Frodo's Dream

Eryan

Frodo's Dream

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hello Spydyrbyte, welcome!
a good question - but how to answer it? I have absolutely no idea! I do not think that
it was the Ring because Frodo did not use it...
I will think about it! :)

Rincewind

Frodo's Dream

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hello Spydyrbyte.
I think the dreams are just a part of the mysteria in Tolkien's world. It could be the ring, though Frodo did not use it. Remember what the ring did to Boromir and he never even touched it.
As for Gandalf and Orthanc. I would say it is some underground telepathic magic that gave Frodo that dream. It is said that Gwaihir came unlooked for, but what if he also feeled something that Gandalf (unwillingly) sent out in his plight. Gandalf also said that Frodo's dream came late, so the "thought-waves" need time or Frodo was just not that sensitive for them.

grondmaster

Frodo's Dream

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hello Spydyrbyte, welcome to the forum. :)

Rincewind's ideas are better than anything I can come up with at the moment. Maybe someone else will provide something else later.
'Share and enjoy'

Allyssa

Frodo's Dream

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Greetings Spydyrbyte.

I think that Frodo's dream may have been a vision of some kind, who's source was external to his own experience. Could it have been sent by one of the Valar? or Maiar? Mandos maybe?

Remember Faramir's dream of the great wave drowning Numenor. He had obviously never seen it, but nontheless recognised it for what is was.
"May the Angels Guide"

Eryan

Frodo's Dream

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes... and remember also Faramir's and Boromir's dreams summoning them to seek help for Gondor in Imladris. Who sent them these dreams?...

grondmaster

Frodo's Dream

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think the originator of these dreams was old JRRT using literary license to get a point across. :D

"The Lord works in mysterious ways," applies here just as well. We can assume that the dream source is the same hidden puppet master(s) that allowed Bilbo to find the Ring in that black cavern under the Misty Mountains. Yes, the Ring was looking for a new victim to master; however, it wasn't the Ring that facilitated Bilbo's being there at the right time. Gandalf knows the answer, but he remains tight-lipped about the subject. ;)
'Share and enjoy'

swampfaye

Frodo's Dream

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

it was fate... but call it JRR if it pleases you ;)

TomBombadillo

Frodo's Dream

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Uhuh. Me guessing it was just another of old JRR's tricks. Not unlooked-for, but inexplicable! :)
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Halo_Black

Frodo's Dream

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think that Frodo's dream may have been a vision of some kind, who's source was external to his own experience. Could it have been sent by one of the Valar? or Maiar? Mandos maybe?
Remember Faramir's dream of the great wave drowning Numenor. He had obviously never seen it, but nontheless recognised it for what is was.

I agree. Maybe it was a kind of premonition.

TomBombadillo

Frodo's Dream

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I still stick to JRR... :grin:
No, it might have been a vision in his dream, why not? And Gandalf and he have always been close friends, so there could have been sth telepatic between them.
I believe in Tolkien! :hahaha:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Return to “General Discussion”