The Battle Poll

valedhelgwath

The Battle Poll

Post#1 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:04 am

Doesn't seem to be a thread about this week's poll yet. If there is, someone let me know and I will close this one.

What an awesome choice.... It is difficult to tease one out from the others. I'd really like to see them all, and as I read through the list I spent a minute on each one trying to visualise it.

I came to a couple of conclusions. Thanks to the miracle of cinemamatics and the efferts of Mr PJ, I have already been able to go part of the way there with some of the ones on the list (don't bite me too hard, Vir :))

What I want in life is new experiences. I've partially seen Gandalf vs The Balrog , Siege at Minas Tirith, Helm's Deep (including bonus Elves), Elendil/Gil-Galad vs Sauron, and Gollum vs Frodo.
I want something I haven't seen. The Battle of Five Armies has always been a soft spot for me and stood out for a while; Fingolfin vs Morgoth is my favourite one on one; Tulkas vs Morgoth would probably be a bit like two Sumo's wrestling on a scale model of the earth with some magic thrown in for good measure; Glorfindel vs the Balrog, not much of a fight as Glorfindel flung himself off the cliff taking the Balrog with him.

My choice in the end had to be the Dagor Bragollach for its pure scale. It and the battle of Nirnaeth Arnoediad (actually my personal favourite but not on the list) were probably the largest battles that took place in Middle Earth that did not have the intervention of the Valar.

Etharion

The Battle Poll

Post#2 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:42 am

I choose the Dagor Bragollach as well. After reading so much about it i really would like to have seen it. From a very large distance!! :) Preferably from the back of some giant eagle.

virumor

The Battle Poll

Post#3 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:18 am

There's already a "Which of these fights" thread, guys.

Thanks to the miracle of cinemamatics and the efferts of Mr PJ, I have already been able to go part of the way there with some of the ones on the list

Are you saying those had anything to do with the battles in the book? Gee, maybe I should watch them again then. Not.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Morambar

The Battle Poll

Post#4 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

There's actually TWO threads, sorta, 'cos I kinda threadjacked the one Grep started on the disappearing menus into the Battle of the Eleven Battles. I also chose the Dagor Bragollach (repeatedly) for the reasons Val stated, and as I said in the other thread, I find it curious Gandalf vs. the Balrog is currently first despite all our efforts and the fact Glorfindel vs. the Balrog (which clearly presaged it; I sometimes think that encounter and the Battle of the Pelennor exist primarily because Tolkien knew he couldn't give the Fall of Gondolin and the second Balrog encounter the time it deserved.) IIRC, the Balrog was beaten by Glorfindel, too though, but grabbed his pretty, pretty Elven hair as he went over the edge. So, how is it Gandalf vs. the Balrog is in the lead, despite no one in ANY of the (now THREE) threads has stuck up for it?

Amarië

The Battle Poll

Post#5 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:21 am

I don't want to see hundreds of people and creatures getting killed, so it had to be one of the duels. I am very fond of Gandalf and would love to see him, even if it was only from a distanse, so I chose him and the balrog.
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

virumor

The Battle Poll

Post#6 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:43 pm

So, how is it Gandalf vs. the Balrog is in the lead, despite no one in ANY of the (now THREE) threads has stuck up for it?

Answer : because Gandalf vs the Balrog (or whatever it was supposed to be) were in the movies. Figures, doesn't it?

Considering the movie influences, it was kinda a surprise that Beren & Lúthien won the lovelies couple poll over Arwen & Aragorn, the watered down version of B & L.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

gandalf-olorin

The Battle Poll

Post#7 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:13 pm

I almost didn't post on this thread. My choice is a foregone conclusion--don't you think? But to put things in context: I was impressed with the epic scene of Gandalf v. Balrog when I was yet in junior high. I have read the other duels and wars, as I bought the Silmarillion when it first came out--heh, I was on the waiting list for it! The language Tolkien uses to present the tales of the First Age is just so lofty, that, for me, it kept the story and the characters from being as endearing as the story and characters in LOTR. So that's probably why, given the choices we have here for battles to see "safely," I still choose Gandalf's stand on the Bridge. For me, Vir, the movie did alright with this scene, but it isn't the reason for my choice. I "lived" through that episode for many years before PJ came along and put it on film.

grondmaster

The Battle Poll

Post#8 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:12 pm

I finally chose 'Fingofin vs Morgoth' as I like the poem and I've seen the battle of Gandalf vs the Balrog so many times, in both my mind's eye and on film, that there is nothing I have missed. I assume Glorfindal and the Balrog would have been similar. I don't consider battlefield melee between armies as spectator sport: too much carnage (read guts and blood) for my stomach to handle and the battle might not go in the way I wanted causing me to be swept up in it.

Consider what happened in the U.S Civil War at the end of the 'First Battle of Bull Run' (First Manassus), which the Union troops lost to the Confederates:
Union commander Gen. Irvin McDowell lamented, "The retreat soon became a rout, and this soon degenerated into a panic." Said another Union officer, "No efforts could induce a single regiment to form after the retreat was commenced." The disorganized mob of Yankees ran back toward Washington, sweeping along with them picknicking civilians and members of the U.S. Congress who had come out to watch the battle.
That's not for me, I'd rather watch a one-on-one from the stands with peanuts and Cracker Jacks, and maybe a brew or two. :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

grondmaster

The Battle Poll

Post#9 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:24 pm

Grondy says: I have moved the following posts from a thread under the Prancing Pony to here in order to be with the rest of the poll discussions.
________________________________________________________________________________
Grep Posted Friday 24th March 2006 (10:20am)
So which of these fights would you like to view from a distance?

Me? Helms deep, but i'd like to see it from the keep - just for the spectacle a small force of men confronted by 10k orcs and uruk hai!

________________________________________________________________________________
Elessar Lossëhelin Posted Friday 24th March 2006 (12:27pm)
i would love to have seen Helm's Deep as well and see the waves and waves of arrows flying around in the air, plus i would have loved to have fought beside Aragorn Big Smile Smilie, also, the fight lasted a whole night so how many would really be alive by the end??? (compared to the beggining)

MorambarPosted Friday 24th March 2006 (03:43pm)
Which of THESE fights? For me it was a toss up between Fingolgin vs. Morgoth or the Dagor Bragollach, with the latter edging ahead. If I could tolerate the sight, THE battle I'd like to see if the Fall of Gondolin, of which the Battle of the Pelennor is only the faintest echo, if with a radically different outcome. How Gondolin didn't make it into the fray when both the Gandalf vs. Balrog and Glorfindel vs. Balrog confrontations did I haven't a clue. The former seems the heavy favorite at the moment, but Gondolin is always first in my heart, even though totally absent from the poll. ;-p If I can't have that I'll take Dagor Bragollach, with the most doughty Noldorin lord vs. the most powerful Vala a close second.

VirumorPosted Saturday 25th March 2006 (12:48am)
Fingolfin vs Morgoth.

Apart from this : Fëanor vs the Balrogs, just so that a certain discussion with a particularly headstrong member could be solved once and for all... :-P

CloveressPosted Saturday 25th March 2006 (04:23am)
I picked Vee vs. Vir, because all the other battles wouldn't be fun if you were viewing them from a distance. I mean, with all the great battles, I'd like to see the details, but with Vee and Vir, I would vry much like to keep my distance.

MorambarPosted Saturday 25th March 2006 (06:39am)
Wow, I've never seen someone who WANTED to be proven wrong so badly. ;-p So, how is it Gandalf vs. the Balrog has a strong lead, but no one has chimed in supporting it? Movie fanboys have time to quickpoll, but not to justify it? ;-p I mean, Gandalf vs. the Balrog is on top, but Glorfindel vs. the Balrog, from which the former is obviously derived (quick, name two people who died when the Balrog they killed wrapped his whip around their leg and pulled them down the mountain with him that AREN'T Gandalf or Glorfindel) has NO VOTES AT ALL???! Does anyone else think this odd?
'Share and enjoy'

Vee

The Battle Poll

Post#10 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:31 am

I voted for the Siege at Minas Tirith - not because of the movies but because, like Gandalf, certain events from LotR have imprinted themselves on my brain over the years whereas I have only read the Sil 3-4 times and I don't know it as well as LotR. I was torn between Helm's Deep and Minis Tirith. Two great battles as told by Tolkien. I chose Minis Tirith because if I watched that one I would see more of Gandalf in action as well as Faramir, Theoden, Imrahil and Aragorn's wonderful entrance with Arwen's standard unfurling from the Black Ship plus I could watch the destruction of the Witch King, Grond in action and maybe even catch a glimpse of the elusive pukel-men.

Bring on the popcorn!

Return to “General Discussion”