Modern Middle Earth

caudimordax

Modern Middle Earth

Post#1 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:38 pm

I hope this is a unique thread...I couldn't find one similiar.

This thread is to discuss what middle earth would be like with modern technology.
I am no historian but I would date ME (technologically) around the 16th century. Although Morgoth's and Sauron's technology was pretty advanced. But what if the people of ME started the industial revolution for machinery that was not purposed for domination, but just for advancement.

Could the people of ME eventually work up to automobiles, computers, and space stations.

( I apologize if a member of the council decides to move this thread.)

Morambar

Modern Middle Earth

Post#2 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:42 pm

They could've, sure, but it would've still been a Fourth Age (or later) phenomenon. The environmental consequences would have never been accepted by the Eldar or the Ents. It might've been possible to a very limited degree if it was restricted to the point these consequences were limited and temporary or virtually eliminated. One way or the other, the Eldar wouldn't live in a world with smog or the greenhouse effect. Just my two cents.

miruvor

Modern Middle Earth

Post#3 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:32 am

Actually Middle-Earth was the earth we live in now, but just in a very early history before the shape of the world was changed (it seems to be the opposite of Brooks's Sword of Shannara were the world began as highly technological until a nuclear war broke out and the world and its ppls were destroyed and ultimately gave birth to the 'fantasy' world), hence we 'live' in a modern Middle-Earth.

Morambar

Modern Middle Earth

Post#4 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:00 am

I assumed we were accepting that as given and treating with Middle-Earth as an Yrrth type scenario, because I assumed we were talking about it in terms of still having a large population of demi-humans. Though I guess my response really amounts to "yes, but it would go the exact same way unless the Elves still left."

lembas.bread

Modern Middle Earth

Post#5 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 pm

Well if we cannot use technology for weapons and only in our advancements I suppose I would be saudering with ballistic missles.

valedhelgwath

Modern Middle Earth

Post#6 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:58 am

It may be foresight of this advancement that encouraged the elves to leave Middle Earth at the end of the Third Age. They called the Fourth Age the Age of Man.... they maybe had foresight of what Man would do with their world.

Advances in technology occur at an exponential rate. What Saruman began with his machines of war would eventually develop at an ever quickening pace to nuclear warheads if left unchecked. Tolkien allowed the good guys to stall this advancement for a while, leaving the lands in the hands of a good and wise king, but what he had already shown with the demise of Numenor during the Second Age, was that even the most noble dynasties fall into decay over the generations.

He began writing another novel set in the Fourth Age but quickly abandoned the project because it lacked the "magic" of the earlier ages. Even Tolkien seemed to know his world was on the same tracks as our own. He chose to stop while the grass was still green.

jimmy

Modern Middle Earth

Post#7 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:06 am

in my mind the fourth age would be great :D

bugyfeanor

Modern Middle Earth

Post#8 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:52 am

I dunno... I like technology, but sometimes I wonder if it doesn't take a part of our humanity...

Anyway, Tolkien's Middle-earth with modern technology? That would be a strange sight. Oh, and since technology (whether "good" or "bad") is just a shortcut to our purposes, it could easily be defined as magic by Tolkien. And he said there was only one kind of magic - Sauron's kind.
Evil may yet be good to have been ... and yet remain evil. (Silmarillion)

miruvor

Modern Middle Earth

Post#9 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:23 am

I dunno... I like technology, but sometimes I wonder if it doesn't take a part of our humanity...

Well, lucky then that our humanity is going to be saved by the Butlerian Jihad 10,000 years from now...

elanorraine

Modern Middle Earth

Post#10 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:40 am

What about dwarf technology, and gandalf's pyrotechnics?

While it's true that Saruman's machines are much maligned and used for evil, etc., it seems that technological advances might prosper in an ME of Legolas-Gimli type relationships. Tech can be used for making things as well as for destroying them.....

After all, what is the industrial revolution but a new set of tools? and machines and manual tools certainly were put to use in Elvish, Hobbit, Human, and Dwarvish realms. In fact, if there WERE a way to have the knowledge and technowledge increase as it did in the Ind.Rev. but WITHOUT the environmental messes, I'm sure the Elves would be leading the way. And the dwarves wouldn't be far behind. And Wizards.... well, it's just a different kind of magic, isn't it? Ents and Hobbits would lag behind humans, I'm sure.... and of course Eagles would probably not have lots of use for it at all, and Bombadils.... well, they're just an anomaly ;)

Return to “General Discussion”