Bravest Person Poll

Loss

Bravest Person Poll

Post#1 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:56 pm

well i voted for Beren, he went down uninvited to Morgoths Pad, how outrageously scary is that, very brave, so what do the rest of ya think???

grondmaster

Bravest Person Poll

Post#2 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:34 pm

I also voted for Beren for the same reason; though it would have been Frodo except he was relying on Gandalf to get him past the rough spots and he really didn't know what he was up against.
'Share and enjoy'

Vee

Bravest Person Poll

Post#3 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:51 pm

In some ways, Grondy, that would make Frodo bravest. He lacked tactical skills, weapons training, strength, experience... just about lacking in everything the others had. From Bree to Rivendell he suffered danger and near death yet still he volunteered. I don't think he fully understood what could or would happen but he accepted the Quest anyway although by that time he had a better understanding of the evil they were up against.

I think that showed bravery. Maybe greater than the others because of his lacking in the usual 'hero' skills.

I haven't decided yet.

cloveress

Bravest Person Poll

Post#4 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:38 am

I voted for Frodo without much hesitation. For basically the same reasons Vee mentioned. He was a nobody, nothing but a hobbit who likes to sit out in the sun and dream of far-fetched adventures. He had no training, no experience, nothing except a bit of hobbit courage. The fact that he knew he was going into something he couldn't get out of, and the fact that he knew that anyone would have little chance of completing the task that was set to him, makes him seem all the braver for sticking to the path to Mordor.

Another part of the bravery shown in Frodo is his willing to accept the psycological burden of carrying the Ring. Not many people are willing to accept a task that has a little chance of success, but even fewer people would accept a task that has a little chance of success and grave consequences.

Yet others may also argue that Frodo's oblivion is a reason for NOT makiing him brave. A fool might go into a lion's cave but that doesn't make him brave, it makes him a fool. To this, I would argue back that Frodo was not ignorant of danger, though he may have been ignorant of many other things. There's that little sort of hobbit danger-sensor in him that knows what is out there and the possibilities.

Morambar

Bravest Person Poll

Post#5 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:51 am

I chose Hurin, and don't see how anyone could do otherwise, but then likely many others feel the same about their choices. Sure, Beren went to Angbanc uninvited, but that only underscores Hurin for me: he STAYED, defied Morgoth to his face for the bulk of his life, knowing that at any time he could have been released if only he would betray Turgon, as he watched his entire family systematically destroyed. Hurin Thalion rightly called the Steadfast; he was the bravest of them all.

virumor

Bravest Person Poll

Post#6 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:17 am

I voted for Beren. Going desperado in Taur-nu-Fuin, crossing the Nan Dungortheb, winning/stealing the heart of the loveliest creature ever, then taking up the quest to retrieve a Silmaril does it for me.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Loss

Bravest Person Poll

Post#7 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:34 am

for once, i agree with Vir 100% :elfbiggrin:

virumor

Bravest Person Poll

Post#8 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:06 am

I chose Hurin, and don't see how anyone could do otherwise, but then likely many others feel the same about their choices. Sure, Beren went to Angbanc uninvited, but that only underscores Hurin for me: he STAYED, defied Morgoth to his face for the bulk of his life, knowing that at any time he could have been released if only he would betray Turgon, as he watched his entire family systematically destroyed.

No, he was forced to stay on his seat until his whole family was destroyed just because he had defied Morgoth. At that point he had lost any chance of being released even if he would have betrayed Turgon :
There he was bound by the power of Morgoth, and Morgoth standing beside him cursed him again; and he said: 'Sit now there; and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come upon those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, Master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shalt thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end.'

Morambar

Bravest Person Poll

Post#9 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:55 pm

Oh, c'mon, you don't think he could have made an offer conditional on release, indeed, it seemed implicit in the whole undertaking. "Any time you're ready Hurin 'Thalion' just say the word.... " Naetheless, only three people ever defied Morgoth to his face, and of those one was the strongest of all the Valar, the other was turned into hamburger by a single blow of Grond and the other--the other walked out of Angband and went to see and then bury his wife. Not to diminish Beren, for whom I have deep respect, but when he went to Angband he stood very still and let Luthien do all the talking, then got the heck out of Dodge as fast as he could when it looked like Morgoth MIGHT awaken. If anything, SHE'S the one that gets marks for bravery there. And by the way, why is Earendil misspelled? ;-p

virumor

Bravest Person Poll

Post#10 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:53 am

Naetheless, only three people ever defied Morgoth to his face, and of those one was the strongest of all the Valar, the other was turned into hamburger by a single blow of Grond and the other--the other walked out of Angband and went to see and then bury his wife.

You're forgetting Lúthien, who was the second one next to Tulkas who toppled Morgoth.

Besides, Fingolfin was not turned into a hamburger; he was smitten by Morgoth's shield after having skillfully avoided many hammer blows. After that, his body was saved from being devoured by Morgoth's wolves by Thorondor.

Return to “General Discussion”