Help needed: LOTR and Marksizm

grondmaster

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to the forum Syed5001. :)

I don't know of anything to compare but am sure some of our philosophically inclined members will have some ideas for you.
'Share and enjoy'

Allyssa

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Could you give us some more information on your project syed5001? You're not refering to Marxism are you?:shocked

Welcome, buy the way. Please do come back, even after you have finished your project.:D
"May the Angels Guide"

syed5001

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi,

Thanks for the greetings. Im Syed, and Im not doing anything on Lord of the Rings, it is my sister who is doing her essays on marxism within Lord of the Rings. Ive given her my login details ands he will be on this forum tomorrow hopefully, I have just started the post in advance for her. I dont really know much about LOTR, ive watched the first film and am about half way through the Two Towers. My sister has read all the books, and others by Tolkien, but as you can probably tell the marxism angle in LOTR is not an easy task.

So yes, my question refers to Marxism within Tolkiens' Lord of the Rings books :D. My sister said something about there being a clear distinction between the East and the West, I dont know about this, but supposedly its to do with Marxism. She also says something about there being hierarchies within the books, again to do with Marxism.

Thanks for any help needed, and my sister should be on this forum soon.

Peace

PlasticSquirrel

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

As a fervent and dedicated Marxist, I have never seen anything to do with it in LOTR, maybe I should have looked closer...
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

TomBombadillo

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I can't see what LOTR has to do with Marxism either... :cool:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Eryan

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

There are many parallels between the situation in Shire under the rule of Saruman and the real life situation which could be found after the 2nd world war in European countries ruled by Marxists.

PlasticSquirrel

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Not technically Marxism though was it? Was Stalinism etc. that did for the idealistic utopianism of Marx's ideologies. Those Communist regimes had nothing whatsoever to do with what Marx and Engels were trying to bring about.

rednell

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Technically not Marism, Plastic Squirrel. Marx neglected the human factor in his theory which is what corrupted Marxism into communism. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, I don't care what one's ideals are ,humans tend to be self serving. I agree that the "Scouring of the Shire" is the place to start for this assignment.
Rednell :smoke

PlasticSquirrel

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, human nature really does suck don't it rednell?
Power to the people.

TomBombadillo

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But if there are any links, it was not, I repeat *not* Tolkien's intention. :wink: Just wanted to say that on behalf of the late JRR. :Dnn[Edited on 20/4/2002 by TomBombadillo]
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Return to “General Discussion”