What do you like better, the book or the movie???

Aulë

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I HATE the movies.....I LOVE the books! J.R.R. Tolkien RULES!!!! All hail to our old master!
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

Tyrhael

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'd have to say the books... the movies were great as movies but OK as representations of Tolkien's Middle-Earth (*cough* Faramir), and since I have seen the movies too much I find that my previous opinions and reflections on the book have been overwritten; I can no longer remember details from the book while I vividly remember scenes from the movies. So, I'm re-reading the books, and I'm discovering things I had either totally forgotten or never read (why do I skim whole paragraphs?). Summing up what I just said: I like the books better than the movies; but the movies were good as well (as long as you can still imagine Middle-earth as you did before seeing the movies).

Peredhil

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think Aulë put it as well as anyone could.
A mind full of fire and a fistful of steel.

virumor

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Oh pls what a stupid question. i love the books, i hate the movies.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

grondmaster

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

What we got here folks is apples and oranges. I love the movie for being the best representation of the book that we have been given to date; however, it can never replace the book, as Tolkien's world of words will always remain at the top, there is nothing penultimate about it.
'Share and enjoy'

Florian

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes this is surely a very weird question ;) ... For now I agree with aule and Vir, although I liked the movie more than they did :D
But still, you can't compare a 14 years long work and a film done in 3 years. :smoke:

valedhelgwath

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I find it hard to say I prefer one or the other really because you are comparing two mediums. At certain times I prefer watching films to reading, at other times I prefer reading. After the Silmarillion, I think LotR is the best book I have ever read. I also think FotR is my favourite film. Tolkien wrote incredible detail into his work and created a masterpiece of literature. Although certain individuals will disagree, I also feel PJ created a masterpiece in his own media. He may have diverged from the Tolkien story somewhat, but I still really like what I see on the screen.

Elfstone

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I find it hard to say I prefer one or the other really because you are comparing two mediums. At certain times I prefer watching films to reading, at other times I prefer reading. After the Silmarillion, I think LotR is the best book I have ever read. I also think FotR is my favourite film. Tolkien wrote incredible detail into his work and created a masterpiece of literature. Although certain individuals will disagree, I also feel PJ created a masterpiece in his own media. He may have diverged from the Tolkien story somewhat, but I still really like what I see on the screen.

Well said Val, and as usual, I couldn't agree more. The Silmarillion is my favorite book, and then LOTR. I would have to say that for me personally, those are without a doubt the best two books I’ve ever read. Funny enough, my favorite film of all-time has become the SEE DVD edition of FOTR. I also feel (my gripes and nitpicking aside) that overall; PJ has done an outstanding job of bringing LOTR to the big screen. Obviously the books are by far superior, but if nothing else PJ does deserve credit for having the guts to attempt something that was darn near impossible.

As Val mentioned, films and books are two different mediums. In order to be able to fully appreciate one or the other, one must have the ability to separate, and distinguish the working differences between the two.
:elf:

"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

lord_aragorn86

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Both the movies and the book are totally different from one another and cannot be treated as similar. Both r gr8 in their respective fields ( no comments Ross, Virumor & co.). I do enjoy both. One is a visual treatment while the other relaxes the mind.
(that is nless I start fantasising bout Middle- earth which drains my energy drastically. And how do I recharge myself? U guessed it, LOTR!!) :D
I am nobody.....and nobody is perfect.......therefore I am perfect.

Wooffy_Elendil

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Im glad that you all are giving me your opinions because I just wanted really to do survay to see which people like better. Once again Thanks!

Wooffy_elendil

Return to “General Discussion”