tengwar charts

grondmaster

tengwar charts

Post#1 » Fri May 14, 2004 4:50 pm

Yes, I've seen those before and because they are Tolkien related I have decided not to move this thread to the Advertisements Section.
'Share and enjoy'

Peredhil

tengwar charts

Post#2 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:55 am

Doesn't seem very accurate to me.
A mind full of fire and a fistful of steel.

randalllin

tengwar charts

Post#3 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:58 am

I found this website and for all curious this site has tengwar charts and translations!
tengwar/english link

(Amarië just fixed the link)

Amarië

tengwar charts

Post#4 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:57 am

Yey!! Pere is back!!
What isn't accurate then Pere?
I saw somewhere that when you write English with Tengwar, you write the sounds not the letters.
I doesn't feel quite comfortable with two e's being the same as a long i, as the vowels in Elvish are like in Norwegian.

I printed out a quote from Quenta Silmarillion written in Tengwar (by Chris Tolkien I think). There he writes great as 'greyt' and deed like díd (long elvish i) and his like hiz. (makes sense to me)

I also found 'he' and 'deed' written letter by letter, so he wasn't quite accurate either. And even written as eeven. Shouldn't that be íven or iven?

At least the site told me how vowels look "upside down" so I can write ie in Amarië with one carrier instead of two and pretend it looks right (it sure looks better)
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Peredhil

tengwar charts

Post#5 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:32 am

What isn't accurate then Pere?
I saw somewhere that when you write English with Tengwar, you write the sounds not the letters.
The vowel sounds are different from those specified by Tolkien, and I think some of the Tengwar have been misinterpreted. And yes, you do write phonetically, instead of following the letters exactly.
Shouldn't that be íven or iven?
Íven would be preferable, I think.
Yey!! Pere is back!!
Yay! :D
A mind full of fire and a fistful of steel.

idril

tengwar charts

Post#6 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:22 am

Hello everybody!
In fact I'm german and I write in Tengwar with a pen pal for circa half a year now... I just wonder if the german Tengwar charts are different to the english ones?

Amarië

tengwar charts

Post#7 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:00 am

They are the same, just like German and English have the same alphabet. Every language can be written with tengwar. I have just started to learn, but it sure is fun and pretty looking. :)

idril

tengwar charts

Post#8 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:27 am

Yes, it is...
My whole school stuff is ful of text from LotR in Tengwar.. ;)
Yes, it is the same alphabet, but as Tengwar is based on the spelling of words it's difficult to write english texts in tengwar for me...
You already wrote tat in English great is written like greyt... in German for example ei is written like ai... ok, bad example, I know. ;)

Do you write the Vocals as different kinds of accents over the foolowing konsonants or as "normal letters" which look similar to the others?
Because a friend of mine writes Tengwar too, but her charts are different...
Greetings,
idril

Amarië

tengwar charts

Post#9 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:50 am

but as Tengwar is based on the spelling of words it's difficult to write english texts in tengwar for me...
Tell me about it! I am Norwegian, so I know exactly how you feel. It is hard enough to spell the words, not to mention saying them and even worse when you have write what you are saying when you don't know if you are saying it right! And why can't those silly Englishmen/Americans just say the vowels as they are suppose to be? Luckily Quenya vowels are equal to our vowels. ;)

I think I understood the ei-ai thing. And there is the j, like in Jacob where we would say yakop and they would say.... well it is more than enough to drive a girl crazy. :hahaha:

grondmaster

tengwar charts

Post#10 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:08 pm

And why can't those silly Englishmen/Americans just say the vowels as they are suppose to be?
Because after your ancesters settled in England and contributed Saxon to that of the Angles' language, the Normans conquered it and they brought their French language. So now there were three languages, each with their own set of phonetics and words that were amalgamated into the bastardized language called English.

This is why you can't tell by the spelling, the correct pronunciation of many of our words. Along with our many pronunciations for each vowel, our "ough" ending words are also rediculous; they can only be learned by common usage; though knowing the origin of the each word could help. (That's thow, not thuff.)

And now all we former colonists: Indians, Ozittes, Yanks, etc. have brought our own words and variations into the mess: that's why we can't be purists like you. Now if your people had just stayed home and fished instead of viking and looking for a newer digs ... :tongueelf: :elkgrin:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “General Discussion”