Languages of ME and real languages: funny coincidences

Eryan

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ah yes, I forgot French! There is one thing here, too, although I doubt whether it is a coincidence. The name "de Rohan" is the name of a famous French aristocratic family, well known in history. If I remember well, one de Rohan was even a Marechal of France!

Amarië

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I have one!
Gamling=old man in Norwegian. There was a bit giggling in the theater when Theoden(?) called for Gamling in TT. And ironicly Gamling IS an old man.. it's almost like JRR knew.

And Arveleg I and II (kings of Arthedain).
Arveleg= inheritable, like a inheritable disease or something like that. And the name is used twice, so the name itself is inhertiable too! ;)
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Samwisegamgee

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Those are some good ones!
I can think of two off the top of my head that are not really funny but interesting...
Hama is a name from Beowulf.
Aragon, similar to Aragorn, is a province (is this the right word?) in France.
Sharku, according to Tolkien, is an orc word for old man, it is also a Mongolian word for old man.

Rodia

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Eryan, jak sie masz?:D

But I'm surprised you didn't mention the one that always makes Tolkien n00bs giggle...Legolas.

Golas=nude. Ergo, Legolas=Le Naked Elf.
;)
And poor Gil-galad...gil is a common word for snot (and incidentally also bullfinch.)

I'm sure there's more, it's going to bug me all day now...

While we're on the subject, Lugburz...that could be the name of any little town in Poland. The spelling is so familiar...nn[Edited on 28/7/2003 by Rodia]

raptor

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Speaking of Taur-nu-Fuin;taur translates as 'bull' in romanian.Uruk is a city of old Babilon,if I'm not wrong;there's a village not very far from my city named...Bagend(of course,this is translated).I visited it...but no round doors :( ;) ; :elfconfused:

Amarië

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Aulë:
Aule - to swarm, swarming. (New Norwegian/nynorsk) :)

musicimprovedme

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't have anything to add to this except that since Tolkien was a linguist (dare I say a cunning one ;) ) he probably knew these things and put them in his work.

Amarië

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well i doubt he knew ALL these things as most of them makes no sense, but the others.. He was cunning, that is true. ;)
There will always be words who have a different meaning in another language. Like in Norwegain, Sweedish and Danish; three very simular languages. The word "grine" means to cry in norwegain and to smile in danish. "Glass" is glass in Norwegian (and english) but means ice cream in Sweedish.

Return to “General Discussion”