Let's Pick Apart the Quickpoll

Morambar

Post#1 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:11 am

Again. (Ran out of room.) Personally, I think this one's a no brainer; I might could take an Uruk, and the worst the other can do is kill you. All save one. My question though is how does Shelob make the list but Ungoliant doesn't? Movie bias? In fact, ALL the choices are from the Trilogy, and I'd rather face all of them (save one) than, say, Ancalagon or Glaurung. Or Carcaroth.

cloveress

Post#2 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:54 am

I voted for the watcher in the Water. Well, I suppose I had a bit of the movie influence when I voted, but when it comes to horror scenes it's the movies that make the best impression on me. And maybe another reason I didn't think of the books was because there was no creature from the Sil. in the poll.

But to Mor I'd say Ungoliant is actually less scary than Shelob. All you have to do is feed the greedy thing and run, whereas Shelob is sort of disinclined to negotiate, isn't she?

virumor

Post#3 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:10 am

I voted Shelob. I hate spiders, ever since watching Arachnophobia.

Still, it's gotta be a very large bed for Shelob or the Watcher to fit under it.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Morambar

Post#4 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:16 am

This is so, Vir. I did have some second thoughts about the Watcher, but at the end of the day I still come back to "the worst it can do is kill me." Stealing my will and my soul, but leaving me alive and conscious, seems far worse to me. To each his own, I suppose. As to Shelob being worse than Ungoliant though, well, sure, you can feed Ungoliant, but how does that end? You make her increasingly powerful until you run out of stuff to feed her, which doesn't leave her in the best of moods.

On a completely unrelated topic, last I checked the OTHER poll we had an 11 vote lead. Go us! ;)

virumor

Post#5 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:21 am

Well Ungoliant was huge in the end. Real huge. Heck, it took an armada of Balrogs to chase her off.

It's even more funny to imagine her under your bed.

Nazgûl are pretty harmless, provided you do not fear them. Of course, they can still do some swordfighting and what not, but just fill a bucket of water and you should be able to chase them off.

cloveress

Post#6 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:27 pm

And I don't see why anyone should fear Smeagol if you don't have the Ring in your possession. But Ugluk might be creepy. He could tear you apart bite by bite....eeeeek!

I still go with the Watcher though. Think of those tentacles winding around your neck as you sleep and silently bringing your body closer to its dark wet mouth. And oh yes, don't forget the slime it'll bring as it slithers across you (this is imagination... but it could happen)

As for Ungoliant, she can get bigger, sure. But she'll probably get so fat her legs won't be able to support her. And of course, she's easily distracted by food, so you can get away if you're quick. Shelob's webs are just too freaky. Imagine her weaving webs all over your room so that you're trapped as soon as you wake up.

Morambar

Post#7 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:18 am

Meh. Anything Shelob can do, Ungoliant can do better; Ungoliant can do anything better than Shelob. Rhythm of that is all shot; stupid Tolkien! ;-p

And I think those Wraith blades can turn you whether you're scared or not. Not to mention the level drain. ;-p

Besides, a Nazgul COULD hide under your bed; at least with Shelob and the Watcher you get some warning.

cloveress

Post#8 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:27 am

Well, at least I would be able to kill a Nazgul, since "I am no man."

virumor

Post#9 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:09 am

You misunderstood the prophecy, just like the Witch-King did. The prophecy said a man would not kill him, which is not equal to a man could not kill him.

It should've been something like this :

WK : "Foolish little child. Don't you know a man cannot kill me?"
Éowyn : "Mwahahahaha! But no man am I!"
WK : "You are not?! Why, what a surprise. So long, then, for I cannot risk losing"
*WK flees*
Éowyn : "Wait!! I'm supposed to find honor & glory here!!"
*Éowyn chases WK*
Merry : "Wait!! I'm supposed to do something remotely important on this quest too!"
*Merry chases Éowyn*
Théoden : "Hello?! Hello, anyone??! I am dying here, for crying out loud!"
*cough* *cough* *cough* *BLAP*

valedhelgwath

Post#10 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:09 pm

I'm not too fussed about spiders or giant squids, so it was the Nazgul for me.

Return to “General Discussion”