Gothmog

gablo

Gothmog

Post#1 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:18 pm

In the movie Return of the King theres a General Orc dude who go's by the name of Gothmog. But, is that not the name of the Balrog in the Silmarillion who helps destroy Gondolin.

virumor

Gothmog

Post#2 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:12 pm

There are two Gothmogs in the books : one appears in the Silmarillion and is the Lord of the Balrogs who killed Fingon; the other appears in ROTK and is a luitenant of Minas Morgul :

He now was destroyed; but Gothmog the lieutenant of Morgul had flung them into the fray;

I am pretty sure the orc commander with the molten face in ROTK movie was not explicitly named Gothmog, though. But i can be wrong.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

gablo

Gothmog

Post#3 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:17 pm

They call him gothmog on the dvd extras. Thanks for the info

bugyfeanor

Gothmog

Post#4 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:16 pm

Actually, Tolkien never said what this Gothmog, lieutenant of Barad-dur, was in fact. He wasn't a Nazgul, yet he could've been a Orc, an Uruk or even a Man (like the Mouth of Sauron).
Evil may yet be good to have been ... and yet remain evil. (Silmarillion)

grondmaster

Gothmog

Post#5 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:50 pm

I agree with Bugyfeanor and in addition I think PJ did a good job with his rendition, by making his Gothmog someone who would visually standout from the rest of the Orcs and Uruks, ugly, but not too scary, and sort of albino-like, and one tough dude. I loved the way he stood his ground in the face of that incoming building cornice: that took either no brains or lots of intestinal fortitude and it surly made believers out of his troops that he was meaner than they were.

This is another thread that shoud be moved under characters when we are able to move threads.
'Share and enjoy'

loni

Gothmog

Post#6 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:27 pm

They call him gothmog on the dvd extras.

And on the TCG.

Lord Of All

Gothmog

Post#7 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:23 pm

You will find that the mouth of sauron was one of the black numenoreans.

leelee

Gothmog

Post#8 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:19 pm

Gothmog was truly chilling to me. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that he was an orc and in Peter's rendition of him I thought to m yself he must have been horribly tortured to look like that. He seemed to take more than the usual delight in the torment and murder of Men and elves. He just electrified the scenes he was in, well the actor did. He was stupendous.
By the way the actor, was he not two other characters as well? I thought he was the orc I despised the most, the one who killed dear Boromir, and then someone else? I really cannot recall.

Meneldur Elentirmo

Gothmog

Post#9 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:38 pm

I just checked on IMDB.com -- the actor is Lawrence Makoare:

Fellowship of the Ring: Lurtz (the Uruk-Hai leader that Saruman spoke to: "Now... perfected. My fighting Uruk-Hai. Whom do you serve?")
Return of the King: Witchking, and Gothmog

So yes he was two other chars besides Gothmog. And yes Lurtz was the one who killed Boromir (see biography).
Excellent memory Leelee!! :elf:

leelee

Gothmog

Post#10 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:11 pm

Oh thankyou so much Meneldur, you saved me the research and it was truly bothering me. I actually saw this actor, he is aboriginal and I think h e has a very large number of children. When out of costume he was awe inspiring. Truly fantastic looking and so very gentle and soft spoken. You could hardly reconcile the fact after seeing him that he could be those characters.
Again thankyou for your trouble. :)

Return to “General Discussion”