Middle-Earth Put Downs

JonnieA

Middle-Earth Put Downs

Post#1 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:42 pm

Does anyone else agree that Tolkien has a really good way with insults? A few examples:

"Here shall you fail of all your hopes, and here may you yet die the same death as I." - Eol to Maeglin. Wow, such bitterness! Bye bye to you too, dad!

"Nonetheless I will grant thy prayer, and thy shalt go to Eilinel, and be set free of my service." - Sauron to Gorlim. Oooooh, sarcasm!

"Die now and the darkness have thee!" - Turin to Glaurung. Gotcha!

"Fool of a Took!" - Gandalf to Pippin. Short and to the point.

crystle caves

Middle-Earth Put Downs

Post#3 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:59 pm

Thats, "You fool of a Took! Next time throw yourself down, and rid us of your stupidity!" but you get the general point. I love any renasauncish insults, and have a few of my own, but a lot cannot be posted because ther're inapropriate for a family friendly website.

elfwine

Middle-Earth Put Downs

Post#4 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:51 pm

awww, come on? what about the classic ' "And if that plea does not excuse you from war, most noble Wormtongue," he said, "what office of less honour would you accept? To carry a sack of meal up into the mountains -- if any man would trust you with it?"' (133).
-I do not know how it will all end... I fear that it will go ill for us.

~Navaer~

LadyFeawen

Middle-Earth Put Downs

Post#5 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:20 pm

Naneth dín tira be Orch ;)
Yeah, I noticed Tolkien was pretty good with insults in the books :) I often say them to my brother.
I was born to catch dragons in their dens
And pick flowers
To tell tales and laugh away the morning
To drift and dream like a lazy stream
And walk barefoot across sunshine days.

Azadhel

Middle-Earth Put Downs

Post#6 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:04 pm

The cool thing about it is that they almost don´t sound as insults at all. Also its very hard to figure a witty come back for one of those. I specially enjoy when Randalf is talking to Maruman in Isengard. The Chapter is called "The Voice of Saruman", and it´s my favourite in the whole storyline. If you guys want to re-read it, I recommend it.
And if you don´t, well, Providence will hunt you down and cast your weak excuse for a living into the cloudsome ashes whence you came. Good Day, Sir!
:angryelf:
Namärie!Quel marth mellonamin,
Merin sa haryallë alassë!
Namarië!
A.Z.

loni

Middle-Earth Put Downs

Post#7 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:33 pm

I specially enjoy where Randulf is talking to Maruman in Isengard.

Randulf? Maruman? Don't you mean Gandalf and Saruman?

Azadhel

Middle-Earth Put Downs

Post#8 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:10 pm

You think? Of course I meant Gandalf and Saruman! But Randalf sounds cool. Almost retro. Back in the days were insults were more a way of leaving rather than a way of living. Imagine Gandalf´s parents screaming to him, "Randaaalf! You bring your magical heinie hither this instant! Ere the doom of all the houses of men Slaps you deaf in the soul for having brought those birds into your chambers!"
I guess I suck at insults. Curses I can manage pretty dandy. Do you think they took the time to think of an insult before the situation arrived? Like, if I catch someone stealing my horse, I shall yell to him in an abrupt and threatening fashon. Hey, you! No that´s not quite what I want to say... You! You low life bag of... Of what? What could be really insulting? I know! Bag of horse poop. For he is stealing my horse, so he´ll understand what I mean. It starts kinda stong, but "poop" sounds not insulting enough. What then? I know! Get your filthy hands of my steed, you low life bag of Meneur! There! I got it! I´m just glad I had time to think of it in case it happens. Its hard nowadays to find the right words to insult somebody. At least I got that one covered!
Namärie!Quel marth mellonamin,

Merin sa haryallë alassë!

Namarië!

A.Z.

Vee

Middle-Earth Put Downs

Post#9 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:09 pm

Eol to Curufin after Curufin says "the sooner you depart from my land the better will it please me"

It is good, Lord Curufin to find a kinsman thus kindly at need. I will remember it when I return.

loni

Middle-Earth Put Downs

Post#10 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:33 pm

like wab

Return to “General Discussion”