Colors of races

arwen undomiel

Colors of races

Post#1 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:39 pm

This may be a bit airy but, being an artist, I was wondering about what colors you would say represents the races of Tolkien's world. Here's one. (add on for other races or diffferent colors if you wish.)

Elves: green for the intellect and love of nature

Arwen :happyelf:

virumor

Colors of races

Post#2 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:22 pm

Ainur : white for their angelic nature.

Men : grey because only Eru really knows what's going on with them.

Dwarves : brown because they were made out of earth.

Ents : green because of what they wear on their head : leaves.

Dragons : red because of the thing they use to start barbecues.

Eagles : blue = the colour of the sky.

Orcs : black because they don't really like the light.

Elves : pink because they like dancing, singing, poems and what not so much.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

eva lilith

Colors of races

Post#3 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:00 am

Pink!?
I would say elves are either a leaf green or a deep aqua (green for nature, aqua for sorrow) and ents are a mossier green. Dwarves are brown, orcs, goblins and such are black, eagles are gold... I'll give you the rest of the races when I have some time to think harder...

shaya puma

Colors of races

Post#4 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:32 am

Something I've noted before that I've gotten from Tolkien is an appreciation for the color grey. We don't think much of it now with the availability of an amazing array of pigments available, even when limited to just permanent artist colors, but he often articulates an appreciation of gray in the bark of the mallorn, the luminous mists of the sea, grey eyes (ones we are more likely to call blue) the grey-clad elves of Lorien. I don't think I would so much have noticed what a luminous silver is simple weathered wood but for Tolkien pulling my awareness of it up to consciousness. Likewise the bark of young maples and of beeches. I see the mallorns like beeches.

Anyway, I'm an artist, too, and I like the question.

Grey and Green are used by Tolkien for two groups of elves who remained in Middle Earth and never went to Aman before the end. Ignoring that, I feel grey is the color for the high elves that did go to Aman and for the Noldor with their gray eyes who came back.

Green for the elves who always stayed here.

Gold for the Dwarves. They were, after all, a race of artists in metal, more completely artistic than any other race.

Black is too pure for the Orcs. Brown is too colorful sounding, but there is a sort of brown that is their color, the color that things decay into. 'Dun' is a better word for it, though little used now. I don't know but that it is related to 'dung.' Anyway, it's that color the leaves are on the ground after the snow melts in the spring. (maybe like raw umber) Orcs are rotted through their long torment: God's mercy on them.

Eagles blue, yeah. I think of blue for the Teleri, too.

Humans? The scary and hopeful thing is that humans are capable of being anything. I don't think they can be assigned a single color as if they had a single way of being.

Maybe that's not airy enough. I can go a little too heavy at times.

Vee

Colors of races

Post#5 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:44 am

Hobbits are beige. No one noticed them for a long, long time.

virumor

Colors of races

Post#6 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:35 am

Pink!?

Pink makes perfectly sense. It's the Tyler connection : Liv Tyler was supposed to play Arwen, an Elf; Liv is Stephen's Tyler's daughter, who's the frontman of the band Aerosmith, who have "Pink" as a big hit.

:-P
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

arwen undomiel

Colors of races

Post#7 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:03 pm

Nice to know there's a fellow artist here. :cool:

:wavehello:

eva lilith

Colors of races

Post#8 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:11 am

Ok, I'm back.
Hobbits are beige. No one noticed them for a long, long time.

Yeah... so, Hobbits first... I would say a golden yellow, like the color of dandelions or corn, because they are carefree and like bright colors. I think dragons maybe kind of have their own colors for each, like the wizards, and I agree with Shaya puma that Men can't be assigned one color. Heck, even the Valar don't know everything that will happen to Men, especially what happens after they die.

shaya puma

Colors of races

Post#9 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:18 pm

I forgot about Hobbits. Yes, a golden yellow. I don't know why, but I always associate yellow with Hobbits. I think Tolkien mentions somewhere that they like yellow and green. T himself liked bright vests.

Backatcha artist greeting. :wavehello: Niggle lives.

bugyfeanor

Colors of races

Post#10 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:27 am

Hmmm... let's see...

I can't think of a general color for the Ainur; they were spirits and it's hard to represent them. The Valar and the Maiar, taken separately, are a different thing, though. But let's stick with the races, for now...

The Elves... Well, we could have white for the Vanyar, anyone of the fire colors - yellow, golden, red - for the Noldor, sea-blue for the Teleri who left Middle-earth and grey for those left behind (with the mention that the Nandor are green), all shades of dark for the Avari (but not black).

The Dwarves - either brown (for the earth) or grey (for the stone).

The Hobbits - any warm, earthly shades.

The Dragons - snake-green, bright red and yellow.

The Eagles - blue, green and brown.

The Trolls - stone grey.

The Orcs - indeed, any shades of rotten. Some could be quite black...

The Ents - green (for the leaves) and brown (for the earth).

The Men... This is really difficult... I think the Houses of the Edain could be represented by: grey, brown and black (Beor); white, golden yellow and blue (Hador); brown, green and black (Haleth). Their descendants, the Numenoreans, by sea-blue, black, golden yellow; the Elendili by white, black and grey. The Rohirrim by white, green and golden yellow. The Easterlings by pale shades of yellow; the Haradrim by red and black.

This is how I see it, anyway... *shrugs* Anyway, it's a nice topic; I'm glad you brought it up, Arwen! :)

Namarie!
Evil may yet be good to have been ... and yet remain evil. (Silmarillion)

Return to “General Discussion”