Tolkien Characters vs Other Fairy Tale Creatures

rednell

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I agree with Grondy that The Tolkien Reader is an excellent place to start.
My latest Tolkien related purchase is The Magical Worlds of the Lord of the Rings: The amazing myths, legends, and facts behind the masterpiece by David Colbert. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I will check it out for answers to your questions.

musicimprovedme

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Actually I went looking and found a website that is just incredible, very exhaustive and factual about exactly my questions. It is a huge glossary about folklore but is part of a larger database about mythology, fairy tales, etc. Here is the link, in case anyone else is wondering like me.

http://www.pantheon.org/areas/folklore/folklore/articles.html

I hope you find it interesting. Personally, I bookmarked it.

PS-This database did not list hobbits or ents but orcs are defined as "A sea-monster fabled by Ariosto, Drayton, and Sylvester to devour men and women. According to Pliny, it was a huge creature 'armed with teeth'."

musicimprovedme

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

When I think of Disney characters I picture the ultimate fairytale. They are all interesting but the difference between them and Tolkien's characters is that the Disney characters don't give you a sense of reality. And I'm not saying that simply because they are cartoons and the characters in LOTR are not; it's just that the characters in LOTR seem so much more real because there is so much more depth to them than the Disney characters. We know so much more about them. In Disney movies, we are introduced to the characters and the story but there is no character development.

Yeah, and I suppose that often enough the characters in Disney being animals doesn't help in the old REALITY department huh? hahah.

But seriously, I was thinking the same thing. I love Disney movies too and they have indeed covered most of the major fairy tales with a few of their own that will go down in history. I think Disney has turned to folklore and plugged into their characters what they want us to know about a stereotype of that character. Put a wizard's hat, robe, and wand on Mickey Mouse and all of a sudden we have Magical Mickey Mouse capable of pulling off a role like Fantasia, etc, even if the last time we saw him he was baking a cake with Minnie or dealing with his nephews or playing with Pluto. Not a criticism, though, I think Disney is more geared for children, or at least needs to be within their grasp. When you tell a story to kids, you need pretty pictures and a fast paced plot or else you will lose them, so stock characters fill in a lot of information in very little time.

Thanks for the Dragon link, Ring...is the other stuff up your alley? In exchange, you may find a lot of good info on the link I posted.

LadyFeawen

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It is funny how Disney made Peter Pan look elvish(in a way).
Here is another cool website on LoTR,
www.thecouncilofelrond.com

I cant Wait till next December when the next movie comes out!I like the books more though.

[Edited on 5/3/2003 by Grondmaster]nn[Edited on 5/3/2003 by Grondmaster]
I was born to catch dragons in their dens
And pick flowers
To tell tales and laugh away the morning
To drift and dream like a lazy stream
And walk barefoot across sunshine days.

Delidia

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

music....just to tell you, Peter Pan was going to be young all his life. Elves get older, much much older, they just dont look it. :)

musicimprovedme

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

music....just to tell you, Peter Pan was going to be young all his life. Elves get older, much much older, they just dont look it.

Hey you are right Delidia. But can we assume that since Peter Pan never grows up, he never ages and would not die due to age, just like the Tolkien's Elves? That was kind of my thinking...and I'll be doggone if both he and Robin Hood don't look an awfully lot alike...according to Disney. (I'm pretty sure Robin Hood wasn't an elf either hahaha.)

Ring, I have seen both Kevin Costner's (editing now: that is Robin Wiliams, and the movie is Hook. I saw Kevin Costner's Robin Hood) version and Disney's Peter Pan, I liked them. Disney's Peter Pan had a sequal, Return to Never Never Land which went straight to video and the only reason I know about it is from being with kids all the time. My fav Disney cartoon happens to be Robin Hood though. I LOVE what Disney did with the characters of Mr. Smee (Capt Hook's first mate) and with Prince John and Sir Hiss. Disney has a real gift for imagining what animal would equate to a certain person's character. Did you ever notice that in Robin Hood, Prince John does NOT have a mane? He is drawn as a female. I wonder what that means...hahaha.

Oh yeah, and I love the way Disney draws the celebrities features into their animated characters. Perfect example is how you can tell the three hyenas apart in Lion King. I can tell which one is Whoopi Goldberg at any rate, can't you?nn[Edited on 12/3/2003 by musicimprovedme]

Return to “General Discussion”