what do you think?

elrohir

what do you think?

Post#1 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:11 am

what do you think-did TOLKIEN really write LOTR an The hobbit or did he find The red book?

Stonehelm

what do you think?

Post#2 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:01 am

It's a nice thought, but I'm fairly sure that the man himself wrote the Lord of the Rings. ;)
I will never raise the white flag.

grondmaster

what do you think?

Post#3 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:48 pm

Yes, without a hundred (more or less) generations of monk-scribes to recopy the Red Book of Westmarch, its pages would have crumbled into dust and we know that the fan-base didn't stretch that far back into the mouldy recess of time for that to have happened. Therefore, J.R.R. Tolkien thought the story up all on his own.

That is not to say that the ghost of Bilbo Bagins hadn't been leaning over the professor's shoulder, posing certain leading questions to draw out those particular events from Tolkien's imagination, which he later fleshed out on paper for our enjoyment. :teacher:
'Share and enjoy'

Vee

what do you think?

Post#4 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:02 am

I like to think he did find the Red Book and all his books are real history. Somewhere in the woods of Berkshire there are still elves....

elrohir

what do you think?

Post#5 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:06 am

I agree!Even hobbits are hidding somewhere...

beren

what do you think?

Post#6 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:50 am

Some days ago i almost hit an elephaunt in his tail, luckely for me (and my car) i managed to make a sharp corner around the beast...

You almost never see them. And if you do, really they always stand in the way!

Vee

what do you think?

Post#7 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:17 am

Even hobbits are hidding somewhere

Yeah - I married one once...... no hang on he was an orc....

randalllin

what do you think?

Post#8 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:04 am

I used to believe that hobbits are here I still do.
my friend said when he was in his carriage in houston texas he saw a hobbit with his hairy feet pop out of the ground.

elrohir

what do you think?

Post#9 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:50 pm

I would really like to meet one...It would be unforgettable!!! :superwow:

grondmaster

what do you think?

Post#10 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:51 pm

Oh, and another thing: If Tolkien didn't make-up the storys in his books, but copied them from the Red Book of Westmarch, then what did he do in those huge blocks of time when he said he was working on his book? Did he have a secret second job as a landscape architect? :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “General Discussion”