Harry Potter

valedhelgwath

Harry Potter

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi Andrea, and a big welcome to Planet Tolkien. I'm afraid I've had to switch the signature off in your previous post, however, as it breached our rule about signatures being no more than three lines long.

Have a great time here :)

musicimprovedme

Harry Potter

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to PT Andrea...Yes there are lots of similarities!

Lots of characters and themes are very similar. I have just gotten into Tolkien rather recently and just finished LOTR myself, maybe your experience was different. I actually kicked off my fantasy reading with HP and it was a thrilling introduction to the genre. Actually I'm glad that I did it that way because only after I read LOTR, did I understand how much Rowling borrowed from the fantasy warehouse of ideas, and if I had known I probably would not have enjoyed it so much. I do love HP and I am waiting for the fifth book just like everyone else. It has plenty to offer in its own right but like I will probably say forever now, it ain't LOTR...I actually think I'm pretty much done with other fantasy fiction postAuthorIDs now that I have read it because it probably doesn't have a chance to measure up!

Particular similarities I have noticed are the characters of Gandalf and Dumbledore, Sauron and Voldemort, and Frodo and Harry...plus the birds who became impromtu charter planes in each story, hahaha...

I started a thread to compare/contrast Tolkien with CS Lewis if you are interested? Specifically Middle Earth and Narnia. And there is a thread called The Return of Exactly What are You Reading Right Now? Plus if I remember correctly, there might be a thread or two about Harry Potter....check the pubs! I hope you have fun here, it's a place for both fun and information!

Andrea

Harry Potter

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks, I changed it :elfwink:
Reach high, for the stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream preceeds that goal.

Andrea

Harry Potter

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

musicimprovedme that's exactly what I meant, how similar they are. I too like Rowling, but I just happened to read Tolkien first, that's why I noticed it.
I'll be sure to check out the pubs too! :elfbiggrin:
Reach high, for the stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream preceeds that goal.

grondmaster

Harry Potter

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hello Andrea, welcome to our Forum. :happyelf:

I hadn't noticed that before, but of course imitation is often the best form of flattery.
'Share and enjoy'

rednell

Harry Potter

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to PT Andrea. I hope you enjoy your visits here.
In answer to your question, yes. As a matter of fact some members have already had this discussion. May I direct you to:
The Prancing Pony > Parralells
http://www.planet-tolkien.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewthread&postThreadID=938

This post will be moved to the aforementioned thread in a couple of days.

PlasticSquirrel

Harry Potter

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Like Wormtongue, she has a character named that and so does Tolkien.

Peter Pettigrew's nickname is wormTAIL rather than tongue, but yeah, you do have a point. But isn't everything derivative of everything else when you get right down to it?
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Sheryl

Harry Potter

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Authors get ideas from other postAuthorIDs. That`s how she got those names. She just slightly changes them.
I love you! I love you!
I must say it with all my heart!
I love you! I love you!
I wish we weren`t apart!
You know who I am
I know who you r
I have told u this sweet sumthin
even tho u r afar!

raptor

Harry Potter

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Personally I h.a.t.e. HP,but don't mind me.Still,i think you can't compare the two writers,nor their books.In no way.
ps Welcome to the forum!Hope you don't mind I said what i said,but different people,different opinions.See you round!

MelliotSandybanks

Harry Potter

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I personally love both postAuthorIDs, and yes Rowling did draw from Tolkien, but raptor, is correct. They are in 2 different classes, and of course Tolkien is a much better postAuthorID. There are times when you just want something a bit different to read and that is where Rowling comes in. I have really enjoyed reading HP. I read all the books so far first and then read them to FrogBoy. He has since gone back and re-read them himself. We are anxiouly awaiting the next book.

Return to “General Discussion”