Poll: Favorite Vala

grondmaster

Post#1 » Wed May 03, 2006 4:03 pm

The new poll was suggested by Virumor who did spell their names correctly, as did I when I entered them; somehow all the special letters were converted by the poll program into capitals rather than lower case. Anyway, unless Grep can fix them with his magic wand, we will have to live with them.

I chose Yavanna because she was worried about what we Dwarves would do to nature and because of this the Ents and Giant Eagles were brought to Middle-earth to keep us from doing too much damage. To bad they are no longer around to pound some sense into humankind.
'Share and enjoy'

virumor

Post#2 » Wed May 03, 2006 4:20 pm

I voted Ulmo because he was the only Vala who never abandoned the Noldor in Exile; furthermore, it was him who sent Turgon and Tuor to Gondolin so that Eärendil, the saviour of the Noldor and Atani could come into being.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Morambar

Post#3 » Wed May 03, 2006 11:36 pm

Noldor lover! ;-p I agree, essentially for all the reasons you stated plus a basic love of water in general and the sea, the reasons for his deep reverence from the Eldar. In terms of affection he's probably second only to Varda in their hearts, and it was a tough call for me, too.

Loss

Post#4 » Thu May 04, 2006 3:50 am

yay ive ben waiting for a poll with this in it, thanks Vir :D

i chose Nienna and as i can see she is one of the top with 22%, but anyway, i chose her as she did play a part with dealings of Gandalf, you must think, where did the great wizard Gandalf learn his qualities?? i liked the fact that she taught him and suceeded, she did a well done job of it.

Her tears helped grow the two tress of Valinor, it shows that 'beings' that are higher than mere mortals can have feelings and can fell hurt over a matter, she is hurt for the sufferings of Arda, a very sad Vala, i like her the best as she takes her own self and is a part of things.

virumor

Post#5 » Thu May 04, 2006 11:38 am

In terms of affection he's probably second only to Varda in their hearts, and it was a tough call for me, too.

I think Aulë was second for the Noldor.

Ulmo would be second probably for the Teleri; both Manwë & Varda would be closest to the Vanyar.

As for Nienna, she's my second favourite Vala; and without a doubt my favourite of the Valier, even before Varda.

Νinerl

Post#6 » Thu May 04, 2006 11:46 am

I chose Nienna because she was the Valar that healed all the pain melkor spead.As loss said gandalf learned a couple of things from her.She was a healing being who grieved for Ea and valinor,that's why I like her!

Vee

Post#7 » Fri May 05, 2006 5:37 pm

A difficult question. I like Yavanna because of the Trees, I like Aule because of his craftsmanship but most of all I like Ulmo because he is set apart from the others and does not like to walk the land yet most of all I Ulmo because of Tolkien's words that say "Nonetheless Ulmo loves both Elves and Men, and never abandoned them, not even when they lay under the wrath of the Valar."

He never abandoned them. Bless.

Morambar

Post#8 » Fri May 05, 2006 11:21 pm

Fair point on Aule, Vir, I'd somehow let that slip my mind, but they were the Deep Elves for a reason. And yeah, I agree with you on Ulmo, Vee, another more overt example of the Professors theology creeping into the Silmarillion. Without Ulmo Morgoth rules Middle-earth, which, of course, the Professor would never allow.

cloveress

Post#9 » Fri May 05, 2006 11:49 pm

I suppose my vote should be perfectly predictable due to my love of plants. Yavanna has always been an object of reverance to me. Although I do like the others a lot (presumably Ulmo for the wisdom and Mandos for the solemnity of fate), I think Yavanna held a great heart in marrying Aule, who I think would cut down more than a few of her trees, and in going to Middle-Earth to look after the fruits of her labour during the dark times when Morgoth hid there.

She worries so much about her olvar and kelvar that it almost seems selfish, but I think it's reasonable since she did make them and they were there to keep the earth in good shape, as well as provide all the Children with necessities for life.

Of the Valier she is second only to Varda, it is said in the book, and I like Varda a lot too. It's just they're different types. Varda is holy, powerful, fair, and one to be revered in temples and sacred sites. She is the one you would look up to the sky and pray to, but Yavanna is the one you would look down upon the earth and thank.

virumor

Post#10 » Sat May 06, 2006 8:59 am

I suppose my vote should be perfectly predictable due to my love of plants.

It could've been Vána too, then.

Varda is holy, powerful, fair, and one to be revered in temples and sacred sites.

Not at all, she's the one who's revered to by singing.

As far as I know, the only ones who built temples were the Númenorans, and that were temples devoted to Eru. The Valar have no need, nor longing for such self-indulgent structures.

Return to “General Discussion”