ABurning Question Need Answer

zim

Post#1 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:51 pm

Hello, I have read the books and seen the movies and have come up with a very interesting question... I dont recall any passage anywhere in the writings of Tolkien that gives any explanation...

We all know that the great Eagles played important roles at key moments throughout middle earth history. We also know that the Great Eagles were friendly with Gandalf and Elves also that they definetly had a stake in the outcome of the events of the war of the ring.

So my question is this.....

Other than for the sake of making a story of a long and perilous journey...

Why didnt Gandalf just get the great eagles to fly the Frodo to Mordor and just drop the ring in????

it probably would've taken about 12 hours if they left early enough they coulve been back for dinner....

can somone please help with an answer

thanks!!!

Vee

Post#2 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:15 pm

For a start the war in ME was between Sauron and Men. The elves had enough and were leaving and it was left to Men (in the broad sense) to fight for ME. So the Eagles were not involved directly in the war.

Also, Gandalf was sent to aid but not to interfere. If he had asked the Eagles to accomplish what the Men/Hobbits were supposed to then Men would not have earned the right to rule ME.

Gandalf, I think, would have been loathe to ask that of the Egales. Gwaihir had said he was sent to bear tidings, not a burden and all this stuff going on between the little people down below on the ground was probably a bit beneath him.

It seems the only beings able to withstand the power of the Ring (apart from Faramir, and he never touched it anyway) were Hobbits. What if Gwaihir had taken the Ring? Would it have corrupted him in the same way it corrupted Boromir. Even Saruman, a Maia, gave in to greed for power. Would the Eagles have remained untouched? I doubt it.

Sauron would have been watching for something like that. Far too blatant a way of getting to Mordor. He didn't notice the Hobbits scurrying along but he might notice one of the Eagles.

And of course, it wouldn't be such a great story....

miruvor

Post#3 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:02 pm

Defeating Sauron was up to the free peoples of Middle-earth alone, as a test of the Valar.

The Istari (who were Maiar and hence servants of the Valar) who were sent to Middle-earth by the Valar, were only allowed to guide them; they were not allowed to interfere directly.

The Eagles were Maiar too; they were the servants of Manwë himself, hence they too were not allowed to do something as direct as flying the One Ring to Mt Doom. That's why they didn't do it.

One might as well ask : why didn't Tulkas come to Middle-earth and wipe out Sauron and all evil single-handedly? The answer is : because it was simply up to Men, Elves and Dwarves to do so.

zim

Post#4 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:22 pm

cool thanks!

Vee

Post#5 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:01 pm

It's really weird when Mir and I agree on something - I expect the universe to implode....

elrose

Post#6 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:35 pm

which leads Zim to his next question, wouldnt it be better if the uviverse imploded? besides making a good long story end to easy...

Vee

Post#7 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:34 am

Theoretically, it already is.

eruwen

Post#8 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:22 am

Also, it wouldn't have been as easy as flying up and dropping the Ring in Mt. Doom. The Eagles flew over Mt. Doom after Sauron and the Nazgul were destroyed. I'm sure if the Eagles tried to approach Mt. Doom before the Ring was destroyed, Sauron and the Nazgul wouldn't simply allow them to glide in and fly around Mordor. Sauron was watching for something more obvious than a little Hobbit sneaking into Mordor with the Ring. The Eagles would have been fairly obvious. (Of course, I agree with everything else that was said as well -- the Maiar, the Eagles taking it for themselves, etc.)

grondmaster

Post#9 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:41 pm

The Eagles wouldn't have been afraid of the flying Nazguls, but they don't care for the smell of singed feathers; nor do I.
'Share and enjoy'

elanorraine

Post#10 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:03 am

It always seemed to me that the eagles appear when all hope seems lost. Thinking about it, they don't really take part in the affairs of the world beneath them, with two exceptions:

1)They like fighting against orcs, and other dark creatures of Morgoth and Sauron, & so they seem to show up when they get wind of a chance to fight 'em

2)They are willing to help out Gandalf when he's at a loss, wherever and whenever they happen to meet him. Are they under orders from Manwe to help the Istari? Do they do it out of brotherly love? Do they just happen to like Gandalf? Does Illuvitar have a hand in setting them as sentries over ME, to lend help when the Enemy's servants march openly, to watch over Istari -- (if the Istari were sent as stewards of a certain kind, to watch over ME and fight evil, who watches over them? Do the Eagles have, in part, the job of not only reporting to Manwe but also the job of helping when all other help is exhausted?)

Return to “General Discussion”