a folder on the server and associate with that user in the database so I can detect whether a logged-in user is online or not. The server, periodically expires these sessions, however, this isn't instant and often can be 30-50 minutes in between. This basically means that the forum can sometimes report that a user is still online, when they're not – and this will be cleaned when the session expires.

arwen undómiel

We've moved web hosts

Post#10 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:13 am

Has the fact we moved host to do with me not being able to log-in my email? Anyways, Taz, help! I can't check my email anymore!
''Loyalty is the only moral instinct that can exist on the same plane as truth itself. They may clash, but one can never overcome the other without cost.''

Semper Fi ⚓ ∞

Namárië

Return to “Website News”