Poll: Fellowship Exclusion

grondmaster

Post#1 » Fri May 26, 2006 4:38 pm

If the fellowship could have only eight members, who would you leave behind??

I decided to leave out Legolas, because when I was trying to who decide who I thought they could complete the story without, he was the only one who I couldn't find someone else to do his job. Aragorn could speak Elvish to Haldir on the edge of Lothlorien; he could also befriend Gimli; being a ranger he might have spotted the crebain in Hollin and got the party undercover without being spotted; and he also had a bow.

Still, now I'm try to remember Gimli's critical contributions: his axework helped Aragorn hold the gate at Helm's Deep while it was strengthened from the inside; Legolass's bow or knife wouldn't have been as much help there. Boromir's betrayal helped make up Frodo's mind to go on alone; Pippin saved Faramir's life; Merry helped Eruwen slay the Nazgul Witch King; Gandalf got them past the Balrog; Aragorn saved Gondor by disrupting the Pirates of Umbar with the oathbreakers; Frodo and Sam got the Ring to Mount Doom. What were Legolass's critical contribution? I don't know.

This is a good poll because it makes us think.
'Share and enjoy'

Vee

Post#2 » Fri May 26, 2006 4:41 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Vee

Post#3 » Fri May 26, 2006 4:42 pm

Grondy and I seem to be having a competition as to who can start and delete the most threads about this poll.

Grondy - I'll wait a few mins then delete my thread. Leave this one. Step away from this one!

Difficult Poll because each had a contribution to make. I'm thinking Boromir's absence would have the least impact on the final outcome. Then I read Grondy's post and thought - Mmmm, yes, Legolas was dispensable...

Frodo - had the Ring
Sam - Frodo wouldn't have made it without him
Gandalf - absolute necessity
Aragorn - Paths of the Dead and all that
Merry - Witchking
Pippin - saved Faramir (OK, maybe not *that* important to the outcome but important to me)
Legolas - needed for fighting and elven stuff
Gimli - possibly could have been left behind but good fighter and better temperament than Boromir.

I haven't made my final decision. Any ideas anyone? Any support for Boromir?

virumor

Post#4 » Fri May 26, 2006 6:29 pm

I chose for Legolas, because he does diddly-squat, save perchance shoot the fell beast, and sing songs.

At least Gimli dragged Pippin from under a Troll/Olog-hai, and had this amusing argument with Éomer regarding which Elven bird was hottest.

As for Boromir, he butchered some Orcs in the chamber of Mazarbûl, and set Frodo on the right track by scaring the lil bugger a little. And he died a glorious death, as a pincushion for the Uruk-hai.

Grondy posted:
Merry helped Eruwen slay the Nazgul Witch King

Freudian slip?! Confused by her avatar? :elfbiggrin:
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

caudimordax

Post#5 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:37 pm

I remember several times where the fellowship relied heavily on Legolas's great sight. I think that Legolas was too instrumental to leave out. But the story would still be complete without Boromir. He died 1/3 of the way through the story anyways. So I pick him to be left out.

cloveress

Post#6 » Fri May 26, 2006 10:19 pm

I also picked Boromir, not because he died at the very beginning of TTT, though. In the Fellowship, he played an important role in setting Frodo on the right track to Mt. Doom. But this, I think, might have occured even if Boromir wasn't there. Gandalf knew, after he was reborn, that he would have to raise the armies of Gondor and Rohan together to distract or defeat Mordor. Without Boromir, his plans would still have worked, since he was on good terms with Faramir and he could win the support of Theoden by getting rid of Saruman. Then, he would probably send Aragorn to go with Frodo to Mt. Doom (because Aragorn is not one to be seen by Denethor), and Sam, of course, would tag along. Merry and Pippin will be in Rohan and Gondor. And the two warriors Legolas and Gimli will be fighing alongside Gandalf. Then along the way, some messenger of Elrond's will find Aragorn and call him back to summon the oathbreakers, and Frodo and Sam will go on alone to Mt. Doom, where the story continues the way it had.

Thus, I do not think Boromir was that essential to the plot, except as an unpleasant pain to the other members (which might be good, but not essential).

And btw, I wouldn't kick Gimli out, since he had to represent the Dwarves. I mean, can you imagine the political conflict it would bring if there was no Dwarf in the Fellowship?

Νinerl

Post#7 » Sat May 27, 2006 5:17 am

I decided to leave Boromir out because he might have been a very good warior but besides that he was real trouble mainly for Frodo(he also tried to take the ring).Legolas bow and sight in combination with gimlis ax helped a lot.Gandalf and Aragorn were the leaders that helped the others cope up.Pipin and Merry helped the Ents go to war and served important leaders Theoden,Denethor).Last but not least,Frodo's resistanse of the ring's power and Sam's endless devotion to his friend fulfiled the quest.Theese are the reasons Ithink Boromir's presence was not vital for the Fellowship.

Lord Of All

Post#8 » Sat May 27, 2006 7:24 am

The answer is obvious, or at least it should be:

"Legolas probably achieved least of the Nine Walkers."
(Unfinished Tales)

Boromir, although achieving the highest votes in the poll, most definately not the least of the Nine Walkers.

valedhelgwath

Post#9 » Sun May 28, 2006 3:14 am

"Legolas probably achieved least of the Nine Walkers."

I remember reading that quote somewhere, but couldn't remember where. Isn't it part of a passage talking about the decline of the elves towards the end of the Third Age and their passage into the West? The bit about Legolas was kind of tacked onto the end of it as way of an example. At the time I always thought that was not fair, as in my opinion Legolas achieved as much as Gimli. I always used to see Pippin as expendable, but he was intrumental in making Sauron believe Saruman had betrayed him....

... there again, so what? What did that actually achieve? It was Aragorn who eventually drew him out by looking into the Palantir himself. Pippin maybe helped Merry survive long enough to eventually kill the witchking. He helped convince Treebeard to join the war, but Gandalf had already got that in hand as he had spoken to Treebeard before the hobbits even met him.

What did Gimli do that no one else could have? One of the Rohirrim could have helped Aragorn hold the gate if Gimli had not been there. He killed, what 40-some uruks in the battle of Helm's Deep. Not a huge amount considering there were 10,000 of them.

To me it would be either Pippin or Gimli.... I'm going for Pippin.

Lord Of All

Post#10 » Sun May 28, 2006 3:33 am

Were there 10 000 at the battle for Helm's deep? I thought that was just a movie thing, 10 000 Uruk - hai.
I thought it was just meant to be a large army of Orcs and Dunland men?

Return to “General Discussion”