Most Impressive Poll

cloveress

Most Impressive Poll

Post#1 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:35 am

i'm just starting a thread where all of us can talk about our thoughts on this new poll.

Most Impressive??
Fingolfin's Duel
The Ring's Destruction
Feanor's Speech
The Music of the Ainur
Killing The Witchking
Gandalf Resurructed
Turin Killing Glaurung

I myself picked the Music of the Ainur. When you talk about being impressive, there is really no competition about this on the poll ( my bad again!). The Music of the Ainur cannot be compared to the other deeds of Eldar and Men because no matter what the Children do, how can anything of theirs surpass the greatness of a whole world being called to life? Of course, many of their deeds had major impacts on this world, but compared to the music, which affected every grain of sand and every blade of grass, they are rather insignificant. So I do think this poll (composed by mself, unless I'm mistaken), has some flaws in it.

But on the other hand, I know it might not be fair to measure a thing's impressiveness by the effect of it. Some of us might view impressiveness to be a matter more to do with the circumstances that the choice was made under and the motivation for the choice rather than the result of the choice. For example, Frodo made a choice to carry the burden of the Ring in such dangerous circumstances, knowing that Middle-Earth's fate rested on his shoulders. Some might think this to be more impressive than the Music of the Ainur, as it required an extraordinary amount of strength and determination, as well as sacrifice.

Alas, I've already voted. Oh well, just have to wait another day, I guess... But tell me about all your votes.

virumor

Most Impressive Poll

Post#2 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:54 am

The Music of the Ainur cannot be compared to the other deeds of Eldar and Men because no matter what the Children do, how can anything of theirs surpass the greatness of a whole world being called to life?

The Music didn't call a world to life, it merely generated a vision of what should be, not what is. The Valar still had to achieve it after grunting it before Eru. That's why I don't think much of it.

I voted for Fingolfin's duel, merely because I couldn't vote for the other choices : Frodo did not destroy the Ring, for he failed in the end, and it was luck/fate that did it; Fëanor's speech was merely the wallowing of a raving madman, à la Goebbels; killing the Witchking was pathetic, just putting a sword under a crown after Merry had done all the work; Túrin just sneaked under Glaurung to kill the beast : very heroic; and there's nothing special about Gandalf's resurrection : a naked guy on top of a snowy mountain. Sheesh.

Of course, Fingolfin's duel was quite ridiculous too; you might as well try to kill a blue whale with a needle, but at least the lad did it with bravura.

No, Beren & Lúthien entering Angband should've been included in the poll.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

mungo

Most Impressive Poll

Post#3 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:56 am

"Frodo did not destroy the Ring, for he failed in the end, and it was luck/fate that did it"

Okay, if Frodo's "dropping the ring into the fire of doom" was the thing that would make the destruction impressive I would agree with you, but it isn't. The impressive part was the struggle and impossibility of Frodo's task from the beginning, not just for him but for everyone even remotely involved.

Whole nations banded together to aid the little hobbits in completing their impossible task. Individuals and friends were willing to sacrifice their lives and put themselves into harms way to give a slim invisible chance to the two stalwart hobbits. The impressive part is that so many were willing to do so much, and that each and every sacrifice was necessary to open up that distant star of hope in the pitch black sky of Saurons future. It is darn impressive that the ring WAS destroyed. Darn impressive I tells ye.

virumor

Most Impressive Poll

Post#4 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:21 am

*yawns* Sure it was.

I find it extremely pathetic that everyone did so much work and tried so much, only for Frito to falter in the end. That had to be the biggest anticlimax since someone told Morgoth that instead of the Silmarils, he mistakingly took three lightbulbs from Formenos.

Vee

Most Impressive Poll

Post#5 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:27 am

Wow, Vir. You know how to kill a party dead.

There is more to the Ring's destruction than just Frodo/Gollum. There is more to killing the Witchking than Eowyn thrusting a sword. There is more to Gandalf's resurrection than his reappearance.... and so on.

When I read the poll choices I decided on the one that impressed me most, and still does, when I read it. It is Tolkien's descriptions rather than the deed which impresses. So I went for Music of the Ainur. Pretty impressive concert by all accounts. Don't dismiss it as just a vision. It was more than that. Their music helped formed what was to become Ea. Ok, so they had to work at it but it was formed according to what each had sung. Tolkien refers to 'their part in ordering and carrying out the Primeval design.' If music was able to produce all that then it must have been impressive. What would it have been like to be there and listen to it? To see the Ainur in all their splendour? How could one live after that knowing that nothing would ever surpass it? It's just Wow! and I'm sorry Vir doesn't feel the majesty and sorry that he reduces it to 'grunting'.

virumor

Most Impressive Poll

Post#6 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:10 pm

Don't get me wrong, I do not mind grunting. Otherwise I'd never seen Cannibal Corpse live a few years ago.

And seeing the Ainur in full splendour while they were singing/grunting, would not be possible. They're invisible spirits in their natural form.

gandalf-olorin

Most Impressive Poll

Post#7 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:41 pm

Vir, if you imagine the song of the Ainur to be grunting, you maybe should try listening to a different genre of music altogether. Whatever has shaped your idea of "song" has got to go!

But I voted for the Ring's destruction. It is the most impressive as far as the pains which Tolkien had taken to building it up and showing its aftermath. And remember, the whole of LOTR was on a much more personal level than the Sil, so I think it makes a greater appeal.

Morambar

Most Impressive Poll

Post#8 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:58 pm

I agree with Cloveress. And not just to suck up and earn a make out session. ;-p You can't compare aspects of the Music with the whole, else I'd go with Finglofins duel. I think. Beren and Luthien aren't half bad either. If you dodge that in the way I usually do by saying, "well, but that's no a single act" I go with the Music followed by the duel.

cloveress

Most Impressive Poll

Post#9 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:52 am

Fingolfin's duel is indeed very very impressive. But yet, after reading again the chapter on the Music, I've decided that the Music is still much more splendid. I agree with Vee about the descriptions. They are simply amazing.

Oh Vir... you do disappoint us all so much... I admit that Feanor's speech might've been quite unimpressive, and that they are the ravings of a madman (it is only regarded as the option for other raving lunatics, as we no doubt have on our happy little planet), but how could you just dismiss everything else (and such significant things too!)?

And don't make me sound so seductive, Mor, I'm actually quite sweet. :)

Etharion

Most Impressive Poll

Post#10 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:17 am

Morambar...Cloveress...common, get a room! (id put a smiley here, but my keyboard has gone bonkers and i cant find half the signs)

I dont think THE Music should be in this poll. Its like asking `Whats more immpresive, God creating Earth or....the Alamo?`, you just cant compare it. That`s why i chose the second best thing - the duel of Morgoth and Fingolfin.

Return to “General Discussion”